What is the use of an HTPC?

Bob Jim
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

HTPC = Home Theatre Personal Computer. 

So basically, it can be used for media consumption. Films, music, TV Shows and such. Most of which doesn't require a lot of processing power, or low power HTPCs that act as clients to a more powerful server. 

Ok, this is going to sound really stupid, but what do people use HTPCs for? Is it literally just watching YT or browsing the web on your TV? Or what? I am very confused, especially as it seems to need very little in terms of specs >.>

Ok, this is going to sound really stupid, but what do people use HTPCs for? Is it literally just watching YT or browsing the web on your TV? Or what? I am very confused, especially as it seems to need very little in terms of specs >.>

Yep.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

So basically, it can be used for media consumption. Films, music, TV Shows and such. Most of which doesn't require a lot of processing power, or low power HTPCs that act as clients to a more powerful server. 

It says it literally in its name, it's a home theater personal computer. A computer you add to your theater setup near your TV along with your receivers and what not.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Yep.

Then why do people not just get like a Raspberry Pi? So confused, seems like a waste of money tbh.

So basically, it can be used for media consumption. Films, music, TV Shows and such. 

Such a waste of money... Raspberry Pi masterrace :P but thanks!

None. It's useless in 2015.

Also I have the Raspberry 2 and it's a piece of shit spent 80 euro in total, what a waste.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

My advice to anyone who has a laptop with a busted screen or run-down battery. Turn it into an HTPC.

Raspberry Pi or Android TV or whatever will cut it for most of the use-case-scenarios but not for gaming, blu-ray, high-end audio and so on. There still is a place for a top-tier HTPC in some living rooms. :)

A lot of my clients have them setup as NASes

I have a raspberry pi, a 3D modeling dev rig, an htpc, a dos computer, and a mobile workstation for coding. 

The RPi has a laggy slow xbmc interface that's pretty much shut off outside of Europe.  A lot of the channel stuff is desgined for Europe only mostly the UK.  It also lacks an optical drive, and you can't really use that either.  A smart tv is even faster.  I know the appeal of it, but for my needs Otaku Dragon does the task better.  It has a much smoother interface through windows compared to Linux.  Ya, use Linux a lot too so this isn't shaming it really it's just here in the US and a lot of other places outside of Europe the interface of the RPi doesn't really match what a true HTPC can do.  I use the RPi for mini coding projects.

#WebOsAndHdmiCableToPCMasterRace

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Then why do people not just get like a Raspberry Pi? So confused, seems like a waste of money tbh.

Raspberry Pi struggles with HD, let alone 4K content. Most people are best off with a Celeron-based NUC in terms of price to performance. People who don't have powerful PCs elsewhere in their house to stream from may opt to go true console-replacement and put a decent CPU and GPU in a HTPC. In addition throw in a PCI dual TV card and you have built yourself a DVR as well.

Raspberry Pi struggles with HD, let alone 4K content. Most people are best off with a Celeron-based NUC in terms of price to performance. People who don't have powerful PCs elsewhere in their house to stream from may opt to go true console-replacement and put a decent CPU and GPU in a HTPC. In addition throw in a PCI dual TV card and you have built yourself a DVR as well.

People that use HTPC's on TV's really need a new TV imo.

The LG UB8200 is 699$ (670€ here) for 49 INCH IPS 4K with Smart TV, lol what else do people want at that price? It's cheaper then most 1080P TV's.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

People that use HTPC's on TV's really need a new TV imo.

The LG UB8200 is 699$ (670€ here) for 49 INCH IPS 4K with Smart TV, lol what else do people want at that price? It's cheaper then most 1080P TV's.

Ew Smart TVs? GTFO

Ew Smart TVs? GTFO

What can't my WebOs TV do, lol?

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Watch TV without your TV listening to you and sending everything back to LG lol. 

Which is where open source alternatives come in. You are in control of everything the technology you use does. It exists for your convenience -- you don't exist for its data harvesting.

How can my TV listen to me, when my Air mouse is somewhere in a box around here? Also you agree that LG can use your voice searches to improve the feature.

Other then not playing .iso's I'm not missing anything on my TV, it can even play .mkv's. HEVC and 4K 60FPS files.

But HTPC sucks too #HdmiCableMasterRace

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

How can my TV listen to me, when my Air mouse is somewhere in a box around here? Also you agree that LG can use your voice searches to improve the feature.

Other then not playing .iso's I'm not missing anything on my TV, it can even play .mkv's. HEVC and 4K 60FPS files.

But HTPC sucks too #HdmiCableMasterRace

I didn't agree to that, voice control on a TV is a stupid feature. Xbox turn off.

I didn't agree to that, voice control on a TV is a stupid feature. Xbox turn off.

It's not a stupid feature, it's also a optional feature. 

Do you know how long it took to search a YouTube video on my old Samsung remote? 

So you tell me you don't use a Smartphone either?

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

It's not a stupid feature, it's also a optional feature. 

Do you know how long it took to search a YouTube video on my old Samsung remote? 

So you tell me you don't use a Smartphone either?

You know how long it takes to search a YouTube video on my wireless keyboard on my HTPC?

How is Steam In Home streaming on WebOS, too? Owait. But no, voice control that is the feature that trumps everything lmao

Voice control only exists on phones, Windows 10 and TVs as a convenient way to send things you talk about to advertisers. I don't use it on any device.

You know how long it takes to search a YouTube video on my wireless keyboard on my HTPC?

How is Steam In Home streaming on WebOS, too? Owait. But no, voice control that is the feature that trumps everything lmao

Voice control only exists on phones, Windows 10 and TVs as a convenient way to send things you talk about to advertisers. I don't use it on any device.

How is being a adult and having my PC with 980Ti in the living room?

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

How is being a adult and having my PC with 980Ti in the living room?

Wut? If you are saying that your main gaming PC is in the living room (really? OK then...) then that's even less reason to have a smart TV -- just use that o.0

Wut?

Do you think I fucking care about Steam Inhome Streaming when I have a 980Ti in my PC connected with a hdmi cable to my TV :D

Steam Link can only do peasantry 1080P 60FPS

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Do you think I fucking care about Steam Inhome Streaming when I have a 980Ti in my PC connected with a hdmi cable to my TV :D

Steam Link can only do peasantry 1080P 60FPS

Actually Steam can go higher than 1080p if you force it and you have sufficient bandwidth.

However if you have a 980 Ti plugged into your TV then THAT IS JUST A HTPC. Jesus Christ why do you even bother with a smart TV? Just stick Kodi on your PC and use that o.0

Actually Steam can go higher than 1080p if you force it and you have sufficient bandwidth.

However if you have a 980 Ti plugged into your TV then THAT IS JUST A HTPC. Jesus Christ why do you even bother with a smart TV? Just stick Kodi on your PC and use that o.0

So my main rig is a HTPC? What don't you understand I have my main rig in the living room? Also why should I use Kodi? Can't I play my .iso's with PowerDVD?

And I still use my Smart TV because it's easier to press the Netflix button on my remote.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

So my main rig is a HTPC? What don't you understand I have my main rig in the living room? Also why should I use Kodi? Can't I play my .iso's with PowerDVD?

And I still use my Smart TV because it's easier to press the Netflix button on my remote.

If your main rig is in your living room attached to a TV and you use it for media consumption then yes, it is a HTPC. Kodi is just a nice interface to use Netflix and things like PowerDVD via a remote (or your smartphone, that's quite convenient). The YouTube app is really good as well.