What type of storage?

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

For my new pc I'm really interested in having things on separate drives e.g 1: OS , 2: Games and then another mass storage drive. This seems to be a good way of keeping organised so I can remove drives and replace them if I want / need to in the future if there is a more attractive better performing option. 

I'm fairly new to the technical side of computers so I know the basics but I'm not really educated on the benefits of separation (besides what I stated) and noticeable performance increases or decreases when using different solutions.   

At the moment I'm on a 512GB SSD laptop. I'm worried that if I have a HDD as a secondary mass storage solution I'll notice a performance decrease when accessing music and other media, which is not what I'm looking for when upgrading. 

What would you suggest as far as sizing for the drives and what type (HDD, SSD, M.2, Pcie etc.) drives for OS, Games and Storage. As well as the performance differences going with a large 1TB SSD vs a HDD. 

Thanks.

Hey there TiTANiTE,

Having different storage drives on the same computer does not mean that one would decrease/bottleneck the performance of another. This can happen only if you are transferring files from one drive to another. Having a SSD for your OS and more demanding applications and a HDD for your games and media is actually a very good idea. Putting the OS on the SSD gives you much shorter boot and loading times, much more responsive computer and better transfer speeds. Games generally rely on the storage's performance only for their loading times and autosaves. FPS and graphics are not affected at all. Only few games need to load huge texture files while in-game (usually open-world games) so if you have such games, you can put them on the SSD. The rest can easily go on the HDD. Media, movies and photos can easily be stored on a simple storage HDD unless you are not working with them (editing, rendering, etc.). :)

Captain_WD.

For my new pc I'm really interested in having things on separate drives e.g 1: OS , 2: Games and then another mass storage drive. This seems to be a good way of keeping organised so I can remove drives and replace them if I want / need to in the future if there is a more attractive better performing option. 

I'm fairly new to the technical side of computers so I know the basics but I'm not really educated on the benefits of separation (besides what I stated) and noticeable performance increases or decreases when using different solutions.   

At the moment I'm on a 512GB SSD laptop. I'm worried that if I have a HDD as a secondary mass storage solution I'll notice a performance decrease when accessing music and other media, which is not what I'm looking for when upgrading. 

What would you suggest as far as sizing for the drives and what type (HDD, SSD, M.2, Pcie etc.) drives for OS, Games and Storage. As well as the performance differences going with a large 1TB SSD vs a HDD. 

Thanks.

Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100i Pro - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Samsung 850 500GB - WD Black 4TB

Get a 500GB SSD for OS, then partition it off for games. Then get like a 1-2TB HDD for mass storage.

Thanks.

Hey there TiTANiTE,

Having different storage drives on the same computer does not mean that one would decrease/bottleneck the performance of another. This can happen only if you are transferring files from one drive to another. Having a SSD for your OS and more demanding applications and a HDD for your games and media is actually a very good idea. Putting the OS on the SSD gives you much shorter boot and loading times, much more responsive computer and better transfer speeds. Games generally rely on the storage's performance only for their loading times and autosaves. FPS and graphics are not affected at all. Only few games need to load huge texture files while in-game (usually open-world games) so if you have such games, you can put them on the SSD. The rest can easily go on the HDD. Media, movies and photos can easily be stored on a simple storage HDD unless you are not working with them (editing, rendering, etc.). :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/