Buying a 4790k in the coming week or so, need suggestions

Go to solution Solved by domini123,

I was looking at the NH-D15, I think with all the suggestions, and reviews I'll pick it up :P.. now to chose a mobo, im stuck between asus' z97-ar-r and msi's z97-gaming 3.. anyone have any experience with either?

for the cooler because you have a K series go for a wattercooler im using antec kühler 650 and my 4690k is very cool (50C on load and fan at 20%)

for the motherboard ho for any z97 that looks nice and has all the features you are looking for

Hey all,

I'll be picking up a 4790k Devil's Canyon soon and I was wondering if people could suggest a good cheap air cooler and affordable motherboard. I know for the cooler there's the obvious evo 212, or this helpful video: 

..but I'm wondering if there's anything else in the 40$CAD(ish) range that could beat Cooler Master's "legendary" air cooler. As for the mobo, im looking at the msi Z97-Gaming 3. I've only ever bought/used ASUS boards and I'm wondering if msi makes decent quality stuff.

Would love to hear what you guys are running your 4790k's on or any advice :) Thanks!

Ps: I hope the video made you lol

the hyper 212 evo it's about your only option for that budget

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

if you plant to overclock, which with a k series im sure you will, youre better off spending a bit more and getting something like a noctua dh-14 or 15 or a be quiet dark rock pro 3

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

if you plant to overclock, which with a k series im sure you will, youre better off spending a bit more and getting something like a noctua dh-14 or 15 or a be quiet dark rock pro 3

I was looking at the NH-D15, I think with all the suggestions, and reviews I'll pick it up :P.. now to chose a mobo, im stuck between asus' z97-ar-r and msi's z97-gaming 3.. anyone have any experience with either?

Thats how I cool my laptop, except i use more ice.  Follow every other step to a T though.

for the cooler because you have a K series go for a wattercooler im using antec kühler 650 and my 4690k is very cool (50C on load and fan at 20%)

for the motherboard ho for any z97 that looks nice and has all the features you are looking for

Okay sounds good, but I won't be overclocking for at least a year so I'm gonna stick with air for now just for the sake of reliability and not having liquid running inside an electrical device x)

Okay sounds good, but I won't be overclocking for at least a year so I'm gonna stick with air for now just for the sake of reliability and not having liquid running inside an electrical device x)

i thought that too but the air cooler REALLY increases your case temperature which resoults in higher temperatures of all other components and a shorter life spam of all of them.

the anctec kuhler 650 is around 50$ and its really quiet and the build quality outstanding (its impossible to get a leak and you can possibly king a tube it also has a RGB led which you can control through software)

and if you wont be overclocking your K series just get a non k and then you can save a lot of money for the same resoult and can get a cheaper motherboard with no overclocking and thenget a better gpu or  yust have money left over.

but if you are still going with a K series just increase the multiplier by 2 (0.2 Ghz) its so much better performance and the tems are still low.

and if you are still not overclocking just get the cheapest air coller because it'll be enough if no overclock or stick with the stock cooler