Windows 10 after reboot wont start need help plz

i have just upgraded to windows 10 and have been using it for the last 2 weeks, when i restarted my machine yesterday it just failed to boot and hung at the windows load screen, i tried to recover my old windows and failed and ive tried to repair windows 10 and still no luck, can anybody plz help.

i have just upgraded to windows 10 and have been using it for the last 2 weeks, when i restarted my machine yesterday it just failed to boot and hung at the windows load screen, i tried to recover my old windows and failed and ive tried to repair windows 10 and still no luck, can anybody plz help.

Reinstall the OS entirely?

Reinstall the OS entirely?

thats one thing i didnt wanna do but if i have to then ill have to, damn

thats one thing i didnt wanna do but if i have to then ill have to, damn

wait for some others to respond before you do that, It may be the last resort though

Have you tried repairing your Windows install off Windows installation media?

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Have you tried repairing your Windows install off Windows installation media?

i tried doing that but for some reason it says that my drive is locked, i tried to fix the MBR but that made things worse lol

How to fix:

The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.

Explaining for novice users - further below VHD is mentioned.

VHD is Virtual Hard Disk and can be regarded as real disk as it has the same logical structure, e.g. partitions, boot sectors e.t.c. and more important - you can install an operating system like Windows on it !

The whole concept of virtualization (virtual processors, virtual disks, virtual machines) is not only interesting but also very practical as home computers are usually powerful enough to run an operating system on top of another.

Brief description what caused the error (if not interested skip to "repair steps"):

Installed new version of Ubuntu 12.04 and Virtual Box in dual boot with Windows 7.

Wanted to try if a Windows 8 installation to VHD could be run by Virtual Box on Ubuntu.

Created a new virtual machine with the VHD in question in Virtual Box and started it.

No luck. My processor did not have VT-x.

So rebooted my computer and selected Windows 8 just to check if the VHD is still intact.

Was greeted with the error message:

"The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

Repair steps:

Booted my Windows 8 Install USB and started Recovery console.

1) First thing I tried was to check if VHD drive has still a correct disk structure using the command chkdsk.

chkdsk v: /R ( VHD was mounted to drive v: )

Note: The /R option "Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F)." The process is pretty long on larger disks. You can use the /F option instead on large disks if you do not want to wait for a more thorough checking.

So the alternative for large disk to the command above is:

chkdsk v: /F

No errors - everything was fine.

The error was showing pretty early before appearance of the "running circle" when booting Windows 8 so the problem was in winload.exe or the very first system files loaded by winload.exe. (Winload.exe is Windows loader for Vista and later versions and is the first file loaded and executed by Windows boot manager after you select to load Vista/7/8 OS from boot-menu.)

After spending some time on several forums it appeared that the error message in question was reported in connection with error code 0xC0000098.

The message for error code 0xC0000098 is 

"The volume for a file has been externally altered such that the opened file is no longer valid."

Attaching Windows 8 VHD to Virtual Box and starting it had as result that some file needed for starting up the system was altered by Virtual Box and left in an inconsistent state.

2) For repairing boot environment files Microsoft delivers the utility bcdboot.

bcdboot is known to fix BCD errors but it also recreates the whole \boot folder, fixes bootmgr and winload.exe (and some other boot related files new in Windows 8)

Executed a simple command: 

bcdboot v:\Windows /s v:

(attached VHD was mapped to drive v:)

When using this command and having several Windows Vista/7/8 installations in dual or multi boot you should always choose the latest Windows version as parameter to the command because from this source (v:\Windows) the system protected boot related files are taken and installed to the system partition (active partition) if no /s parameter is specified.

That was it.

Rebooted and SUCCESS !

Note:

There was a small drawback however after using bcdboot - the "Repair your computer" in advanced boot options on F8 key for the repaired loader (and boot menu entry) was missing but that was easy to solve with just two commands on command prompt (from a running Windows 8 VHD system in my case):

ReAgentC /disable

ReAgentC /enable

And everything was as it was before going into trouble..

It should be mentioned that if a system file needed for starting up the system is tampered the command:

sfc /scannow

should fix the issue - at least Windows should be able to start in safe mode where you could do more comfortable further investigations what is causing the problem if it still persists.

You can try also offline repair of system files:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

- "offbootdir" is the system reserved partition (usually about 100 MB in size) or the active partition on MBR disks

(on UEFI firmware and GPT style disks this is the EFI System partition used for booting)

- "offwindir" is the Windows directory on the drive you would like to fix.

Next would be to check integrity of drivers, anti-virus program (switching it off) and so on the chain of loaded programs.

A start-up with boot logging would also be helpful as it would record the last loaded file at error point.

Hope this helps.

Make sure your computer has enough power to startup so make sure your power sockets aren't filled up