Am I going over the top with an i5 for these games?

I'm currently play stuff like CS:GO, LoL (this could run on a hardwired potato), Monaco: What's Yours is Mine, Payday 2, and WoW. I use an A4-5300 with a GTX 650. They all run fine, but I want to play games like Far Cry 4 which are harsher to run. I have seen a video where someone compared the PS4 to a G3258 with a 750 Ti. They were capable of running Far Cry 4 with a nice 25-30ish FPS. I intend to snag an i5-4590 with a 750 Ti. Is this over the top or should I just YOLO it?

Hi.

i5 is the sweetspot of performance currently. But 750ti is not the best value for money. you can find r7 370 for similar price, I think.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You can never buy "too much" computer power.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

I5 is perfect. Get a GTX 950 or R9 380 though.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I would say, a GTX 650 to a 750 ti isn't that big of an upgrade, so maybe you could first only buy the CPU, and then when you have more money, buy a better graphics card (or buy one now, but secondhand).

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

you should get the 950ti instead of the 750! it is only a little more expensive, but a much better card overall.

anyway, that I5 should be pretty good for newer games.

I'd probably get an i3 with a better GPU if I were you.

Well a 4590 has a lot more to offer than what a 750 ti can provide, but in even the most intense games a 4590 won't struggle. You're good but I do think you should look at other options (maybe, just maybe, from team red?)

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

You can never buy "too much" computer power.

Lol, true.

I5 is perfect. Get a GTX 950 or R9 380 though.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking of the GTX 950 but I was leaning a bit towards a 750 Ti because of my garbage PSU. I'll just replace it and get a 950.

I would say, a GTX 650 to a 750 ti isn't that big of an upgrade, so maybe you could first only buy the CPU, and then when you have more money, buy a better graphics card (or buy one now, but secondhand).

I'll probably upgrade to a 950 instead. Thanks.

Hi.

Lol, true.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking of the GTX 950 but I was leaning a bit towards a 750 Ti because of my garbage PSU. I'll just replace it and get a 950.

I'll probably upgrade to a 950 instead. Thanks.

since you are replacing your SPU, I suggest getting a 270X or waiting for the 370x to come the the US. it offers better performance for the same, or less money.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

id get an i3 and a better gpu because an i3 is an amazing cpu for $100

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I have seen a video where someone compared the PS4 to a G3258 with a 750 Ti. They were capable of running Far Cry 4 with a nice 25-30ish FPS.

that made me laugh! :D

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR