New Build: Crashes With More Than 1 DIMM of RAM

Egad
Go to solution Solved by iamdarkyoshi,

try reseating the CPU. Are any of the pins bent?

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS X-99A

CPU: Intel 5960X

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB

CPU: 2x EVGA GTX 980Ti

RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR @ 3000 MHz

New build.  Started out trying to install Win10 off a USB Key.  It crashed out every time I was in the extracting the files stage.  So I tried Win 8 and had the same result.  Toyed around with EZ XMP, BIOS XMP profiles, etc.  No change.

So I pulled all but Slot 1, so down to 4 GB System RAM, and the whole thing installed just fine, was stable, etc.  I then tried adding the RAM back in in various combos (8 GB, 16 GB, etc).  It kept crashing.  Never with the same error, but always with an error related to memory management or something getting corrupt.  I'd boot the computer, log in, launch Edge and with 30 to 60 seconds, Blue Screen of Death.

Next I pulled down MemTest and booted that up.  Ran through all four passes of tests without a single error both with EZ XMP on and off (It's switch on the mobo).  The mobo also has a memtest switch on it, held it down and it showed the all clear code.  

I've been googing around trying to find if there is some magic I need to do so that the X-99A and Windows play nice, but I can't find anything.

Thanks!

sounds like a mobo problem, or RAM. RMA it if you have no other choice. 

Also hope to hell your not using that PC to game.

-

Are you using all A slots or using B slots as well, it seems you are trying to run quad channel memory but doing so using the wrong slots.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

What power supply do you have?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

What power supply do you have?

Corsair HX1000i (1000 watt)

Are you using all A slots or using B slots as well, it seems you are trying to run quad channel memory but doing so using the wrong slots.

With all 32 GB in, it fills ever slot, for tests of smaller amounts I'm spacing it out properly.  

sounds like a mobo problem, or RAM. RMA it if you have no other choice. 

Also hope to hell your not using that PC to game.

That's what I was afraid of.  Any thoughts on how to narrow it down to mobo or RAM?  I don't have another DDR4 board to toss the RAM and check it out there.

It may occasionally load a game, but will spend most of its time powering a 3D scanner.  

I did reseat when I was changing coolers as I moved between the bench and the case and it seemed good then.  I'll pull it and go back over them though.  

With all 32 GB in, it fills ever slot, for tests of smaller amounts I'm spacing it out properly.  

If one RAM stick worked fine and when using the remaining sticks it didn't work something is wrong with the placement, using all A slots is first priority and B slots are second priority, from experience you can't mix and match slots A and B.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

This was the fix, reran memtest with it reconfigured to use all 16 CPUs in parallel and it blew up halfway through Test 2.  RMA time.   Thanks!

Darn. Was it a new or used motherboard?

Brand new, but I bought it off Amazon and often they'll just swap it out and save me the hassle of the ASUS RMA.  So I shall hope.  

Right now I'm just thankful that 5690Xs don't have pins.  At the very worst case if both Amazon and ASUS go with "No, you must have bent that pin, your problem."  it's a much cheaper fix than a new processor.