Looking at improving the network

XDroidie626

I am looking to improve the network at my girlfriends house and would like some advice.

So she currently has sky broadband (Non fibre) and then it uses the rather crappy SR101 router (Non gigabit 2.4 144mbps.)

So my plan is to swap out the routers completely as I plan to live here and I need some decent streaming for my Xbox games.

So I have a old Belkin router, to be honest on LAN side it should run rings around that SR101 even though it is a few years old, I plan to use this for the ADSL modem.

I then want to switch this to bridge mode and then attach my trusty RT-N56U and open the 5Ghz band for my desktop and Xbox to keep it clean off any other devices.

Stuff like phones, TV, NowTV etc will be put on the 2.4Ghz band (I believe this is the max these devices can do)

For security I wanted to use MAC addressing but I am unsure how some devices (TV, NowTV and Xbox) will respond to this setting, any ideas?

Another plan was to use some wall warts for stuff like Xbox maybe so I can have a hard line connection to the modem directly, but I feel this maybe to messy.

Is my plan a good idea or should it be changed?

Thanks

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)