DX12- AMD vs Nvidia?

HatsuneMilku

Hi,

I have recently bought a GTX 770 as an upgrade to my r9 285.

However, recent news shows that AMD performs amazingly better in dx12 than nvidia.
So my questions are:

1. Is it a good idea to sell my R9 285
2. Does the benchmark result showing over 400% performance rates actually equal better framerate.

3. How many games will actually be released in dx12, and will previous games be changed to dx12 too?

Thanks.

Quote me if you want me to reply.

Brand Blacklist: Gainward, Silverstone, Cougar, Gigabyte.

Hi,

I have recently bought a GTX 770 as an upgrade to my r9 285.

However, recent news shows that AMD performs amazingly better in dx12 than nvidia.

So my questions are:

1. Is it a good idea to sell my R9 285

2. Does the benchmark result showing over 400% performance rates actually equal better framerate.

3. How many games will actually be released in dx12, and will previous games be changed to dx12 too?

Thanks.

In other words:

Sell it

The 400% is just communication b/c amd already had asynchronous cores and whatnot= more cpu interaction times in mantle

games will not be ported, although most games will be dx12 after december this year.

1. Eh, kinda sorta. The 770 is a little faster, but the 285 has newer features and would probably run better in DX12 to some extent.

2. Better framerate, quite possibly. 400% gain? I really don't think so.

3. Eventually all of them. For the next 6-12 months, the majority of new releases probably won't support it, but it'll grow over time. Older games generally won't be upgraded to support DX12, but a few developers may go back and change it if they're particularly nice.

Ok, I have decided not to sell the r9 285.

I am actually doing a complicated build that I will show off later,

Not that it matters but the cards were the Strix R9 and the Phantom 770.

Maybe I should sell the 770 haha.

Hold on, I forgot to ask the most important question: Raw processing power. Which would do better. This includes rendering 3D, computing and sound engineering. As far as video editing goes it will just be basic progress logs.

Hold on, I forgot to ask the most important question: Raw processing power. Which would do better. This includes rendering 3D, computing and sound engineering. As far as video editing goes it will just be basic progress logs. 

AMD cards have more raw power that is why they work the best in DX12. DX12 is optimized for hardware not drivers.

P.S. Video editing depends mostly on the CPU not the GPU.

Raw single-precision GFLOPS, the R9 285 clocks in at 3290 GFLOPS and the GTX 770 at a nearly identical 3213 GFLOPS.

Its too early to say really, but I have been asking around the industry and at this stage DX12 does favor the AMD cards, this seems to be because of a combination of complicated things (Async shaders, memory bandwidth etc).

However, this might all change in the future, especially with newer and better driver updates from Nvidia.

Good article to read: http://wccftech.com/async-shaders-give-amd-big-advantage-dx12-performance-oxide-games/

Its too early to say really, but I have been asking around the industry and at this stage DX12 does favor the AMD cards, this seems to be because of a combination of complicated things (Async shaders, memory bandwidth etc).

However, this might all change in the future, especially with newer and better driver updates from Nvidia.

Good article to read: http://wccftech.com/async-shaders-give-amd-big-advantage-dx12-performance-oxide-games/

Drivers aren't going to help much since DX12 depends on hardware more than software optimization, the reason Nvidia performs so good on DX11 is because of driver optimization.

Drivers aren't going to help much since DX12 depends on hardware more than software optimization, the reason Nvidia performs so good on DX11 is because of driver optimization.

yeah, dx11 definitely gets a good boost from driver optimizations, even from AMD. Their latest 15.8 driver shows some modest gains in Ashes DX11 performance, but obviously no/little change for DX12.

wWmvL2Q.jpg

1khHQjT.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

a gtx 770 is not much of an upgrade...

DX12 is gonna give amd a big boost, but there are so many dx 11 games and such little dx 12 that i wouldnt worry right now.

In your position i would go for a gtx 970 or an r9 390. Anything less is not worth it, the 285 is a good card

There is evidence mounting that Nvidia has been totally caught with their pants down when it comes to DX12, and its not just the ashes of Singularity and recent synthetic benchmarks.

Apparently Nvidia is so worried about their poor DX12 performance that they are trying to discourage devs from fully utilizing DX12 features that heavily favor AMD GPUs. The sad thing is because of Nvidias clout and their fanboys fanaticism, they'll probably succeed.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Hmmm tbh moving from R9 285 to 770 was not much of an upgrade to begin with.

dx is about the hardware, and amd has been focused on their hardware. think amd is just trying to survive dx11 and wait for dx12. NVidia and dx12? people say they are unprepared for dx12. I think the 980ti and titan will be ok, but their other stuff wont be able to capitalize on dx12 benefits at all. no matter how many drivers they throw at it. I think the amd stuff will make a comeback when dx12 games come rollin in.