Would RAM work in this config?

matto97

Ok so i got a quad kit of RAM 4x4 but i bought the high profile one by acident and i am un able to return it as cant get anywhere to post it back and the car is out of order atm. So my motherboard has 8 slots and on it it says to fill 2 on the left side and 2 on the right side first.

Am i able to put all 4 dims in the right 4 slots and have it still work fine?
I plan on getting another 4 dims some time later and will make sure i get the low profile ones :P but if i get some that are the closest specs to the current ones i got and put them in the left 4 slots will the work ok and fix any problems and or what might happen.

Thanks.

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

That should work fine. 

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That should work fine. 

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory. 

Sorry about that, didn't even think about putting it in the section. And cool, just cant fit my single rad in the rear fan mount with the RAM currently how it is.

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

I won't run on quad channel, but it'll likely run. On paper the drop from quad to single channel is devastating but it might not show in real world use. Depends entirely on what you do. If I were you I'd run some benchmarks and tests to see if there's a drop in performance. 

I won't run on quad channel, but it'll likely run. On paper the drop from quad to single channel is devastating but it might not show in real world use. Depends entirely on what you do. If I were you I'd run some benchmarks and tests to see if there's a drop in performance. 

i plan to fill up all the lanes but this will be just for now till i upgrade my GPU and get SSD.

They should still at least be able to run in dual channel with this configuration. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They should still at least be able to run in dual channel with this configuration. 

Yeah, I almost said dual since it's definitely more likely that trere are no issues. But since it's off from anything the MoBo or RAM manufacturers intended, I suppose only single can be guaranteed. :)

Yeah, I almost said dual since it's definitely more likely that trere are no issues. But since it's off from anything the MoBo or RAM manufacturers intended, I suppose only single can be guaranteed. :)

Ram isn't inherently dual/quad channel or any specific frequency. Ram kits are just sticks tested to work at advertised settings. Quad channel kits are a result of 'friendlier' sticks that play nicely with each other. Dual channel is less finicky so any quad channel kit can just as easily be used in dual channel.

Ram isn't inherently dual/quad channel or any specific frequency. Ram kits are just sticks tested to work at advertised settings. Quad channel kits are a result of 'friendlier' sticks that play nicely with each other. Dual channel is less finicky so any quad channel kit can just as easily be used in dual channel.

Yep. It's the motherboard or maybe the CPU that causes the situations of "all or nothing". Quad or single but no dual in between. Especially i remember the days of x58 where it was a common problem.