no custom PCBs for R9 Fury Nano

zMeul

source: http://www.expreview.com/42696.html via http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-will-not-allow-partners-to-modify-specs-of-radeon-r9-nano/

amd_radeon_r9_nano_1.jpg

The only thing that AMD’s partners will be allowed to modify is the cooling system of the product. Producers of graphics adapters will not be able to increase clock-rates of their Radeon R9 Nano or significantly adjust printed-circuit boards.

Custom versions of AMD Radeon R9 Nano will have to preserve form-factor of the graphics card and should be compliant with mini-ITX standards. Thermal design power of partner’s Radeon R9 Nano graphics cards will have to be the same as TDP of AMD’s version.

---

there you have it, AIB partners aren't able to make completely customized versions of the Fury Nano

the only thing that they can modify, and at this point I wonder what can it be since mini-ITX specs must be respected, is the cooling - put a waterblock on it? but then you'll get the exact same thing as the Fury X

what you see is what you'll get:

R9Nano_17.jpg

---

something I noticed, and I suspect it has to do with the lock-ins: except Sapphire, no one else (main vendors) picked up the R9 Fury nor the R9 Nano

ASUS, GigaByte, MSI and XFX only sell the Fury X

I suspect it's because they can't be bothered to create a custom cooler that works for the R9 Fury and can't use it on the Nano, at least

ASUS has the Strixx R9 Fury and the R9 Nano

Well - a blower design? I would love a blower nano ^_^

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It'd be a water-cooled Fury with a possibly smaller footprint, could be useful in conjunction with a PCI-E riser-card for a flat SFF case.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I'd like to think that they know people might not be familiar enough with the design vs previous designs and such, but no really, we've had ITX cards for a while now this is just fucking nonsense AMD.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well - a blower design? I would love a blower nano ^_^

if you look at it, AMD's design pretty much works similarly to a blower design, pushing air outside of the case

source: http://www.expreview.com/42696.html via http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-will-not-allow-partners-to-modify-specs-of-radeon-r9-nano/

amd_radeon_r9_nano_1.jpg

---

there you have it, AIB partners aren't able to make completely customized versions of the Fury Nano

the only thing that they can modify, and at this point I wonder what can it be since mini-ITX specs must be respected, is the cooling - put a waterblock on it? but then you'll get the exact same thing as the Fury X

what you see is what you'll get:

R9Nano_17.jpg

this is good news... better custom coolers = more likely to reach the 1GHz max clock rather then hitting TJMAX all the time.

if you look at it, AMD's design pretty much works similarly to a blower design, pushing air outside of the case

But blowers are sexy - i secretly fap to them. . .  pretend you didn't read that :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It'd be a water-cooled Fury with a possibly smaller footprint, could be useful in conjunction with a PCI-E riser-card for a flat SFF case.

smaller footprint that what? Fury X? but the PCB is pretty much identical - I would bet EK's Fury X waterblocks would fit Nano

this is good news... better custom coolers = more likely to reach the 1GHz max clock rather then hitting TJMAX all the time.

you haven't read the post properly ...

AMD isn't allowing anyone to surpass their rated TDP, their aren't allowed to raise clocks .. at all!

AMD pls

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Says*

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I have a feeling a custom board with insane vrms and all that stuffs might make the nano pretty fast 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

HOF nano

Heh, that'll be illegal and only found in the black market ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

.....I still fail to see the "good" part about that....

-------

Current Rig

-------

Jesus guys, it is not like the fury x doesn't exist..

The fury x is at exactly the same pricepoint. Same chip.

EDIT: cleared it up

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

you haven't read the post properly ...

AMD isn't allowing anyone to surpass their rated TDP, their aren't allowed to raise clocks .. at all!

let me clarify

AMD has stated that the rated TOP CLOCK SPEED OF 1000 MHz IS UNLIKELY TO BE ATTAINED DURING HEAVY WORKLOADS.

REALISTIC CLOCK SPEEDS SHOULD BE AROUND 800-900 DUE TO THERMAL LIMITATIONS!!!!!

CUSTOM COOLERS WOULD MAKE SURE THAT THIS TDP WOULD BE CONTAINED. MEANING AMD IS SIMPLY SAYING "OUR COOLER CANNOT DO THE JOB, SO WE WILL LEAVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE TO FIX IT"

Edited by Godlygamer23
Lowered font size.

AMD stated this is a dual-flagship launch between the Nano and FuryX, and both are reference design only. Therefore, the only logical response is to:

65700-Jon-Stewart-mind-blown-gif-kNso.gi

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

gTs5wf2.png

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

WHY ?!

Perhaps this has something to do with SK Hynix? Not really sure though, maybe they aren't allowed to change anything that can directly affect the HBM and perhaps shorten its life span?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Honestly.

If AMD allowed custom Fury Nano and AIB partners would go full out with it then that would be shooting themselves into foot too.

Why?

Fury Nano is expensive as hell to make because it requires some serious bining so it is in a very low supply. Also HBM is in a very low supply.

It would be a waste to let AIB partners make this into a Fury X as Nano is meant to be very low power and form factor.

AMD should instead let AIB partners make custom Fury X and I think they will but not until HBM will increase in supply.