eMac / iMac Hybrid w/ PC ITX internals

jaydeesox

After seeing a post here about someone trying to bring life to an old eMac, I thought I would give it a shot. My wife loves the old school iMacs (with the color exteriors). I have an old eMac that is functional but not usable and I thought I would give it a whorl. I would love some pointers and tips.

Currently I have an eMac, some colored (fushia :/) clear vinyl and a 17" lcd screen that I would like to replace the tube with. I will post pictures of what I have later.

After seeing a post here about someone trying to bring life to an old eMac, I thought I would give it a shot. My wife loves the old school iMacs (with the color exteriors). I have an old eMac that is functional but not usable and I thought I would give it a whorl. I would love some pointers and tips.

Currently I have an eMac, some colored (fushia :/) clear vinyl and a 17" lcd screen that I would like to replace the tube with. I will post pictures of what I have later.

Sounds like a really fun project, you make me want a beefed up eMac now :D

Any pointers would be great. No stranger to building PCs but I have never done anything this ambitious

Step 1 - Gutting...

Even though it is functional, it is barely usable. Monitor works, and it powers up but even things like the browsers are so out dated that it has trouble with anything other than Google

6cefcd53af8010c5a067ca31c6e38b15.jpg

I would like to keep the ports where they are if possible

Nice idea, I think it was @spwath who did the emac upgrade. I like the thought of using coloured vinyl to spice it up and make it more G3 like

imac-g3.jpg

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Nice idea, I think it was @spwath who did the emac upgrade. I like the thought of using coloured vinyl to spice it up and make it more G3 like

imac-g3.jpg

Yeah, but it didn't really work.

Atx parts don't fit...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I found the eMac sitting on the side of the road and my wife loved the G3. It was @spwath page via Google that got me here

Yeah, but it didn't really work.

Atx parts don't fit...

mini itx or micro atx should fit though, definitely mini itx.

I found the eMac sitting on the side of the road and my wife loved the G3. It was @spwath page via Google that got me here

Why waste a good project? I've still got a G3 in the loft that's in full working order, I do love its design and wish apple would do some sort of anniversary piece in 2018.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I'm going to be bringing my front panel to work tomorrow to get the vinyl cut for the front

9254b0940c6c86c06972f6bd06071164.jpg

What do you think before I do the rest? Keep in mind, I'm the only male in the house lol

9254b0940c6c86c06972f6bd06071164.jpg

What do you think before I do the rest? Keep in mind, I'm the only male in the house lol

Looks good, just wear some protective eyewear while you do that, very dark sunglasses should suffice.

269e923aafff2cd58d1583b1c93ffd76.jpg

Saved the USB port on the side, might be useful. Used silicone adhesive to bond the front and the display. Easy enough if the LCD needs replacing.

Side note @spwath, you were correct about the auto on with an LCD. Guess I never noticed

269e923aafff2cd58d1583b1c93ffd76.jpg

Saved the USB port on the side, might be useful. Used silicone adhesive to bond the front and the display. Easy enough if the LCD needs replacing.

Side note @spwath, you were correct about the auto on with an LCD. Guess I never noticed

Yeah.

Ah, silicone to bond it,

I used sheet metal from vesa mount to front screw holes.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I think I am going to use triangle shaped supports on the media drive bracket.

I saved the buttons on the front of the display frame because the button board was on a convenient flat cable in case I want to mount it somewhere

• 1 year later...