Cooking Thread - Post Your Favorite Recipes!

byalexandr

So besides tech stuff, I like to cook. I'm not a chef by any means, but there are a few dishes that I truly enjoy. Post the following:

-Background on your dish, or why you like it.

-Ingredients.

-Cooking/Preparing Instructions.

-(Optional) Picture of your dish, whether it be yours or from someone else.

I'll start off with mine. I am Russian, and when I was little my grandmother used to cook 'rice porridge' for breakfast, very delicious. Every so often I like to make the dish, for breakfast or even for dinner, it brings back so many memories and has to be one of the best tasting dishes I've eaten. Here is what you need:

-1 cup short grain white rice

-2 cups water

-2 cups whole or 2% milk

-1/4 teaspoon of salt

-1 half stick of butter

-Sugar to taste

Start out by measuring the rice and pouring it in a medium sized pot, along with the 2 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil and boil until almost all of the water is gone. Sprinkle in the salt as well as the milk, and bring the milk to a slightly vigorous boil. Boil the rice and milk mixture for exactly 3 minutes. Once at the 3 minute mark, shut off the heat and quickly cover the pot. Leave to sit for around 10 minutes to let the milk settle and the rice porridge to thicken. Serve with a tablespoon of butter and sugar.

Here is a picture of what my dish looks like, otherwise known as (in poorly translated Russian to English, of course) 'kasha', although this variant is with rice: 

post-2597-0-60409400-1440941262.jpg

Post your dishes, I am interested to see what you guys enjoy!

post-2597-0-60409400-1440941262.jpg

I can warm up baked beans

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Freshly baked pizza

Ingredients: 

• One telephone or computer w/ access to internet 
  • Dominos contact number/website
  • Money

Freshly baked pizza

Ingredients: 

• Money

Ingredients:

Money

Cooked rice with Vegeta anyone?

1. Cook rice.
  2. Season with Vegeta to taste

Cooked rice with Vegeta anyone?

1. Cook rice.
  2. Season with Vegeta to taste

Vegeta? I've never heard of it...

I think there's been a mistake..

You are describing pizza but mention some shitty fast food place

Shitty fast food pizza is still shitty fast food pizza

I think there's been a mistake..

You are describing pizza but mention some shitty fast food place

Dominos, the only pizza I buy from then is the hand spun pan pizza or something like that

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

A swedish specillity, Meatballs and potatoes. Its delicus and pretty easy to make. Or well its just to cook potatoes and steak the meatballs :)

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Baking your own pizza is the way to go,
i was actually planning to make pizza for dinner this night :P

When in doubt: C4

Freshly baked pizza

Ingredients: 

• Money

These pizzas are not fresh and extremely disgusting once you know how to properly eat real pizza.

These pizzas are not fresh and extremely disgusting once you know how to properly eat real pizza.

Well, the ones at my Dominos are (fresh that is), and I never once said they were traditional Italian pizzas... 

All I can do is boil water, does that count as cooking?

Well, the ones at my Dominos are (fresh that is), and I never once said they were traditional Italian pizzas... 

I never took Italian pizza into my comparison, real fresh food isn't served in some trashy paper box.

Dominos is crap.

I never took Italian pizza into my comparison, real fresh food isn't served in some trashy paper box.

Dominos is crap.

It being in a cardboard box, doesn't mean it's not fresh... 

Incredibly low carb and calorie pizza.

Crust:

- 4 zucchini

- 1 egg

- Fat free mozzarella cheese (1/3ish cup)

- Italian seasoning (a teaspoon, or to taste)

Crust directions:

1. Grate the zucchini and add generous amount of kosher salt. (Don't worry, it won't taste salty later). 

2. Let it sit for about 30 minutes over a bowl or sink for water to drain. 

3. Do whatever you can to remove as much of the excess water as you can. Wringing the crap out of it in a cheese cloth works well. 

4. Mix the grated zucchini, egg, cheese, and seasoning in a bowl. 

5. Spread thin over a nonstick pan. No more than 1cm.  (I use parchment paper on my pan, but your mileage may vary)

6. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes at 400F until browned and more moisture has evaporated (flipping the crust can help with texture)

The rest of the pizza is pretty self explanatory:

1. Add pizza sauce. 

2. Vegetable toppings (onions, garlic, green peppers, mushrooms, etc)

3. Meat toppings are good, but don't use pre-packaged items. It will negate the healthful quality of the pizza. 

4. More cheese of your choice. 

5. Bake at same temperature until the cheese is melted to your liking. Generally 15 more minutes. 

The crust is not likely to be cripsy. It'll probably be floppy but it won't be soggy if you removed water out of it like was instructed.

