Storage Transfer

Giraffackle

Here is the situation. I have a computer where and I record with Fraps, and a computer that I edit on. I need the quickest and simplest way of transferring the video files (which are huge) without compressing them to the editing computer. The best I came up with was a hot swap bay on both computers and just switching the HDD for Fraps over to the editing computer. Is this the best solution? This is the hot swap bay I want to get btw: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093FINMU/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1A7G1SRP4E6QQNP2A72D&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

My name is Sebastian, I relate to Linus

Here is the situation. I have a computer where and I record with Fraps, and a computer that I edit on. I need the quickest and simplest way of transferring the video files (which are huge) without compressing them to the editing computer. The best I came up with was a hot swap bay on both computers and just switching the HDD for Fraps over to the editing computer. Is this the best solution? This is the hot swap bay I want to get btw: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093FINMU/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1A7G1SRP4E6QQNP2A72D&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

i would network transfer

or just not use fraps 

use shadow play file sizses are better

i would network transfer

or just not use fraps 

The file sizes are better due to lossy compression.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i would network transfer

or just not use fraps 

I used to use shadow play, but it didn't work with every game. Network transfer is also slow for me (around 11.4 mbps) because I use a powerline adapter since I don't have cat 6 in my walls.

I used to use shadow play, but it didn't work with every game. Network transfer is also slow for me (around 11.4 mbps) because I use a powerline adapter since I don't have cat 6 in my walls.

It's not the fastest method but it is the easiest.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Does your motherboard support hot swapping?

I believe it does, but even if it doesn't, I don't mind needing to have the computer off to insert the hdd.

It's not the fastest method but it is the easiest.

That's true, I am currently using until I get the hot swap bays, I was just wondering if there were any faster solutions because with the uncompressed files, it does take a while.. :D

USB 3 external drive.

Thunderbolt external drives if your machines support them.

Gigabit Ethernet connection between the two.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer