NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 990M: Full GM204 GPU w/ 2048 Cores

HKZeroFive

I somehow doubt that Apple would opt for NVIDIA GPUs such as this one anyway. It doesn't fit their design and form factor, and how will they be able to cool It?

I would assume the same way they cooled the GTX680M & GTX780M & the current M295X in the past 3 years of 27" iMac's.

All of those where the "flagship" mobile GPU's & put out the most heat in the mobile line-up when released & sold in the corresponding iMac.

...so it's a gtx 980 with more vram than its bus can handle. That definitely needed a new name... lol. It's also going to drink your battery like a construction worker after 10 days of work in the desert without water.

Are we really still kvetching over bus width? Net bandwidth is all that matters. A 256-bit bus at 10GHz is equivalent to a 512 at 5GHz. That said I know Nvidia's VRAM operates at either 6 or 7GHz for mobile, but the point still stands.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I somehow doubt that Apple would opt for NVIDIA GPUs such as this one anyway. It doesn't fit their design and form factor, and how will they be able to cool It?

Passive liquid cooling. They're nixing the fan and turning the entire aluminum chassis into a passive heat sink with a flat-pipe fluid pump system inside. It shall be as gloriously quiet and powerful as the Mac Pro 2 cooling system. All hail Steve Jobs who guides us and shelters us even now from the heathens of Windows. May our immunity to viruses never falter, and may our specs always be better. Amen.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I would assume the same way they cooled the GTX680M & GTX780M & the current M295X in the past 3 years of 27" iMac's.

All of those where the "flagship" mobile GPU's & put out the most heat in the mobile line-up when released & sold in the corresponding iMac.

If I recall correctly, the M295X was reported to hit constant temperatures of 100 degrees Celsius in the 5K iMac.

Although this is pretty much a desktop 980, I willing to bet that cooling system will not be a viable option in the near future.

Passive liquid cooling. They're nixing the fan and turning the entire aluminum chassis into a passive heat sink with a flat-pipe fluid pump system inside. It shall be as gloriously quiet and powerful as the Mac Pro 2 cooling system. All hail Steve Jobs who guides us and shelters us even now from the heathens of Windows. May our immunity to viruses never falter, and may our specs always be better. Amen.

You forgot to add a Kappa.

I mean the 980 full desktop is only 185W and I'm sure the mobile will come in closer to 150W, so when you consider that the 980m and the m295x are already running 122-125W and the former comes in sli I really don't understand how anyone could question the usability of this.

Now is it a better idea than 970m or 980m sli? Probably not. Will it consume less power and then not deal with sli issues? fuck yes.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

rip battery power and rip low temperetures

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

And I am in the market for a new laptop!!

If this was in something like the GS60 ghost I would be first in line

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Are we really still kvetching over bus width? Net bandwidth is all that matters. A 256-bit bus at 10GHz is equivalent to a 512 at 5GHz. That said I know Nvidia's VRAM operates at either 6 or 7GHz for mobile, but the point still stands.

At this point in time I doubt 10ghz is obtainable on gddr5 - hence why the bus width is insufficient. This clearly shows at 4k even on the 4gb version. So sure, if it WAS at 10ghz I wouldn't be mentioning it, but it isn't. Also, in this specific card the frequency is 5ghz, not 7. It has literally half the bandwidth of an r9 290 with twice the vram to handle. Pointless.

And I am in the market for a new laptop!!

If this was in something like the GS60 ghost I would be first in line

Unfortunately I have a feeling the envelope for this will need to be a bit bigger than that :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Unfortunately I have a feeling the envelope for this will need to be a bit bigger than that :P

I know, but a man can dream!!!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Nice. Now your laptop can be super expensive and also bad at DX12 too.

But seriously, it is impressive. I bet next year, when 14/16nm FF chips hit the market, that we will see very high performing laptop chips.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

DX supported: 12, umm... i'm not too sure about that... But whatever :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Nice. Now your laptop can be super expensive and also bad at DX12 too.

But seriously, it is impressive. I bet next year, when 14/16nm FF chips hit the market, that we will see very high performing laptop chips.

DX supported: 12, umm... i'm not too sure about that... But whatever :D

No, no, no! The benchmarks have bugs in them! The Async Compute wasn't meant to be on! Lies, all of them lies!

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Except it doesn't say anywhere it's called 990M, or am I blind?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Except it doesn't say anywhere it's called 990M, or am I blind?

Yeah you're right, but since it has more cores and a higher clock rate than the 980M, I think it's safe to call it the successor (aka 990M). Unless you can think of any other name, but I highly doubt they will call it anything else.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

No, no, no! The benchmarks have bugs in them! The Async Compute wasn't meant to be on! Lies, all of them lioxi

oxide compared nvidia cards with assync off and amd with assync on...nvidias fault that the key feature of DX12 isnt working on their cards

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

Yeah you're right, but since it has more cores and a higher clock rate than the 980M, I think it's safe to call it the successor (aka 990M). Unless you can think of any other name, but I highly doubt they will call it anything else.

Hm... Maybe 985M, the x90 was always a dual chip iirc. But yes I agree.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

oxide compared nvidia cards with assync off and amd with assync on...nvidias fault that the key feature of DX12 isnt working on their cards

Sarcasm my friend.

Hm... Maybe 985M, the x90 was always a dual chip iirc. But yes I agree.

True, but I guess the x90 series doesn't apply to mobile. But still, this is one beast of a mobile GPU!

Spoiler

I can I can cook eggs on that laptop

They should market that.

"It's a convertible! You can convert it from a laptop to a hotplate."

Holy F**k that's a desktop 980

But what's the tdp? Since, you know... MOBILE

if you enjoy burning a rectangle into any piece of furniture you place it on sure. why not. 

I am confused. When was Async Compute considered a Key DX12 feature? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D#Direct3D_12

If anything, it falls under optional, not mandatory. 

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-amd-directx-12-graphic-card-list-features-explained/3/

People saying that Maxwell does not support DX12 is odd, because it clearly does. From what i've seen, It supports Async Compute, it just does a poor job at using it when compared to what AMD can do with it. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

If I recall correctly, the M295X was reported to hit constant temperatures of 100 degrees Celsius in the 5K iMac.

Although this is pretty much a desktop 980, I willing to bet that cooling system will not be a viable option in the near future.

I think you may be correct however Apple takes a ridiculous stance on low noise at the expense of hardware safety. That can be easily rectified with a 3rd party app called "Macs Fan Control".

Also here's a link showing that the aforementioned M295X has a 250W TDP which is crazy for a "mobile" GPU. Since the desktop 980 is 185W I'm going to assume this alleged 990M will be at that TDP level or lower which would be super easy to handle compared to a M295X.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2587/radeon-r9-m295x-mac-edition.html