But holy crap it's good.

Final Steps:

1. Eat the whole thing

2. Don't feel guilty about it. 

3. Thank me later.

post-122698-0-38124900-1440943776.png

post-122698-0-17102300-1440943796_thumb.

post-122698-0-38124900-1440943776.png

post-122698-0-17102300-1440943796_thumb.

The best dish that I know, that I can cook myself, is Korean style fired chicke. It tastes great and it's not too complicated to make.

Ingredients (for about 4 people)

• About 1kg of chicken (personally I prefere breast meat, but it can be wings and drunsticks aswell)
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon grounded pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of minched ginger
  • 2/3 cup corn starch
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup rice syrup
  • 4 large-ish dried chili peppers (make sure they are whole peppers)
  • 4 cloves of minced garlic
  • Peanut oil or grapeseed oil for cooking

Cooking directions

• Mix the chicken with salt, ginger, and the grounded pepper in a bowl. 
  • Put the corn starch into a bowl and dip the chicken in the starch. Squeeze the chicke, so that the coat stay on. Put the chicken aside for now
  • Making the spicy sauce
  • Mix the garlic and the dried peppers (that you have cut to size) in a warm pan with a bit of cooking oil.
  • Stir it in the pan for about 30 seconds
  • Add the soy sauce, rice syrup and mustard and heat it up to a light boil, while you stir it.
  • Finally, you add the brown sugar while you keep stiring. When the sugar has melted, you remove the pan from heat.
  • Frying the chicken
  • Add the grapeseed ot peanut oil to a deep frying pan or pot and heat it for 8 minutes
  • Add the chicken to the oil and cook it for about 13 minutes. Turn the chicken from time to time.
  • Take out the chciken and let it rest on a paper towel for 3 minutes. Meanwhile you turn of the heat for the oil
  • Reheat the oil and fry the chicken again for about 15 minutes, or untill the chicken feels chrispy.
  • If you can't fry all the chicken at once, then seperate it into batches.
  • Finalizing the dish
  • Reheat the sauce from ealier untill it bubbles and add the chicken and stir the mixture
  • When all the chicken has been coated by the sauce, you put them onto a plate and sprinkel it with sesame seeds.

This dish goes well with rice and vegtables, but can also be eaten on its own.

And if you are old enough, do youself a favour and drink a cold beer with it.

11228D1.jpg

Just because I'm curious: What is it with Russians making porridge for breakfast. My wife does it aswell, and the only answer she has, is that she has always had porridge for breakfast.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It looks good but with all that cheese I doubt it's going to be low in calories.

Use whatever cheese you want.

(There's not as much as you think in the picture. I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of making a healthful pizza to ruin it with gobs of cheese.)

Just because I'm curious: What is it with Russians making porridge for breakfast. My wife does it aswell, and the only answer she has, is that she has always had porridge for breakfast.

I guess it's just a cultural thing, perhaps it's based on the foods we have available. I know rice and stuff is a very common food in Russia. There are a lot of other Russian foods I eat as well but porridge has to be the one I eat the most often, simply because it's easy to make. Other foods take hours or even a whole day to make.

I guess it's just a cultural thing, perhaps it's based on the foods we have available. I know rice and stuff is a very common food in Russia. There are a lot of other Russian foods I eat as well but porridge has to be the one I eat the most often, simply because it's easy to make. Other foods take hours or even a whole day to make.

I can understand that it's probably based on the food available and the convenience of making it, but why eat it for breakfast?

Is bread and cereal completly unknown items in Russian supermarkets? Or did those thing never make it to the breakfast table?

But I guess, that I am not one to ask questions about other peoples breakfast habits. I have been eating the same thing for breakfast almost every day for almost 6 years

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I can understand that it's probably based on the food available and the convenience of making it, but why eat it for breakfast?

Is bread and cereal completly unknown items in Russian supermarkets? Or did those thing never make it to the breakfast table?

But I guess, that I am not one to ask questions about other peoples breakfast habits. I have been eating the same thing for breakfast almost every day for almost 6 years

IMO I would rather have hot porridge for breakfast than cereal. Cereal is eaten, it's just not that common in Russia. It's like ice, if you ask for ice in a drink in Russia the waiter will look at you funny and probably think 'Silly American'.