How to move my windows 10 installation to an SSD from an HDD without reinstalling Windows 10

The title says it all, please help if you can, if there is no way to do it, then just say so.

I would love to be able to put my windows installation straight to the ssd from my hdd without it messing up windows, and without having to re-install or purchase, since I got it for free with windows 7.

WIP Build (Maul):

| CPU: R5 3600 | AIO: Stock GPU: Undecided (Vega 56 prob) MB: B450M RAM: 32gb 16x2 DDR4 3000mhz | PSU: Undecided HDD 1TB m.2 SSD | Case: Inwin 301 | $800-1000 PCPartpicker

Old Build (Vader):

Spoiler

| CPU: FX 8350 | AIO: h100i GPU: G1 GTX 970 MB: 990FXA-UD3 RAM: 8gb Vengence LP 1600mhz | PSU: EVGA 500B HDD 1TB x2 & 120GB Kingson SSD | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 |

Idle: 11-17c, Browsing: 13 - 23c, Load: 22 - 39c | Fedora & Arch Linux | $1,053 PCPartpicker

I would highly recommend reinstalling it on the SSD, you can get a cheap retail copy of windows 7 from http://reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap (I've used it before, its legit)

That or you could use some software to do it, though we can't tell you where to get it or how to use it on here..

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The title says it all, please help if you can, if there is no way to do it, then just say so.

I would love to be able to put my windows installation straight to the ssd from my hdd without it messing up windows, and without having to re-install or purchase, since I got it for free with windows 7.

windows 10 takes like 1 hour to install. Use jelly key finder to find your win 10 key, then get the windows media creation tool, and reinstall windows.

You have to clone your partitions, plenty of tutorials online.

Make sure you have the BootMGR partition on your SSD!

(A recovery USB/DVD can usually fix this)

windows 10 takes like 1 hour to install. Use jelly key finder to find your win 10 key, then get the windows media creation tool, and reinstall windows.

uhhhhhh I installed it in like 10 minutes on a 6 year old laptop today....ssd's are pretty cool like that. You might want to look into getting one.

You can clone your drive over but moving a hdd to ssd like that is never a good idea. The data is configured very differently. It's best to reinstall when making the ssd switch. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I'm using Hiren's BootCD 15.2 right now.  It includes MiniXP... and MiniXP has CloneDisk 1.9.6.  

I've used it a few times; it works well.

Hey there Ladicius,

Cloning is an option that can save you the trouble of going through the reinstallation process, but it involves a lot of risks of data corruption, loss and compatibility issues. Moreover, cloning and migrating the whole OS from a HDD to a SSD can cause the SSD to be recognized as a HDD and miss out features such as TRIM and be susceptible to defragmentation. 

I would also recommend reinstalling your OS and all the applications and games. This would be the safest way with no risk of data loss. You can reuse your old OS key and not buy a new one. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/