I need a new battery. Help?

Summitass
Go to solution Solved by onVacation,

First of, you probably don't need a battery, but a PSU. Regarding the size: The one mounted in there is an ATX PSU, which is 140mm long and therefore fairly small. I'd stick to this size to be safe, but you could also just open your case and measure by yourself how much space you have for a PSU. 

Although you don't need 500W for your current system I'd suggest this PSU: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr It's a good bang for the buck and there are no quality PSUs in that low watt range under 400W.

Really? The battery looks different than that in the PC.

First of, you probably don't need a battery, but a PSU. Regarding the size: The one mounted in there is an ATX PSU, which is 140mm long and therefore fairly small. I'd stick to this size to be safe, but you could also just open your case and measure by yourself how much space you have for a PSU. 

Although you don't need 500W for your current system I'd suggest this PSU: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr It's a good bang for the buck and there are no quality PSUs in that low watt range under 400W.

This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons. 

So, this could fit? Mines like silver and not as nice looking...

Really? The battery looks different than that in the PC.

Its a power supply not a battery. If you dont know that then i dont recommend changing it without watching some videos.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Yes it would fit. It would be much better too

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Yes, it would fit and would be much better (and more effective). Yours is silver and ugly. It's a bad OEM PSU, but it has the same form factor.

Its a power supply not a battery. If you dont know that then i dont recommend changing it without watching some videos.

I know that is it a power supply but I just call it that because thats how it looks due to the silver design...

Oh, and before you start, watch a video that shows you what and how to do it. (You may laugh now, but) Dell has a video up that is easy to understand and shows everything important: 

Oh, and before you start, watch a video that shows you what and how to do it. (You may laugh now, but) Dell has a video up that is easy to understand and shows everything important: 

Thanks and that the pin connecters would work with my mini motherboard?

Thanks and that the pin connecters would work with my mini motherboard?

Yes. The connectors are always the same no matter how big or small the motherboard is.

Yes. The connectors are always the same no matter how big or small the motherboard is.

Thanks once again!

To make it a little easier for you, I've attached a picture of your motherboard. The red marked areas are the only cables that you'll need to remove. One is the big 24 pin ATX, which will be easy to find and the other one is the 4 pin CPU which is smaller, but is also only included once in your new PSU. Your new PSU has a 4+4 pin connector for the CPU as some more powerful ones use 8 pins, but you just don't attach the other "block" to your motherboard. You can leave all the other cables on your motherboard the way they are right now, most of them will be data cables (SATA) of fan cables. Then you'll just need to replace the power cables of your HDD and the DVD drive. They both have the same connector and it's one cable. If you're unsure which one it is look it up in the manual, it will be labeled "SATA". Your graphics card is powered via PCIe and therefore does not need an extra cable.

Your PSU is probably mounted at the top of your case and as you don't have and won't have a modular PSU, where you can unplug unused cables, make sure to get some cable ties and tidy it all up. This will help your PC's cooling and will therefore also make it a little less loud.

post-252217-0-28635900-1441066109.jpg

post-252217-0-28635900-1441066109.jpg

To make it a little easier for you, I've attached a picture of your motherboard. The red marked areas are the only cables that you'll need to remove. One is the big 24 pin ATX, which will be easy to find and the other one is the 4 pin CPU which is smaller, but is also only included once in your new PSU. Your new PSU has a 4+4 pin connector for the CPU as some more powerful ones use 8 pins, but you just don't attach the other "block" to your motherboard. You can leave all the other cables on your motherboard the way they are right now, most of them will be data cables (SATA) of fan cables. Then you'll just need to replace the power cables of your HDD and the DVD drive. They both have the same connector and it's one cable. If you're unsure which one it is look it up in the manual, it will be labeled "SATA". Your graphics card is powered via PCIe and therefore does not need an extra cable.

Your PSU is probably mounted at the top of your case and as you don't have and won't have a modular PSU, where you can unplug unused cables, make sure to get some cable ties and tidy it all up. This will help your PC's cooling and will therefore also make it a little less loud.

Thanks again for your amazing help!  :)