JDS Labs Element?

JPopJRockFanatic
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

I'm sure it's fine. $350 seems steep, the large volume knob is the only selling point in my view. $300 nets a Schiit Uber stack with optical in and pre-amp out.

I wanna ask if anyone has had any experience with this amp and DAC combo.

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/151/the-element/

I am not too sure if it really is based off of the O2, even if it says in their blog, since I am not too keen on having a manufacturer say it straight from them when I haven't read or heard of actual experience with it from anyone other than the company. I like the looks and I don't mind the extra compared to the O2 since it looks more ergonomic.

I intend to replace my O2 with the Element because I have some regrets with the O2 such as not buying the one with rear-power, RCA connections, the DAC built-in to it, and the oh so rather fragile 3.5mm connection. Plus, there's been some user damage after trying to repair it on my own.

Hope to hear from you guys. 

Random person here...

I have checked the specs and they seem apart. But I think specs are only one of the first chapters of the story.

Random person here...

I'm sure it's fine. $350 seems steep, the large volume knob is the only selling point in my view. $300 nets a Schiit Uber stack with optical in and pre-amp out.

Yeah, I think the Schiit Stack would be a better deal. I guess I should scratch out the Element.

A bit off-topic. I'm planning to downgrade my speakers since I'm moving soon to a smaller place. If I get the LSR305's, do I just plug them straight to my PC or a DAC? I have never owned active speakers and they seem foreign to me.

Random person here...

Yeah, I think the Schiit Stack would be a better deal. I guess I should scratch out the Element.

A bit off-topic. I'm planning to downgrade my speakers since I'm moving soon to a smaller place. If I get the LSR305's, do I just plug them straight to my PC or a DAC? I have never owned active speakers and they seem foreign to me.

If you were to get either of the aforementioned products, you would plug them into the line-out or pre-out of the DAC or amp respectively. This is where the Schiit pulls ahead once again, as the pre-out allows you to control the volume from your amp, instead of having to reach around to the back of each speaker separately. Of course, you could use the overall system volume control, but this is less convenient and flexible, and may reduce quality in 16-bit mode.

If you were to get either of the aforementioned products, you would plug them into the line-out or pre-out of the DAC or amp respectively. This is where the Schiit pulls ahead once again, as the pre-out allows you to control the volume from your amp, instead of having to reach around to the back of each speaker separately. Of course, you could use the overall system volume control, but this is less convenient and flexible, and may reduce quality in 16-bit mode.

Okay, just to be sure if I understood this correctly. So, I plug the LSR305's to the Magni's RCA out via TRS to RCA and I can control my volume from there, right?

Random person here...

Okay, just to be sure if I understood this correctly. So, I plug the LSR305's to the Magni's RCA out via TRS to RCA and I can control my volume from there, right?

The magni uber, yes. Regular magni, no.

The magni uber, yes. Regular magni, no.

Alright, thank you :D

Random person here...

Alright, thank you :D

As usual, SSL is very helpful :)

(especially when people don't make silly comments [emoji14])

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)