ssd suddenly losing space

MysticDragon

so i have the feeling something is taking up 20-40 gigs of my ssd with it has no right to do so, however i have no idea what this is and if this is true. anyone who can help?  :huh:

Download WinDirStat

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Try checking your Paging File settings.

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

err...  i think it has to do with steam but im ont sure

Well check for System restore points also because those can eat up several gigs depending on the settings and how many changes you make to your system.

You really should only install games on SSD when there is a real benefit.    Most Steam games don't  but games like Arma do and it's more then just load times

and smaller games really don't benefit that much in terms of load times for the space they eat up.

Use SSD space wisely.

Well check for System restore points also because those can eat up several gigs depending on the settings and how many changes you make to your system.

You really should only install games on SSD when there is a real benefit.    Most Steam games don't  but games like Arma do and it's more then just load times

and smaller games really don't benefit that much in terms of load times for the space they eat up.

Use SSD space wisely.

Alternatively buy 1tb SSD and don't care.

Windows actually has a built in tool for this. Under windows 10, just right your drive in This PC and then click disk cleanup beside the little pie graph that shows how much space you have used.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 ~ GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7950 Vapor-X @ 1150/1650MHz @ 1.2Vcore ~ Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 ~ RAM: 2x4GB Patriot Signature DDR3 @ 8-9-9-20 1600MHz 1.5V ~ PSU: EVGA Supernova NEX 750W B1 ~ Storage: 250GB Crucial MX200 SSD/1TB WD Blue HDD ~ Case: Corsair 200R ~  Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95

Alternatively buy 1tb SSD and don't care.

sure, you transfer the money to buy one to my bank account?  <_<

sure, you transfer the money to buy one to my bank account?  <_<

I'm good ty :).

so i have the feeling something is taking up 20-40 gigs of my ssd with it has no right to do so, however i have no idea what this is and if this is true. anyone who can help?  :huh:

Hey there MysticDragon,

I'd try cleaning up the drive with the built-in utility of the OS. Also check if hibernation is enabled. Reducing the size of the page file or completely moving it to another drive can also help. I'd check which of the applications can actually benefit from the SSD's performance and whatever isn't - simply move it.
Checking the health of the drive with a diagnostic utility from the manufacturer can also be useful to see if the drive is performing properly. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there MysticDragon,

I'd try cleaning up the drive with the built-in utility of the OS. Also check if hibernation is enabled. Reducing the size of the page file or completely moving it to another drive can also help. I'd check which of the applications can actually benefit from the SSD's performance and whatever isn't - simply move it.
Checking the health of the drive with a diagnostic utility from the manufacturer can also be useful to see if the drive is performing properly. :)

Captain_WD.

yeah sadly that tool isnt working

yeah sadly that tool isnt working

In that case I would contact the OS manufacturer's support and ask for some advice and tips. If that doesn't work out well, you can use third-party tools but I would first read how well do they perform and how to properly use them (opinions on public forums like this one should provide enough info).

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

In that case I would contact the OS manufacturer's support and ask for some advice and tips. If that doesn't work out well, you can use third-party tools but I would first read how well do they perform and how to properly use them (opinions on public forums like this one should provide enough info).

Captain_WD.

i meant the windows tool?