Network Congestion

GameDragon

Hi, recently I have been having problems with my router being slow. This is because it usually has 9 or 10 devices connected wirelesly. I was wondering, if I connect a network switch to my router via ethernet and then connect that to my laptop, will that give me the full network speeds or will I experience the same speeds as the other devices connect wirelessly to the router?

Thanks for any help!

well, if you experience low speeds because your wifi is a congested mess, you can improve a lot with a cable.

an easy way to test is simply to sit down next to the router with your laptop, and plug in a short cable, seeing if that helps.

I second manikyath. Complete a wired speed-test and see if it improves. More than likely it will which means there is too much WiFi traffic in the air causing interference. That could be fixed with a dual band router and have some devices connected to the 5Ghz band and some to the 2.4Ghz band. 

Other possible causes:

1) Poor signal connection to the modem.

2) Docsis 2.0 modem (you'll want a Docsis 3.0 modem)

3) Overheating modem or router.

4) Old/dying router.

5)Software/Hardware issue with the router.

6)Software/Hardware issue with the device.

Basically, you need to complete some troubleshooting and try to pin-point where the bottleneck is happening. If you could provide us with some more info on your setup (like how many WiFi networks are in your area, devices make and model, modem and router make and model then we may be able to assist with pin-pointing the root cause.

I second manikyath. Complete a wired speed-test and see if it improves. More than likely it will which means there is too much WiFi traffic in the air causing interference. That could be fixed with a dual band router and have some devices connected to the 5Ghz band and some to the 2.4Ghz band. 

Other possible causes:

1) Poor signal connection to the modem.

2) Docsis 2.0 modem (you'll want a Docsis 3.0 modem)

3) Overheating modem or router.

4) Old/dying router.

5)Software/Hardware issue with the router.

6)Software/Hardware issue with the device.

Basically, you need to complete some troubleshooting and try to pin-point where the bottleneck is happening. If you could provide us with some more info on your setup (like how many WiFi networks are in your area, devices make and model, modem and router make and model then we may be able to assist with pin-pointing the root cause.

Lul wut :D

What if he has DSL, WiMAXX, Fiber or LTE? - what would he use a DOCSIS modem for then? :D

Hi, recently I have been having problems with my router being slow. This is because it usually has 9 or 10 devices connected wirelesly. I was wondering, if I connect a network switch to my router via ethernet and then connect that to my laptop, will that give me the full network speeds or will I experience the same speeds as the other devices connect wirelessly to the router?

Thanks for any help!

If you connect a switch to your router, you will get the speed of the switch within your switched network.

If your internet connection is the bottleneck, you will not see any improvement by connecting a switch :)

The computers connected via ethernet to the 100/1000 switch, will be able to transfer files between them with a speed of up to 1000mbps, but if you want to transfer a file to or from a wireless client or a computer connected to the router, you will only achieve the speed of that device' capabilities

eu6cOQf.png

Ok, We have a very basic router that was supplied to us from our isp. We live at the end of a street and there is no possible chance that our network is interfereing with another network. Currently we have 9 devices connected to the router via wifi; no ethernet ports are being used. The router has decent speed when not all devices are using the internet but when 5 or 6 devices start being used the router becomes slow

Speedtest when not congested: 35ms ping, 10mbps down, 0.79mbps up

Speedtest when congested: 231ms ping, 2.34mbps down, 0.03mbps up

Ok, We have a very basic router that was supplied to us from our isp. We live at the end of a street and there is no possible chance that our network is interfereing with another network. Currently we have 9 devices connected to the router via wifi; no ethernet ports are being used. The router has decent speed when not all devices are using the internet but when 5 or 6 devices start being used the router becomes slow

Speedtest when not congested: 35ms ping, 10mbps down, 0.79mbps up

Speedtest when congested: 231ms ping, 2.34mbps down, 0.03mbps up

Sounds like a DSL connection from the ping and speeds :)

If its a DSL connection you have, its most likely due to poor QoS  and the technology of ADSL2+. There is not much you can do about it if someone on your network is using up all the upload.

In most cases on a DSL, when you utilize all your upload, your download will be affected.

You can try and limit your clients on the network via software (dropbox, google drive, one drive or torrents etc) to leave more upload for the other clients on the network to use for communicating with the internet. 

Also - one of your clients might just be having a virus which uses up all your upload, so please scan all your devices for virus and spyware :)

it doesnt matter if the network is connected to internet or not

when you have more than 5+ devices connected to network, those low-end home grade router just can't handle it, consider you are lucky because you actually can still connect to interwebs despite being slow.

I've personally disabled build-in wifi from ISP modem, if this was separated, just stop rent that Access point and better purchase separate AP or Router.

I have enough headache with current N wireless, while it may be outdated by now, but N network is still very common to find because affordable.

on wired, it's all working great and fine

I've ask various people and websites, the only conclusion for my problem is because my hardware age (4 years, 24/7 online)

with your situation yes, connecting your laptop with wired most likely will solve the problem.

Lul wut :D

What if he has DSL, WiMAXX, Fiber or LTE? - what would he use a DOCSIS modem for then? :D

If you connect a switch to your router, you will get the speed of the switch within your switched network.

If your internet connection is the bottleneck, you will not see any improvement by connecting a switch :)

The computers connected via ethernet to the 100/1000 switch, will be able to transfer files between them with a speed of up to 1000mbps, but if you want to transfer a file to or from a wireless client or a computer connected to the router, you will only achieve the speed of that device' capabilities

eu6cOQf.png

Then they have bigger problems if they don't have cable internet.

You don't really see congestion on a adsl, your speed drop will be due to too many devices been used at the same time.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

You don't really see congestion on a adsl, your speed drop will be due to too many devices been used at the same time.

That is true :) Cable is oversold much much more than DSL and will in almost all cases drop in  quality during peak - DSL is often closer to the core network of the ISP and easier to upgrade the backbone.

That is true :) Cable is oversold much much more than DSL and will in almost all cases drop in  quality during peak - DSL is often closer to the core network of the ISP and easier to upgrade the backbone.

ive seen a few of your posts and i like to see a young person who knows a lot about networking, keep it up bud :D

i thought i knew a lot, then i seen your posts and i was like ohh... maybe i dont xD

my knowledge is around the adsl/vdsl part of networking, like all the different types of line errors etc, example FEC (forward error correction) which is not exactly an error but an error fix, it helps to stabilize by correcting data without the need to re-transmit it :P

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

ive seen a few of your posts and i like to see a young person who knows a lot about networking, keep it up bud :D

i thought i knew a lot, then i seen your posts and i was like ohh... maybe i dont xD

my knowledge is around the adsl/vdsl part of networking, like all the different types of line errors etc, example FEC (forward error correction) which is not exactly an error but an error fix, it helps to stabilize by correcting data without the need to re-transmit it :P

I will say that you have some good points in your posts as well and it is awesome to see that someone actually cares about giving decent advice :)

I have worked with DSL for almost 5 years before I advanced in my current job at one of the major ISPs in the world - I am a networking nerd and proud of it :D

yeah, both near-end and farend erros seconds can be a bitch, thank god for interleave and the better modems we are getting, which are able to switch to Annex A from Annex M and back, altho the connection will retrain - which it would have done anyway due to too many errors or bad noise margins ;)

... Sorry to #OP for jacking his thread for positive feedback for my fellow LMG forum advisors :D

I will say that you have some good points in your posts as well and it is awesome to see that someone actually cares about giving decent advice :)

I have worked with DSL for almost 5 years before I advanced in my current job at one of the major ISPs in the world - I am a networking nerd and proud of it :D

yeah, both near-end and farend erros seconds can be a bitch, thank god for interleave and the better modems we are getting, which are able to switch to Annex A from Annex M and back, altho the connection will retrain - which it would have done anyway due to too many errors or bad noise margins ;)

... Sorry to #OP for jacking his thread for positive feedback for my fellow LMG forum advisors :D

i actually tried to get a apprenticeship  as an engineer for bt in the uk, ive had numerous engineers tell me i know more than they do but to get an apprenticeship with bt you "need" 3 a-c grades (maths,english and science) which is pretty stupid since i know more than there own workers do and i have the C in maths but Ds in english and science (blame my teachers for bailing on us)

i actually tried to get a apprenticeship  as an engineer for bt in the uk, ive had numerous engineers tell me i know more than they do but to get an apprenticeship with bt you "need" 3 a-c grades (maths,english and science) which is pretty stupid since i know more than there own workers do and i have the C in maths but Ds in english and science (blame my teachers for bailing on us)

You could take after-hours classes if you really want to do it, you can :) 

Everything is possible if you are passionate enough about it  B)

EDIT: of course there are always some limitations for some jobs, but grades should not be the thing that is holding you back (think I got rid of most trolling / extreme examples with this edit..)