Using a NAS drive as a USB drive

davidst95

Hi, this might be unwise question but is it p tossibleo hook up a ethernet to USB adapter and access a NAS drive through your computer's USB port if you are without a router.    For example

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-SuperSpeed-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00BBD7NFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440890104&sr=8-2&keywords=ethernet+to+usb

Also, could you use a crossovere cableand plug the NAS drive directory into your Desktop's ethernet port?   Thanks.

David

Hi, this might be unwise question but is it p tossibleo hook up a ethernet to USB adapter and access a NAS drive through your computer's USB port if you are without a router.    For example

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-SuperSpeed-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00BBD7NFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440890104&sr=8-2&keywords=ethernet+to+usb

Also, could you use a crossovere cableand plug the NAS drive directory into your Desktop's ethernet port?   Thanks.

David

No you can't

No you can't

you actually can.

BUT....

its not worth it, trust me.

also, crossover cables arent a thing anymore, modern equipment detects and auto-switches just fine.

if you insist:

- plug as you said, powering both sides.

- the pc will detect it's on a P2P network, and assign itself a 169.x.x.x address (if i'm not mistaken, my adhoc skills are rusty)

- the nas drive *should* do the same

- you use a tool to scan the subnet for available addresses, and will hopefully find the NAS

- you connect to that address, and end up on the NAS.

- repead the last 2 steps every time you power off the NAS

----

in other words: not practical.

you actually can.

BUT....

its not worth it, trust me.

also, crossover cables arent a thing anymore, modern equipment detects and auto-switches just fine.

if you insist:

- plug as you said, powering both sides.

- the pc will detect it's on a P2P network, and assign itself a 169.x.x.x address (if i'm not mistaken, my adhoc skills are rusty)

- the nas drive *should* do the same

- you use a tool to scan the subnet for available addresses, and will hopefully find the NAS

- you connect to that address, and end up on the NAS.

- repead the last 2 steps every time you power off the NAS

----

in other words: not practical.

Most nases can't as far as the usb to ethernet thingy goes.

On some you can use them with a straight cable but you will lose your internet port so yeah that would be useless in most cases.

Most nases can't as far as the usb to ethernet thingy goes.

On some you can use them with a straight cable but you will lose your internet port so yeah that would be useless in most cases.

wait, i cant quite follow your logic here. whats so different about the usb to ethernet that makes this not work compared to your ethernet?

or am i reading wrong?

First of all, if you have data on that NAS drive that are critical to you, then there are ways.....second, on what NAS implementation was this drive part of ? did it came from a freeNAS system or something like that ? if yes then depending on the NAS flavor, you should proceed accordingly. feel free to ask or provide details.

Hi, thanks for all the replies.   The information is very helpful.   I guess I should of explain why I was asking about ethernt to USB.  I want to get a drive to connect to my Router in another part of my house to copy large backups files on a regular basis.   From what I read NAS drives provide better transfer speeds then USB 3.0 drives plug directl y into a router USB port.   I was just curious if my router goes out and I need the backup data quickly I could get the information off a NAS drive.   Thanks.

David