Dell Inspiron 14 7447 vs Asus K501LX-DM006H

JMoHaNz

I may or may not be the first Malaysian to post in this forum, but that's obviously not why I'm here.

http://www.techhypermart.com/dell-inspiron-14-7447-21454g-w8-laptop-notebook-i5-4210h-500gb-4gb-nv-gtx850m-w8-1.html

http://www.techhypermart.com/notebooks/asus-k501lx-dm006h-15-6-laptop-notebook-i5-5200u-4gb-1tb-nv-gtx950m-w8-1.html

These two laptops are the only ones to fit perfectly within my budget of RM3000 (roughly $720). Due to a shortage of time (flying off to the UK in two weeks to finish the final year of my degree programme) I will be getting one or the other some time next week.

Some extra info:

- Not a hardcore gamer. More than happy with the core i5 component so please don't advise me to spend an additional $120++ to up it to a core i7.

- I plan on manually upgrading my RAM to the maximum available capacity and swapping out the HDD for SSD storage outside of my abovementioned budget

- Comparison between the i5-4210H (Dell) and i5-5200U (Asus) processors respectively: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-5200U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4210H#conclusion

I'd greatly appreciate all your opinions on which configuration would be the best bang for my buck. :)

If you really don't play much get the dell.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

i'd take the asus

better specs. that's why

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

i'd take the asus

better specs. that's why

It's better in terms of graphics for sure, but in terms of CPU the comparison link I shared shows that the Dell processor clocks better figures, unless of course I've completely misunderstood them.

Also concerning the Asus, I've been unable to find any reviews about it online, which sort of worries me just a tad bit. I've been able to find plenty on the Dell though.

Feel free to tell me if I missed out any other factor (s) to consider

If you really don't play much get the dell.

Are there any other technical factors I should consider/should've considered aside from the ones I mentioned?

Are there any other technical factors I should consider/should've considered aside from the ones I mentioned?

The asus is more portable.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

The asus is more portable.

There is that, what with its less 'bulky' looking form factor compared to the Dell. Surprisingly, with all that so called 'bulkiness', The Dell weighs in at a total of 2.23kg, not that big of a diff to Asus -2kg.

I'll update my replies tomorrow seeing as it's getting quite late from where I'm from, but I do have one more question:

Dell's basic RAM sits in at 4GB DDR3L 1600MHz,oddly enough Asus just mentions its RAM to be 4GB DDR3L. Is there a reason Dell would specifically mention the 1600 Megahertz measurement?

Would you also by any chance know anything regarding the quality of their respective customer care services?

I don't have any thoughts specifically about those notebooks, but as a brand, I'd buy Asus over Dell. 

I don't have any thoughts specifically about those notebooks, but as a brand, I'd buy Asus over Dell.

Laptop specs aside, what does Asus bring to the table that Dell doesn't?

Laptop specs aside, what does Asus bring to the table that Dell doesn't?

It's really just a personal preference based on my own perception of which one is of better quality.  Asus seems to have a better reputation in my experience and reading. 

Plus I have two Asus displays that I love and I just bought an Asus video card (so, ya, I can't exactly count that one yet, but whatever).  I had a Dell notebook a while back, and my old man's last two desktops were Dell.  

I feel more comfortable with Asus. 

The next guy could very well say the exact opposite things about Dell.  Just my opinion. :) 

It's really just a personal preference based on my own perception of which one is of better quality. Asus seems to have a better reputation in my experience and reading.

Plus I have two Asus displays that I love and I just bought an Asus video card (so, ya, I can't exactly count that one yet, but whatever). I had a Dell notebook a while back, and my old man's last two desktops were Dell.

I feel more comfortable with Asus.

The next guy could very well say the exact opposite things about Dell. Just my opinion. :)

Of course of course. Just reaching out to as many people as possible before I make my final choice.

If you could just scroll up slightly, I'd appreciate your feedback on the whole RAM question I posted if you know anything about it. Thanks again for your opinions so far. :)

Dell's basic RAM sits in at 4GB DDR3L 1600MHz,oddly enough Asus just mentions its RAM to be 4GB DDR3L. Is there a reason Dell would specifically mention the 1600 Megahertz measurement?

Probably no better reason that Asus not mentioning it. Lazy person on the marketing team maybe. <shrug>   I looked it up on Crucial because it's an easy resource, and the Asus also uses 1600MHz PC3 12800 (low-power) memory.  Any manufacturer not using memory that speed would be pretty lame. 12800 has been around for years. 

Probably no better reason that Asus not mentioning it. Lazy person on the marketing team maybe. <shrug> I looked it up on Crucial because it's an easy resource, and the Asus also uses 1600MHz PC3 12800 (low-power) memory. Any manufacturer not using memory that speed would be pretty lame. 12800 has been around for years.

I've been unable to find any reviews for the Asus. Closest I ever got to a similar model is the Asus K501LX-EB71. Based on the EB71, I can only up the RAM count to 12GB, but for the Dell I can go up to 16GB. Comparatively speaking, I've been told that the i5-4210H processor is better at supporting more RAM.

Say I go ahead with the Asus laptop and max out whatever I can, will the 2.7 MHz Turbo boost for the i5-5200U be strong enough to handle the extra RAM space and the graphics for a game as intense as saaaayyy Crysis 3?