DX12 - Time to switch to AMD?

TheCaptain53

So after the recent fiasco with the DX12 game Ashes of the Singularity regarding its benchmark, it shows that DX12 is benefiting from 'asynchronous computing', whatever the hell that is. I've read into it a little bit, but my puny brain is not capable of understanding it.

Anyway, the benchmark shows a massive performance boost for AMD's graphics hardware, even beating out some Nvidia hardware, of which it was previously outpaced.

Obviously legacy titles running on DX11 will run better on Nvidia hardware (generally) moving into the future, but DX12 holds great promise for AMD. In your opinions, do you think it's time to switch?

I'm thinking of picking up an R9 390X (if it's worth it) and then watercooling it when a block comes out for a custom PCB design.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Bias benchmarks without even being real-time ones, when there aren't DX12 games out there makes you think about switching?

Wait for DX12 games to come out, then you'll see what's what.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

So after the recent fiasco with the DX12 game Ashes of the Singularity regarding its benchmark, it shows that DX12 is benefiting from 'asynchronous computing', whatever the hell that is. I've read into it a little bit, but my puny brain is not capable of understanding it.

Anyway, the benchmark shows a massive performance boost for AMD's graphics hardware, even beating out some Nvidia hardware, of which it was previously outpaced.

Obviously legacy titles running on DX11 will run better on Nvidia hardware (generally) moving into the future, but DX12 holds great promise for AMD. In your opinions, do you think it's time to switch?

I'm thinking of picking up an R9 390X (if it's worth it) and then watercooling it when a block comes out for a custom PCB design.

I would get a 390X anyways but I wouldn't switch over to AMD based on one benchmark and like you said there will still DX11 games and DX12 games will takes months to come out so I don't think it's worth switching sides, I mean I would get the 390X because it's a better card but in the overall scheme you shouldn't switch sides based on one benchmark, if multiple benchmarks show a reoccurring pattern then maybe yes

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Bias benchmarks without even being real-time ones, when there aren't DX12 games out there makes you think about switching?

"so after some tumoltuous benchmark, do you think it's wise to make some arbitrary stab at future performance".

No.

The butthurt is strong with this one :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

'Bias'? Where's your evidence for this?

My rationale behind this possible change is that asynchronous computing seems to really drive performance, of which it is not supported on Nvidia (at least, not to the same extent) as compared to AMD. 

I will obviously at least wait until one or two more titles come out before making a decision. My only concern is that if the benchmarks show a big performance improvement, AMD may drive up their prices. Sort of want to get in there before they can (if they do).

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

why the hell are you wanting to burn money? a 970 should be plenty enough for the next year or 2, i would wait for that upgrade until many games are out for dx 12 and it is proven not only from a single benchmark that the amd side is much much better for dx12. and we don't know how nvidia will develop and optimize their future drivers for dx12

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

why the hell are you wanting to burn money? a 970 should be plenty enough for the next year or 2, i would wait for that upgrade until many games are out for dx 12 and it is proven not only from a single benchmark that the amd side is much much better for dx12. and we don't know how nvidia will develop and optimize their future drivers for dx12

Good? yes. As good as a 390 in DX12? Likely not.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

There is no driver optimization to be had - Nvidia is already using all of their hardware through their stellar drivers - but thing is - DX12 doesn't need drivers that much and A-sync Compute is simply NOT available on Nvidia's cards.

Not really bias, it just uses a feature which Nvidia chose not to implement.

@OP Not quite yet, the current cards on the market won't 100% support all the DirectX 12 features, and it's a while before most new titles use it. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

'Bias'? Where's your evidence for this?

My rationale behind this possible change is that asynchronous computing seems to really drive performance, of which it is not supported on Nvidia (at least, not to the same extent) as compared to AMD. 

I will obviously at least wait until one or two more titles come out before making a decision. My only concern is that if the benchmarks show a big performance improvement, AMD may drive up their prices. Sort of want to get in there before they can (if they do).

why should they rise their prices, i think they will make more money if their prices stay that low and they sell more. If they would behave like that, they would be not better than nvidia and would loose their "good price to performance ratio" image

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Not really bias, it just uses a feature which Nvidia chose not to implement.

@OP Not quite yet, the current cards on the market won't 100% support all the DirectX 12 features, and it's a while before most new titles use it. 

Thing is - Nvidia had access to the code and knew about this - supposedly 2 years in advance - they simply decided to gimp the 900 series as well.

why should they rise their prices, i think they will make more money if their prices stay that low and they sell more. If they would behave like that, they would be not better than nvidia and would loose their "good price to performance ratio" image

I suppose that's fair enough. I'll probably just wait.

I really hope they don't raise their prices now. xD

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

Thing is - Nvidia had access to the code and knew about this - supposedly 2 years in advance - they simply decided to gimp the 900 series as well.

Probably so loyal fanboys will buy another Nvidia card when they implement it in their next lineup. I'm quite pleased with this GTX 980 but i'm gonna be swapping back to Radeon cards next year.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Probably so loyal fanboys will buy another Nvidia card when they implement it in their next lineup. I'm quite pleased with this GTX 980 but i'm gonna be swapping back to Radeon cards next year.

I was actually considering getting a 950 if my card decides to kick the bucket buuuuut I'm not that sure anymore.

I'll play it by ear and see how it goes. If they don't raise their prices, then awesome!

I'm also kind of fed up with Nvidia's shitty business practices. 

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

Just wait and see what the future holds.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

Now is a horrible time to buy a GPU. Wait two months, since

1. We will know how the new wave of 2015 Christmas season releases run on each card. We'll know a lot more about DirectX12 by then too most likely.

2. November brings great prices on hardware.

3. You have a pretty freaking strong card already.

4. AMD is not going to raise their prices, they have huge market share deficiency to try to make up vs Nvidia.

So I was planning to sell my 980 (going 144hz 1440p) and getting the 980ti, but seeing how DX12 fares with amd, would crossfire also be affected by this?

Now is a horrible time to buy a GPU. Wait two months, since

1. We will know how the new wave of 2015 Christmas season releases run on each card. We'll know a lot more about DirectX12 by then too most likely.

2. November brings great prices on hardware.

3. You have a pretty freaking strong card already.

4. AMD is not going to raise their prices, they have huge market share deficiency to try to make up vs Nvidia.

That is a very good shout. Thanks for the advice. :)

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

I wouldn't jump ship until game developers release DX12 games yet. As for switching sides now, it wouldn't matter. By the time the games that uses the new API, new cards will be out. I'd personally go with AMD for raw performance but you know how the business goes, companies will just one-up the other every release cycle.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Funny how these same guys yelll about Nvidia 2% or 5% better on bench marks now they say wait until the new games come out. and ignore bench results now.