tips for college freshman?

Tocsin_786

so im starting college in 2 days, and i dont have a single clue as to what to do. I dont even know what supplies to get so i bought some notebooks and a folder, I just transferred my schedule to google calendar and feel like i didnt pick the right classes, do you guys have any tips for us college freshman? 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Party all day, stay up all night finishing your work.

Google is your friend.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

so im starting college in 2 days, and i dont have a single clue as to what to do. I dont even know what supplies to get so i bought some notebooks and a folder, I just transferred my schedule to google calendar and feel like i didnt pick the right classes, do you guys have any tips for us college freshman? 

Go to class (at least once in a while), and don't get lazy.

Don't buy any books until after your first day of classes (and even then you probably don't need them).

What classes are you taking/what's your major? I would also suggest figuring out your schedule for the next four years so you don't end up with a mess come your junior/senior year. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Google is your friend.

there has been some talk about this thing called sleep do you know what it is? :P

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Don't get your books right away.

Don't get any sexual transmitted diseases

Don't get hooked into drugs

Try not to drink a lot

Pick the right crowd.....

Watch were you stick your penis into

Don't get any girls or girl pregnant

Be prepared, and ready

Study before any test or exam

Don't cheat

Don't give your professor BS excuses

Make your parents proud.

Eat properly,

Manage time wisely,

Make sure you poop every morning

At least go to class,

And most important, know what you want to learn

And know what your learning.

Do as much stupid shit this year as possible. Academics are easy and if you fuck up you have a ton of time to fix it. Go nuts and learn about yourself.

Don't get your books right away.

Don't get any sexual transmitted diseases

Don't get hooked into drugs

Try not to drink a lot

Pick the right crowd.....

Watch were you stick your penis into

Don't get any girls or girl pregnant

Be prepared, and ready

Study before any test or exam

Don't cheat

Don't give your professor BS excuses

Make your parents proud.

Eat properly,

Manage time wisely,

Make sure you poop every morning

At least go to class,

And most important, know what you want to learn

And know what your learning.

TL;DR, don't be a dumbass and be honest to your professors. Oh and finish your work on time.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

The best advice I have to give is to listen to the lectures, take good notes, make sure that all papers and projects are done on time, and take all the tests. Basically, don't go and intentionally fuck it up.

Also, your professors will give you a syllabus on the first day of class. It tells you EVERYTHING. When all the big papers are due, when all the tests are, when most if not all the homework is due, the prof's office hours, best way to contact him/her, and many times, it will give a brief description of each day's lecture. Your syllabus is the single most important thing you have for each of your classes. Keep it, cherish it, take it to each and every class. Do not loose it.

Follow your guts and do the best that you can...give it your 110%.

You have 15 weeks to learn and to get shit done and those 15 weeks fly by real quick.

It's either do or die...as my parents always said.

The first years worth of courses are considered to be an easy A so get as many as you can because down the road, those A's get harder to earn..

But keep this in mind, College like everything else in your previous years of life is just merely a stepping stone in your lifetime...so make the best out of it

My tip is to go to class. May also be a good idea to bring something to write with and maybe on but I have seen people get away with just showing up and borrowing stuff to write with lol.

The best advice I have to give is to listen to the lectures, take good notes, make sure that all papers and projects are done on time, and take all the tests. Basically, don't go and intentionally fuck it up.

Also, your professors will give you a syllabus on the first day of class. It tells you EVERYTHING. When all the big papers are due, when all the tests are, when most if not all the homework is due, the prof's office hours, best way to contact him/her, and many times, it will give a brief description of each day's lecture. Your syllabus is the single most important thing you have for each of your classes. Keep it, cherish it, take it to each and every class. Do not loose it.

why wasnt i told of this before? im glad i made this topic. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Google is your friend.

google has been my friend for 10 years. 

google has been my friend for 10 years. 

Google is my friend for life. Wouldn't have gotten an A in college math without google and finding algebra calculators.

Seriously, with smartphones......unless you're a theoretical physicist/mathematician..... you don't really need complex algebra.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Talk to people, make friends, give your best everytime, don't sleep in class (even if the conditions are perfect to sleep), don't forget to eat, always have backups for everything

Google is my friend for life. Wouldn't have gotten an A in college math without google and finding algebra calculators.

Seriously, with smartphones......unless you're a theoretical physicist/mathematician..... you don't really need complex algebra.

Well...I have yet to find an app that can solve my oh so tedious integration questions and differential equations :(

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

There's no working like working under pressure

There's no such thing as not enough time. Exam tomorrow? Haven't even read your courses? NO PROBLEM! You have two days until tomorrow: today and tonight.

Kiss teacher ass. You'll be a sellout but at least you'll be a sellout with high grade.

tumblr_mgua2zZkIG1r2uf0mo1_500.jpg

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Well...I have yet to find an app that can solve my oh so tedious integration questions and differential equations :(

wolframalpha.com 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just "Don't f*ck up with seniors!" lol jk

Concentrate very well on class.

Don't listen to music while on class.

Use Google! ;)

Do the work within the time! :D

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

tumblr_mgua2zZkIG1r2uf0mo1_500.jpg

This is called State-Dependent Learning.

If you always study under certain conditions, try to recreate those conditions as much as possible when you take the test. For example, chew the same flavor of gum when studying/testing, or do both under the influence of something.

well obviously everyone is gonna tell you to not fuck up and concentrate but im gonna go ahead and take a different approach by telling you what i went through so you maybe know what to prepare for.

first thing is make sure you ace those exams. i didnt really attend that offen but usually still managed to get my a's. so id say if you have to party hard on weekdays at least make sure it doesnt come back at you later.

secondly (almost) always say yes if a fellow student asks you to join them later or do whatever activity. you wanna integrate yourself into the group as good as possible. you wanna be the guy everybody knows and respects. making connections is an inportant part of college i only noticed very late. so dont jump to "no" 's right away just cause it might not be your favorite thing to do.

also dont f*ck with your profs (metaphorically). i used to date my math profs daughter and lets just say i had a hard time in math. im not telling you to be a kiss ass but ultimately and idealy your profs should like you.

and lastly getting high (like suggested) is fun but it will destroy your determination so chosse wisely if and when your give in to peer pressure :D

also get a car or emidiatly befriend someone with a car. that always comes in handy ;)

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I will add that college gives you something much more important than a degree, which is networks of relationships. Never miss an opportunity to interact with people in the field you're going into, including other students in your major. You never know who will be responsible for getting you a job. You don't necessarily have to be friends with everyone, but you do need to be on good professional terms with them. I never finished my degree (in music education), but the way I worked and treated people has ensured that I've always had a job in the field, anyway.