Automated Email retrieval via command line.

Go to solution Solved by fizzlesticks,

Check your router, it might have a built in ddns.

So school is starting up quite soon and Id figure I wanted to kickstart my brain with some small scripting projects to get my mind out of "summer vacation". And while setting my my home SSH server I found an interesting idea. Being on residential internet, I cannot have a static ip. I even tried "persuading" (complaining) to my ISP and nope. granted it doesn't change that too often but I need on demand access to my server throughout the year. 

my solution right now involves running a script daily checking for ip changes and emailing it to myself if it does change. that part was simple enough.

now being the incredibly lazy person I am, I want to be able to write a script that can retrieve and parse my mail on the client end, and on the fly update my ssh config file So i don't have to manually type the address. Though cannot seem to find a simple enough utility that can at least get a list of emails. 

anyone have ideas? 

Check your router, it might have a built in ddns.

Huh, didn't even think about that. just upgraded to a new router a few days ago, and never noticed it during config. well that solved a lot of problems. 

mutt 

and curl a web page that shows your wan IP.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?