Need help with BT Business Fibre (UK)

ThePkSloth

Does the DSL light on the BT modem go out when the connection drops or is it just the ( B) Broadband light on the home hub ?

Yes you could get a better modem, a better router, but what you have been given is good enough and should work and BT should help sort the matter.

Is the socket its plugged into a "master socket", if yes remove the faceplate and plug into the rear port and let me know if that helps keep the connection stable.

bt%20socket_zpsqhwkv4ej.jpg

Was the DSL filter a new one ?

Also it can take more than a week for the line to balance out.

Does the DSL light on the BT modem go out when the connection drops or is it just the ( B) Broadband light on the home hub ?

Yes you could get a better modem, a better router, but what you have been given is good enough and should work and BT should help sort the matter.

Is the socket its plugged into a "master socket", if yes remove the faceplate and plug into the rear port and let me know if that helps keep the connection stable.

I have already given the reason for the drop outs, it's the home hub 5 and nothing else :)

If you look in the log it looks like he has vdsl which means they don't actually test It for 10 days so I dno why they lied to him, they only test it for 10 days on adsl, also his snr margins look fine and are both over 6db.

This needs sorting fast as your line speed is dropping and dropping because it thinks it needs stabilizing and the longer you leave it the more your speed will drop and your ping will get higher due to interleave, it can take up to 3 weeks of solid connection to return to normal.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

I have already given the reason for the drop outs, it's the home hub 5 and nothing else :)

If you look in the log it looks like he has vdsl which means they don't actually test It for 10 days so I dno why they lied to him, they only test it for 10 days on adsl, also his snr margins look fine and are both over 6db.

This needs sorting fast as your line speed is dropping and dropping because it thinks it needs stabilizing and the longer you leave it the more your speed will drop and your ping will get higher due to interleave, it can take up to 3 weeks of solid connection to return to normal.

Alternatively keep bitching at them over the phone :P. And they can reset it to max and let it re-balance.

The main light turns orange and blinks occasionally, then the b symbol underneath it turns orange as well, on the paper inside the router box it says this symbol means "You're connected to broadband but your account might not be switched on yet"

Everything i have used came out of the box they gave me

I've been on the online chat with them and they have run a test and acknowledged it disconnected 7 times in a few hours, they want me to connect it to the port inside the socket for a 24hr period and see if that helps. But the problem with that is i had a period of 2 and a half days where it was completely fine, now it has gone back to disconnecting all the time

Also, it has been two weeks now since it was connected

do you know if youre on adsl or vdsl (fibre) ?

what you can do for me is login to the router page at 192.168.1.254

the password will be on the router to login

then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and send me a screenshot of that page with the speeds 

note- it might not ask for the password until you click helpdesk.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Yeah, the VSDL2 Modem in the HH5 is not the best.

As others have said, get one of the Modems from Openreach and connect it, I have done so before and it increased speed and lowered ping.

Yeah, the VSDL2 Modem in the HH5 is not the best.

As others have said, get one of the Modems from Openreach and connect it, I have done so before and it increased speed and lowered ping.

i have an unlocked hg612 and it had the old firmware and when my cabinet was upgraded to G.inp i got interleave and my speed dropped 12 Mbps, i then updated the firmware and all sorted.

I would advise you to call your ISP.

From the log it seems that the router is training as it should but the connection is dropped by their ACS server when it tries to configure your router with the settings that are set up in the ACS.

It is a common problem if they have the wrong MAC address in the ACS configured for you (if they use that as authentication).

The speeds and noise margins seems to be ok :)

I would advise you to call your ISP.

From the log it seems that the router is training as it should but the connection is dropped by their ACS server when it tries to configure your router with the settings that are set up in the ACS.

It is a common problem if they have the wrong MAC address in the ACS configured for you (if they use that as authentication).

The speeds and noise margins seems to be ok :)

its deffo not that invis, im with the same isp and have the same router (had 3 of them) and they do the same thing, if you google "home hub 5 reboot" you will see many people with this issue, the fact the isp still make these routers is a piss take.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/24/bt_takes_a_whole_year_to_fix_home_hub_5_glitch/    <---- expect its not fixed the fuckwits they are.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/uk-isp-bt-fixes-homehub-5a-fttc-router-disconnection-and-reboot-bug.html

I guarantee if you use the home hub 5, and have disconnects then you must have a fault on your internal wiring or on the external wiring (otherside of master socket) Have you tried the test socket? if you have the newer style socket.

If you have the socket with with an openreach logo on the front, I highly recommend you get one of these once BT repair the fault: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT-Openreach-Interstitial-Compatible/dp/B00NMUXPOS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1441313031&sr=8-5&keywords=openreach+filter

This negates the need for those stupid micro-filters and if you combine that with an RJ45 - RJ11 twisted pair cable for the connection to the home hub then you will be set. There is no need to replace it for non-standard equipment unless you have a need for features etc that other modems/routers provide. The latest firmware on the home hub 5 is far better than previous versions which gave the home hub it's "bad" reputation. 

The error's you are getting in the logs are normal for a line with faults, I've seen the same countless times.

Main PC: i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz Corsair H100i V2 | MSI GD65-Z77A | NZXT Tempest 410 Elite | MSI 1080Ti Gaming | Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB @ 1600Mhz | 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Seagate 2TB | Corsair RM650x

I guarantee if you use the home hub 5, and have disconnects then you must have a fault on your internal wiring or on the external wiring (otherside of master socket) Have you tried the test socket? if you have the newer style socket.

If you have the socket with with an openreach logo on the front, I highly recommend you get one of these once BT repair the fault: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT-Openreach-Interstitial-Compatible/dp/B00NMUXPOS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1441313031&sr=8-5&keywords=openreach+filter

This negates the need for those stupid micro-filters and if you combine that with an RJ45 - RJ11 twisted pair cable for the connection to the home hub then you will be set. There is no need to replace it for non-standard equipment unless you have a need for features etc that other modems/routers provide. The latest firmware on the home hub 5 is far better than previous versions which gave the home hub it's "bad" reputation. 

The error's you are getting in the logs are normal for a line with faults, I've seen the same countless times.

As I have said in previous posts it's the router itself, I've seen his router stats and they look fine, if he had a line fault it would show in his noise margins etc, read what's in the links I posted, I'm 100% sure it's the router.

i have an unlocked hg612 and it had the old firmware and when my cabinet was upgraded to G.inp i got interleave and my speed dropped 12 Mbps, i then updated the firmware and all sorted.

Yes, however the BT Hubs auto update their Firmware so it will be the latest and even so your modem will not be the same as what is in the hub

Yes, however the BT Hubs auto update their Firmware so it will be the latest and even so your modem will not be the same as what is in the hub

I have 3 home hub 5s and they all do the same thing, they are all updated, I can bet you £1000 as soon as he gets a modem his connection will become solid.

If he had a fault on his line as I have already said, his noise margins would be low and the drop outs would be a lot more than he has said, he can also try the phone and if there is crackling then it is the line but I doubt this is the problem.

I have 3 home hub 5s and they all do the same thing, they are all updated, I can bet you £1000 as soon as he gets a modem his connection will become solid.

If he had a fault on his line as I have already said, his noise margins would be low and the drop outs would be a lot more than he has said, he can also try the phone and if there is crackling then it is the line but I doubt this is the problem.

Where did I say that with a Modem his connection wouldn't be solid?

read my original post: "get one of the Modems from Openreach and connect it, I have done so before and it increased speed and lowered ping."

I was simply stating that the firmware auto updates on the hub unlike the modems so he would not have to.