Best way to remove spray paint from aceta

Philz69

Hi guys! I currently have three waterblocks ( EK FC GTX780Ti DCII ) that have been spray painted white and i need to get them back to black.

I scrapped the paint off of one of them, but its way too long. Could i use acetone? Whould it damage the acetal?

Would it remove the original paint? What about nail polish remover? Is that powerful enough?

Anyone got other ideas?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

Paint em black? Or use sandpaper...

I'm not sure about acetone... :/

Im affraid sandpaper would remove all of the paint and take it to bare plastic

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

maybe try heat? I think those things would eat the block away.

I am pretty sure acetal melts before paint :/

Spoiler

Im affraid sandpaper would remove all of the paint and take it to bare plastic

Urm, if you're spraying anything removing the previous paint job is highly recommended. Auto paint will be fine around heat.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Hi guys! I currently have three waterblocks ( EK FC GTX780Ti DCII ) that have been spray painted white and i need to get them back to black.

I scrapped the paint off of one of them, but its way too long. Could i use acetone? Whould it damage the acetal?

Would it remove the original paint? What about nail polish remover? Is that powerful enough?

Anyone got other ideas?

Acetal or Delrin as it's also know is highly resistant to chemicals so acetone or paint removers can be used on it to remove the paint, here this is a good reference:

http://www.coleparmer.ca/Chemical-Resistance

Urm, if you're spraying anything removing the previous paint job is highly recommended. Auto paint will be fine around heat.

My goal is to remove the spray paint that is on it and get back to the original finish

Acetal or Delrin as it's also know is highly resistant to chemicals so acetone or paint removers can be used on it to remove the paint, here this is a good reference:

http://www.coleparmer.ca/Chemical-Resistance

Thanks for the link, altough i guess acetone or paint remover would remove the original finish :/ I guess im out of luck, i'll try removing the spray paint with chemicals and if the original finish goes away im going to repaint it black!

Spoiler

My goal is to remove the spray paint that is on it and get back to the original finish

Thanks for the link, altough i guess acetone or paint remover would remove the original finish :/ I guess im out of luck, i'll try removing the spray paint with chemicals and if the original finish goes away im going to repaint it black!

Try on a small srea say underneath where you won't really see it and try paint thinner or acetone, acetal itself is black throughout as long as it doesn't melt or do surface damage to the material I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

Try on a small srea say underneath where you won't really see it and try paint thinner or acetone, acetal itself is black throughout as long as it doesn't melt or do surface damage to the material I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

Well thats cool then! i'll def try that!

Spoiler