First PC OS Installation; Disk error

AndyD

Hey all!

I just built my first PC today, and I got a successful post and everything, no problem.

The problem I encountered was when I plugged in a USB flash drive into my PC and tried to install an os from it.

The moment I start up my PC, it says "Disk read error Press any key to restart".

When I press any keys, it reads the same error above.

When the another key is pressed, it reads the error: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I have went into my bios and changed the boot order to boot from the USB, and I have even tried a second USB, but no luck. 

Does anyone know the issue and how to fix it? 

Hey all!

I just built my first PC today, and I got a successful post and everything, no problem.

The problem I encountered was when I plugged in a USB flash drive into my PC and tried to install an os from it.

The moment I start up my PC, it says "Disk read error Press any key to restart".

When the another key is pressed, it reads the error: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I have went into my bios and changed the boot order to boot from the USB, and I have even tried a second USB, but no luck. 

Please tell us exactly what you did with the intention of putting the OS on the USB. In all likelihood you either didn't do it correctly or did the right fundamental method but chose the wrong bootloader option when burning the installer to the USB.

Sig under construction.

Are you sure you the bootloader options set to load the USB OS install utility instead of the HDD? The USB will not be bootable if you do not select to boot from it. If you don't know how to select the boot options, you should try mashing F11 during boot (this key works for me on an MSI mobo), a menu with a list of boot options should show up.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 ~ GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7950 Vapor-X @ 1150/1650MHz @ 1.2Vcore ~ Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 ~ RAM: 2x4GB Patriot Signature DDR3 @ 8-9-9-20 1600MHz 1.5V ~ PSU: EVGA Supernova NEX 750W B1 ~ Storage: 250GB Crucial MX200 SSD/1TB WD Blue HDD ~ Case: Corsair 200R ~  Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95

I used the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to create a bootable flash drive and put windows 7 onto the USB.

i have set the usb to boot in boot order

Are you sure you the bootloader options set to load the USB OS install utility instead of the HDD? The USB will not be bootable if you do not select to boot from it. If you don't know how to select the boot options, you should try mashing F11 during boot (this key works for me on an MSI mobo), a menu with a list of boot options should show up.

Please tell us exactly what you did with the intention of putting the OS on the USB. In all likelihood you either didn't do it correctly or did the right fundamental method but chose the wrong bootloader option when burning the installer to the USB.

I used the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to create a bootable flash drive and put windows 7 onto the USB.

That will work, but the BIOS in your computer likely does not know that another boot option exists with the USB. To tell your PC to boot form the USB, try mashing the F11 key at boot and see if a list titled something along the lines of "boot options" pops up.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 ~ GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7950 Vapor-X @ 1150/1650MHz @ 1.2Vcore ~ Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 ~ RAM: 2x4GB Patriot Signature DDR3 @ 8-9-9-20 1600MHz 1.5V ~ PSU: EVGA Supernova NEX 750W B1 ~ Storage: 250GB Crucial MX200 SSD/1TB WD Blue HDD ~ Case: Corsair 200R ~  Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95

That will work, but the BIOS in your computer likely does not know that another boot option exists with the USB. To tell your PC to boot form the USB, try mashing the F11 key at boot and see if a list titled something along the lines of "boot options" pops up.

When i press f12 to enter boot options  and select  my usb, i get the same error

Hey all!

How did you make the USB drive? 

How did you make the USB drive? 

Okay, just making sure you didn't just copy the ISO and call it good. Are you using a USB 3.0 port or USB 2.0 for your installation stick?

When i press f12 to enter boot options  and select  my usb, i get the same error

Ah I see, will you try making the image again with rufus and report how it goes?

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Okay, try that again but use a different bootloader option.

Sig under construction.

Okay, just making sure you didn't just copy the ISO and call it good. Are you using a USB 3.0 port or USB 2.0 for your installation stick?

front panel usb 3.0, but my usb is recognized in the bios

Try Rufus and play around with  the bootloader options. You might have to try one of two to get one that works.

Sig under construction.

Try a USB 2.0 port, USB 3.0 doesn't really support booting(properly, it does it through emulation, and breaks most of the time).

Try a USB 2.0 port, USB 3.0 doesn't really support booting(properly, it does it through emulation, and breaks most of the time).

Usb 2 port gave the same  results 

Huh, I would try using Rufus like what Tedster suggested. Some UEFI's require some "special sauce" when creating the installation drive.

Try Rufus and play around with  the bootloader options. You might have to try one of two to get one that works.

Ah I see, will you try making the image again with rufus and report how it goes?

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Nevermind, i found a third usb drive and it work ed perfectly. Thank you all for your help