Laptop speedup?

hi,

I just bought a new laptop and i was wondering what i can do by softwear or tweaks to make it a bit more responsive?

i have a Dell inspiron 15 5000 (new)

I7 5500U

16GB ram

2TB HDD

Very good specs but in use its not as fast as i like, i know a SSD will make it faster but whish not a option for now.

someone tips?

thanks anyway

P.S. i need the specs for school, studing IT and going to need the memory for virtual machines. =)

buy an SSD 

necessary.

try CCLeaner, only other option 

Uninstall bloatware - run CCleaner, check which apps are always running on startup.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

CCleaner and reinstall Windows.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

It's amazing how many people instantly suggest CCleaner. It's not a surprise that Piriform completely sold out what was an amazing tool back in the day to make money.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

Use ADWCleaner to remove any junky s/w and stuffs.

Use Ccleaner for maintanence for cleaning registry errors and removing temp files.

Defrag the HDD to speedup.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

thanks for the fast responses, i will try ccleaner.

anyway to tweak windows more then the normal ways like turn off animations?

Not worth it - an SSD is really all that every laptop needs.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

not use a ultra-low power cpu. personally i have a i7 3517u and its SHIT. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

not use a ultra-low power cpu. personally i have a i7 3517u and its SHIT. 

Something is definitely wrong with your system, it is not your CPU.

Get an SSD. The best you can do is a deep defrag with O&O Defrag (trial version is all you need), which takes several hours to do. (once started, click on the down arrow bellow the green start button, and select COMPLETE/Access). Beside that, a you'll pretty much reach the max speed of the HDD in a real world setup. An SSD is what will give you the most boost.

For super fast speed, I recommend Samsung 850 Pro. Slower but more affordable option, I recommend the Samsung 850 EVO.

Turning off animations will not boost speed. It will increase responsiveness on a system with a very weak CPU like something like early Atom based CPUs, and low-end Celeron's, and even then, I mean mostly everything is GPU rendered these days.

Something is definitely wrong with your system, it is not your CPU.

Cpu usage is always 100% on windows 10 fresh install.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Cpu usage is always 100% on windows 10 fresh install.

Yup, something is wrong with your system, and not the CPU.

Yup, something is wrong with your system, and not the CPU.

mmmmmk.

but i still suspect thermal throttling xD

its been like this since the warrenty ran out

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

mmmmmk.

but i still suspect thermal throttling xD

its been like this since the warrenty ran out

Always get extended warranty with the manufacture (and the keywords are: with the manufacture), for laptops and convertible systems, is what I recommend. Often something breaks after the warranty, especially if you move your laptop on daily basis, like bringing it to school everyday, not mention might get bumped on and such. Also, avoiding purchasing system with too high specs for the price also helps, because hardware cost is always the same for everyone, more or less. So if you find a "great deal", they usually cut somewhere (poor thermal paste, poor cooling engineering, poor self servicing, cheapo fan that doesn't much much air and louder, crappy heatsink design or material forcing providing inadequate cooling, and so on. Much like when you custom build a computer. You can have a nice system with a GTX 980Ti, and 32GB of RAM, and a 8 core CPU for really cheap. Just get that 40$ motherboard, the slowest and worst timing RAM money can buy, buy the OEM CPU no heatsink one, and use a 20$ heatsink, and an old beige case of yester-year.  sure It will be inexpensive, and have great specs, but after 1 year, probably the system will have problems top to bottom. All to say, is that you always get you paid for.

Now I am not saying that your system is bad, I fully understand the bad of manufacture error, it really sucks. Was just speaking in general for other readers. And of course there are always exception in life, but this is all reputation on what the brand we trust most comes into play.

Always get extended warranty with the manufacture (and the keywords are: with the manufacture), for laptops and convertible systems, is what I recommend. Often something breaks after the warranty, especially if you move your laptop on daily basis, like bringing it to school everyday, not mention might get bumped on and such. Also, avoiding purchasing system with too high specs for the price also helps, because hardware cost is always the same for everyone, more or less. So if you find a "great deal", they usually cut somewhere (poor thermal paste, poor cooling engineering, poor self servicing, cheapo fan that doesn't much much air and louder, crappy heatsink design or material forcing providing inadequate cooling, and so on. Much like when you custom build a computer. You can have a nice system with a GTX 980Ti, and 32GB of RAM, and a 8 core CPU for really cheap. Just get that 40$ motherboard, the slowest and worst timing RAM money can buy, buy the OEM CPU no heatsink one, and use a 20$ heatsink, and an old beige case of yester-year.  sure It will be inexpensive, and have great specs, but after 1 year, probably the system will have problems top to bottom. All to say, is that you always get you paid for.

Now I am not saying that your system is bad, I fully understand the bad of manufacture error, it really sucks. Was just speaking in general for other readers. And of course there are always exception in life, but this is all reputation on what the brand we trust most comes into play.

ASUS ultrabook s56c 

paid $700 CAD for that.. I only use it around my house at school I use my iPhone/their shitty hp dual core amd pcs.. 

There was no extended warrenty on my laptop and if there was I upgraded from a 500gb to a 240gb ssd (hdd had 34% dead sectors).

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

ASUS ultrabook s56c 

paid $700 CAD for that.. I only use it around my house at school I use my iPhone/their shitty hp dual core amd pcs.. 

There was no extended warrenty on my laptop and if there was I upgraded from a 500gb to a 240gb ssd (hdd had 34% dead sectors).

Well that is a shame. As for the hardware changes, usually the manufacture tells you to put back the original one before shipping the system to them, because they sometimes will replace the system with another refurbished one, and not actually fix the system. Also, usually the warranty doesn't go voided when you do this. Just the original system part is part of the warranty.

Undervolting the CPU can help it run a little faster.

An SSD would be a great improvement, did someone already say that. :/

Well that is a shame. As for the hardware changes, usually the manufacture tells you to put back the original one before shipping the system to them, because they sometimes will replace the system with another refurbished one, and not actually fix the system. Also, usually the warranty doesn't go voided when you do this. Just the original system part is part of the warranty.

It was after the 1 year warrenty. The day AFTER. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

It was after the 1 year warrenty. The day AFTER.

That really sucks. Did you try calling and see?

I do know that some few manufacture like Microsoft with it's Surface product and Logitech, have a grace period if you are nice on the phone.

Well in the case of Microsoft, it tells you on the site the warranty end period, and it is over 1 year by a few months, Logitech doesn't tell you their true period.

Well anyway, too late now if you didn't call. I am sure you can look into it.. Maybe some new thermal paste, clean the fan and heatsink. If something is broken, maybe look on eBay for part replacement. See if that helps. Anyway, that is off topics.

That really sucks. Did you try calling and see?

I do know that some few manufacture like Microsoft with it's Surface product and Logitech, have a grace period if you are nice on the phone.

Well in the case of Microsoft, it tells you on the site the warranty end period, and it is over 1 year by a few months.

Tryed getting like a replacement or refurb but they are like no your warrenty expired yesterday so no new pc for you.

Also its been 2 years since i bought it and it died about 4 months ago (chipset died)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.