£650, Need a GPU upgrade, Help me please :3

Go to solution Solved by daniellearmouth,

If you need a small form factor card, the R9 Fury X is a very good card from AMD, and whilst its detractors will bash it for not bringing much to the table in terms of new features, it does carry a new kind of memory, and is cooled by a Cooler Master 120mm radiator.

But outside of that, the 980 Ti at this time appears to be the king of the hill, for its 6GB of VRAM, and it basically being a Titan X with more PCB designs and higher clock speeds but fewer CUDA cores.

Oh, and your PSU should be fine for a 980 Ti.

Hello!!

Ill start off with my specs:

2gb MSI Gtx 770 Lightning edition

Intel i7 4790k

212 Hyp Evo Cpu cooler

Maximus Ranger VII motherboard

8gb 1600mhz Ram

1tb WD black & 1tb SSHD

Corsair 600w psu

I currently game on 1080p, but would like to upgrade to 1440p/144hz around December time or January 2016. I've had my gpu for 2 years now and am starting to struggle to run games on high/ultra settings 30fps +. I like games to look nice and run smoothly (60 fps minimum) i know some prefer the smoother experience but i struggle to concentrate when things look Jaggered, stutter or bad quality. My budget for this GPU upgrade is £650 and it must be compatible with my setup - only exception being the power supply, if i need to upgrade please tell me that in the comment and link me to one you would suggest :).

I've looked at many benchmarks for Gtx 970, r9 390, 390x, r9 390x, fury, fury x and the 980ti. But every benchmarks seems to tell me different things and i've read many 'problems' with VRAM (3.5gb & 0.5gb 970 for example in terms of future proofing) and heat and power and Direct X 12 not being as good with Nvidia ect.

I'm not a AMD or Nvidia 'fanboy' i go for the card and the performance it brings. 

I would like this to last me two years if possible!

Please help me :)

29b7e54082b2bcfe650abfa82b62d731.png

Prices^

Thanks

Sam

980 Ti for you mate.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

980ti but you ain't do shiat whit that 1440p 144hz @ 60fps

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

980 ti if you like nvidia featurs and you have a big enough case

fury x if you like amd features (RAPT IS AWESOME, by playing games u can evetually get graphics cards) and you need a small form factor 

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Thanks for the very fast responses!!

Is my PSU enough for the 980TI?

Cheers all

Sam

If you need a small form factor card, the R9 Fury X is a very good card from AMD, and whilst its detractors will bash it for not bringing much to the table in terms of new features, it does carry a new kind of memory, and is cooled by a Cooler Master 120mm radiator.

But outside of that, the 980 Ti at this time appears to be the king of the hill, for its 6GB of VRAM, and it basically being a Titan X with more PCB designs and higher clock speeds but fewer CUDA cores.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

I thought it was cooled by Asetek or whatever

or is that part of cooler master

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

980ti has about 2x the 770 performance, overclock it to 1500 mhz and it should 60fps ultra 1440p in most games.

Would it be sensible to get a Gtx 970 / R9 390x now and save the £200 for when Pascal is released?

Do you think it will be the '10x performance' of maxwell?

I thought it was cooled by Asetek or whatever

or is that part of cooler master

furyx-coolermaster.jpg

It's a Cooler Master one. Also, Asetek's its own thing I believe.

Would it be sensible to get a Gtx 970 / R9 390x now and save the £200 for when Pascal is released?

I wouldn't be too concerned about Pascal right now. It's a while away yet, maybe even a year until we start seeing cards on Pascal.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

It's a Cooler Master one. Also, Asetek's its own thing I believe.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Pascal right now. It's a while away yet, maybe even a year until we start seeing cards on Pascal.

ok then

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

That would also be a sensible choice to do as well since Pascal HBM GPUs will have upto 32GBs of Vram

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

I'm worried i'll spend £600 on the gtx 980TI to then see it fall to Pascal next year and i also read that AMD has 83% performance increase with a new (DX12) upcoming game where-as Nvidia had an 8% increase and at higher resolution a decrease? 

Can anyone clear all this up for me?

Would you recommend the r9 390x or Gtx 970/980?

Not happening on that 600W PSU

Add the price of a 800+ W PSU, and if it's still cheaper it's a good option.

To be safe I went for a 1000w psu as I was running 6 drives and 14 fans at the time of purchasing.

980Ti.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I was thinking exactly the same thing, not sure if its performance justify its price, and im not sure if it'll keep up with newer games for the next 2 or 3 years

I only purchased mine for the performance it brings to Project Cars, I don't game much. Having said that, I am very happy with the way it runs. pcars it will total;ly max out the graphics settings at 1080p (even ds9 which is only recommended for taking pictures in game lol) Across 3 screens it will happily hit 60fps at ds2. It is DX12 ready which should allow it to run games for quite some time into the future. 

To be safe I went for a 1000w psu as I was running 6 drives and 14 fans at the time of purchasing.

850 should be fine, technically, as long as the PSU also has 28A on 12V

I was thinking exactly the same thing, not sure if its performance justify its price, and im not sure if it'll keep up with newer games for the next 2 or 3 years

It brings a lot of headaches with it though, using as much power as it does. Sure, it's cheap, but OP would also have to invest in a new PSU, and not just any PSU either, one with a fairly beefy 12V rail.

It's not worth it for OP IMHO.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

So will the 980ti last 2 years at 1440p 60fps do we think?

I mean its only been out for 3 months right?

I'm worried i'll spend £600 on the gtx 980TI to then see it fall to Pascal next year and i also read that AMD has 83% performance increase with a new (DX12) upcoming game where-as Nvidia had an 8% increase and at higher resolution a decrease? 

Can anyone clear all this up for me?

Would you recommend the r9 390x or Gtx 970/980?

First off the DX12 benchmarks released until now are very unclear and it might be a while until games start fully supporting DX12 and using it. Sure there a few games who are planning on using it like Ark for example but there's still a long road until DX12 becomes "mainstream".

Now about pascal... it's all about the time you plan on waiting. First off, you need to realize something, Pascal may be coming already next year but it'll be a while until they pull out the big guns (which I'm guessing is what you're looking for, the high end cards). So it's all dependent on how much you're willing to wait. If you don't feel like waiting 1-2 years or you just need the gpu now than get the 980ti. If not than just get a r390x and well.. .wait :lol:. 

And the "10x maxwell power" is obviously not refered to gaming. Don't expect a miracle evolution coming out of pascal. The most you'll get from the pascal is probably the same evolution as we've seen with past generations. Maybe 4k will be a bit more benefited with the next generation

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17