C++ vs C# (and others)

IMPERIUS

Hi!

I'm wondering which language is best for financial programs? C++ is definitely a good one for that, but what about C# or others? Which one to go with and why (not looking at my skill but the things you can do with the language)?

Thanks!

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

C# is C++ but less stupid. Easy enough to make a financial type program with from my memory.

C# is C++ but less stupid. Easy enough to make a financial type program with from my memory.

Can it match C++ in EVERY aspect of its uses?

Certainly, I wouldn't bother with C++ in your case, I will be creating a similar piece of software you want to and I will be going C#.

But that's with my limited C++ knowledge that's also why I lean towards C#.

C++ for complex game engines and such, but C# for the more generic software.

(in my opinion)

Well yeah, it's the next evolution of that language tree.

My apologies for not contributing, I have a lack of knowledge in C#, but from what I've seen, it seems identical to what I remember of learning in C++.

WIP Build (Maul):

| CPU: R5 3600 | AIO: Stock GPU: Undecided (Vega 56 prob) MB: B450M RAM: 32gb 16x2 DDR4 3000mhz | PSU: Undecided HDD 1TB m.2 SSD | Case: Inwin 301 | $800-1000 PCPartpicker

Old Build (Vader):

Spoiler

| CPU: FX 8350 | AIO: h100i GPU: G1 GTX 970 MB: 990FXA-UD3 RAM: 8gb Vengence LP 1600mhz | PSU: EVGA 500B HDD 1TB x2 & 120GB Kingson SSD | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 |

Idle: 11-17c, Browsing: 13 - 23c, Load: 22 - 39c | Fedora & Arch Linux | $1,053 PCPartpicker

Certainly, I wouldn't bother with C++ in your case, I will be creating a similar piece of software you want to and I will be going C#.

But that's with my limited C++ knowledge that's also why I lean towards C#.

C++ for complex game engines and such, but C# for the more generic software.

(in my opinion)

(look in bold). well I'm making some pretty complex things. I can't reveal too much but it will not be some generic software

(look in bold). well I'm making some pretty complex things. I can't reveal too much but it will not be some generic software

You can do the exact same things. I haven't used either in a while but in my class I used both extensively for a multitude if different programs and C++ isn't for more complex things any more than C#. C# just simplifies a lot of the code.

You can do the exact same things. I haven't used either in a while but in my class I used both extensively for a multitude if different programs and C++ isn't for more complex things any more than C#. C# just simplifies a lot of the code.

Off topic to the post, but how did you change your member tag above your profile pic to "senseless"?

Thanks if respond.

WIP Build (Maul):

| CPU: R5 3600 | AIO: Stock GPU: Undecided (Vega 56 prob) MB: B450M RAM: 32gb 16x2 DDR4 3000mhz | PSU: Undecided HDD 1TB m.2 SSD | Case: Inwin 301 | $800-1000 PCPartpicker

Old Build (Vader):

Spoiler

| CPU: FX 8350 | AIO: h100i GPU: G1 GTX 970 MB: 990FXA-UD3 RAM: 8gb Vengence LP 1600mhz | PSU: EVGA 500B HDD 1TB x2 & 120GB Kingson SSD | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 |

Idle: 11-17c, Browsing: 13 - 23c, Load: 22 - 39c | Fedora & Arch Linux | $1,053 PCPartpicker

C# is good for rapid software development thanks to .NET framework provided, without the .NET framework it's pretty much the same C++

C++ is geared more towards specific applications and writing complex performance critical code.

You can achieve the same result with both of these languages, but it will generally take more time to develop system in C++ but if you have skillset required the code will generally perform much faster.

C# on the other hand will take less development time - oh and because you will probably use .NET Framework - it will run only in Windows environment.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

C++ because you can cross compile it and you dont need .NET to be installed.

I wouldn't call C++ stupid, it has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages being that's it's very efficient.

Disadvantages being that it is harder to learn and use.

It is used in numerous game engines as the main language for a reason.

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

I wouldn't call C++ stupid, it has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages being that's it's a very low level language and very efficient.

Disadvantages being that it is harder to learn and use.

It is used in numerous game engines as the main language for a reason.

Far too much that I have to remember with it..

C# isn't an evolution of the C programming language directly.

C++ is a superset of C

Java was influenced by C++

C# was influenced by Java

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Far too much that I have to remember with it..

Well yeah of course C++ is harder than C# or Java, but that doesn't make it stupid, it is still used a lot for complex software that demands efficiency 

C# isn't an evolution of the C programming language directly.

C++ is a superset of C

Java was influenced by C++

C# was influenced by Java

I know, and I can see the benefits of C++ AND the tradeoffs with it. At least for me.

@AlwaysFSX @Lord Gaben is this the right environment for me? https://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs (I was looking at barnacule's beginner guide that was from 2014, he used the 2013 version and it seems that this version (link) is an update to it? I'm just double checking)

Yes, if don't already have a preference on C++ or C# IDE's then I can highly recommend Visual Studio

C# is the cleanest language ive coded in honestly.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Hi!

I'm wondering which language is best for financial programs? C++ is definitely a good one for that, but what about C# or others? Which one to go with and why (not looking at my skill but the things you can do with the language)?

Thanks!

Look, it is going to depend on the size of the financial data, and if you need any of the features that C++ (better low level optimisation) has over C# versus the features C# has over C++ (much easier to work with, much better libraries (it can also use every library made for C++), actual events and not just infinite while..then loops).

For a financial system, your real bottleneck/slowdown will be the SQL server anyway. So pick the language your the best at (if you don't know either start with C#, it's easier).