Links to newbie friendly guide for building computers?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I'm building my first rig come Thursday and I'd like to prepare myself ahead of time. I'd like to know a guide that you recommend for first time builders like me. I don't want to damage anything and I want to be as careful as possible. I've heard horror stories of people accidentally plugging in cables to the wrong ports in the PSU and then burning their computer parts. lol.

I'm also planning to overclock my CPU, GPU, and RAM (just for the heck of it). If you've got a guide or methodology that you swear by, please go ahead and link them down below as well. 

My rig's specs:

i5 4670k

Asus Z97M-Plus &

1 x HyperX Fury 8GB 1886mhz

Samsung 850 250GB

Noctua NH U14S

1 x WD Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5” 7200RPM

Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium Windowed)

NVIDIA Palit GTX 980 TI 6GB Super Jetstream

SeaSonic M12II 850W

2 x AP 121 120mm and 2 x Fractal Design R2 120mm fans

going to purchase another WD Caviar Blue and another stick of ram down the line. Budget is tight as it is. Parts were chosen mainly because I got great deals in my country (ie The AP fans were a steal and they barely cost a dime. The Fractal fans were sold for cheap and I wanted them to complement the black/white design of my case)

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

JayzTwoCents has a pretty good video up: 

This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons. 

This is a friendly guide:

inb4: "u hav been ninja'd m9 xd"

it's a different video.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

-snip-

it's a different video.

u hav been ninja'd m9 xD

u hav been ninja'd m9 xD

nPciF36.gif

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

JayzTwoCents has a pretty good video up: 

it's a different video.

Will go with the Silent build of Linus! The R4 is very similar to the R5 :) 

Haha. Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate all the help. Now with overclocking (which I might delay for a week. I want to get my software and games first :) )

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Will go with the Silent build of Linus! The R4 is very similar to the R5 :) 

Haha. Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate all the help. Now with overclocking (which I might delay for a week. I want to get my software and games first :) )

This video is a guide on how to OC a 4670K (your CPU) or 4770K

This video is a guide on how to OC a 4670K (your CPU) or 4770K

Oh cool. Glad its by Linus himself, haha. :D Thank you!

I'm building my first rig come Thursday and I'd like to prepare myself ahead of time. I'd like to know a guide that you recommend for first time builders like me. I don't want to damage anything and I want to be as careful as possible. I've heard horror stories of people accidentally plugging in cables to the wrong ports in the PSU and then burning their computer parts. lol.

I'm also planning to overclock my CPU, GPU, and RAM (just for the heck of it). If you've got a guide or methodology that you swear by, please go ahead and link them down below as well. 

My rig's specs:

i5 4670k

Asus Z97M-Plus &

1 x HyperX Fury 8GB 1886mhz

Samsung 850 250GB

Noctua NH U14S

1 x WD Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5” 7200RPM

Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium Windowed)

NVIDIA Palit GTX 980 TI 6GB Super Jetstream

SeaSonic M12II 850W

2 x AP 121 120mm and 2 x Fractal Design R2 120mm fans

going to purchase another WD Caviar Blue and another stick of ram down the line. Budget is tight as it is. Parts were chosen mainly because I got great deals in my country (ie The AP fans were a steal and they barely cost a dime. The Fractal fans were sold for cheap and I wanted them to complement the black/white design of my case)

Every linus tech tips computer build guide....ever

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them