Apple Teams Up With Cisco

jos

The partnership, announced on Monday by Cisco Executive Chairman John Chambers and Apple Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook at Cisco’s annual sales meeting in Las Vegas, will make it easier to use iPhones and iPads together with Cisco’s products.

For example, iPhone users could click on a calendar appointment, and immediately start a videoconference or Cisco’s Spark chat application, instead of having to pull up each separately. IPhone users’ personal contacts can be integrated with directories on their desk phones. And since workers are increasingly mobile, calls from work colleagues would automatically ring on both the desk phone and iPhone. 
Apple and Cisco are also working on behind-the-scenes networking enhancements. Using a feature called Fast Lane, a videoconference that’s critical to closing a deal can be given more bandwidth priority over YouTube video streams to desktops. Cisco is also developing ways to help companies prevent network slowdowns when Apple releases updates to its iOS software, by storing parts of Apple’s software code so that iPhone owners on Cisco networks won’t have to download it from a far-off data centers.

It feeld like the partnership is against net neutrality. 

NET NEUTRALITY FTW

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

They will now make slow,consumergrade, overpriced routers with a minimalistic design

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

So Apple is finally attempting to buy their way into the corporate user base? Good for them: there should be more competition for windows.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't really see how it is against netneutality, since all of it is LAN based.... I could do the same stuff with some QoS rules, YT uses another port then my video conference call software so just give that more bandwidth on that port and you are done...... As for the local storage cache of updates, I'd like for something like that to become common place, I have a 16TB server and a 5MB download, if I could just cache Android, Windows and Linux updates on that in an easy way I'd love it. (You can already do something like that for Windows I believe but I've nver really looked into it)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

They will now make slow,consumergrade, overpriced routers with a minimalistic design

Which apple users will buy up at the drop of a hat.

You guys are freaking out over something that already exists.

Routers already have prioritization orders and especially on high end corporate grade routers that you have in offices. Caching and other features are super important when you are dealing with large office infrastructure or even things like a school network. Wouldn't it be easier to cache that super popular youtube video that everyone is accessing than re-downloading it every .5sec? Dont you want to prioritize skype/webex conversations over that of HTML traffic?

Its not like Cisco is implementing this at the ISP level to make iphone get more interwebz fasterz

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

I don't really see how it is against netneutality, since all of it is LAN based.... I could do the same stuff with some QoS rules, YT uses another port then my video conference call software so just give that more bandwidth on that port and you are done...... As for the local storage cache of updates, I'd like for something like that to become common place, I have a 16TB server and a 5MB download, if I could just cache Android, Windows and Linux updates on that in an easy way I'd love it. (You can already do something like that for Windows I believe but I've nver really looked into it)

This ^

AFAIK, Net Neutrality cannot deal with private LAN infrastructure. There are some rulings that can, such as not having an antenna broadcasting over a certain power, or private networks being able to deauth other users within range from connecting to other private networks (http://boingboing.net/2014/10/03/fcc-fines-marriott-for-jamming.html or jamming as they misleadingly call it. It was not jamming, it was sending deauthorization packets to end user devices trying to use their own personal hotspots, not connecting routers to Marriot's network, which is legal to deauth).

This, however, is completely legal and abiding to Net Neutrality as far as I've been able to tell.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

You guys are freaking out over something that already exists.

Routers already have prioritization orders and especially on high end corporate grade routers that you have in offices. Caching and other features are super important when you are dealing with large office infrastructure or even things like a school network. Wouldn't it be easier to cache that super popular youtube video that everyone is accessing than re-downloading it every .5sec? Dont you want to prioritize skype/webex conversations over that of HTML traffic?

Its not like Cisco is implementing this at the ISP level to make iphone get more interwebz fasterz

Quoted for truth. You two get it.

Honestly I'll be surprised if much comes from this simply because its Apple and Apple has rarely ever given 2 craps about the business/enterprise side of things. Although, if its Cisco that will be doing most of the heavy lifting then maybe it will be good after all.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I was thinking they might ship all routers with this even the ones they sell to ISP... then people living near big business will get slow youtube streaming ...

Which apple users will buy up at the drop of a hat.

Probably putting their house on mortgage

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

It feeld like the partnership is against net neutrality. 

what??? neither the quote, nor the article that you linked has a single word about net neutrality...  where the hell are you getting any of that?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Honestly I'll be surprised if much comes from this simply because its Apple and Apple has rarely ever given 2 craps about the business/enterprise side of things. Although, if its Cisco that will be doing most of the heavy lifting then maybe it will be good after all.

Haha thanks. Maybe though this is their entry into the enterprise market? We'll see. Although this kinda seems like slapping a Apple brand on already existing software and configs for the sake of brand names

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Haha thanks. Maybe though this is their entry into the enterprise market? We'll see. Although this kinda seems like slapping a Apple brand on already existing software and configs for the sake of brand names

Agreed, this definitely seems like its more like its Cisco doing the work. Apple would basically be providing them protocols and networking traffic information so that Cisco can do the actual work in optimizing the settings. More and more now i see companies giving out iphones/ipads to people (our own company has several in-house for testing, but the company phones some people have are all iphone5s) so it is much more of a motivator for Cisco to slap an "Apple Approved" logo on their next generation of routers.

For 99.999999999% of the people this news is nothing at all. Maybe a few IT guys might be interested if their whole office is mac heavy, but even then it still isnt a huge selling point if the hardware doesnt meet your other needs.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

So....one strictly proprietary company teaming up with another.....how is this news?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Cisco and Apple... the two names that both invoke a ridiculus price tag in their respective category....

Whatever their goal is... this is gonna be expensive for us all

Prepare your wallets and prepare you bodies.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Same old same old.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd