Boot up Windows 8 from laptop hard drive?

Cynical Plum

Is it possible to use the hard drive from my old laptop to boot up Windows 8 on my new PC? And if so, how?

I have an Asus motherboard. No idea what to do on the BIOS.

Is it possible to use the hard drive from my old laptop to boot up Windows 8 on my new PC? And if so, how?

I have an Asus motherboard. No idea what to do on the BIOS.

Hey there Cynical Plum,

Laptop or 2.5" drives are pretty much the same as regular 3.5" desktop drives, only in a smaller form factor. If you have an installed OS and you want to boot it on another system (different motherboard, CPU, etc.) you would most probably have compatibility issues with the drivers and the different hardware. 
You would need to reinstall the OS and all the applications and games. You can, however, keep all documents and the other data without a problem. All you have to do is remove everything valuable from the boot partition (C drive), put the drive in your new PC, star the installation process with your old key (unless the OS is a OEM version) and format the old C drive and install the OS there. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/