Converting from uncompressed to compressed vs. CD to compressed.

hknutsen

Will converting uncompressed FLAC to compressed FLAC be different from ripping straight to compressed FLAC?

My situation is that I have a lot of albums I ripped from CDs I own a long time ago, but back then I did not know that the compression options for FLAC didn't affect audio quality, so I went with uncompressed. However, as my library of FLAC has built up over the years, I figured I should compress it. Since FLAC is lossless, can I convert my old uncompressed FLACs to compressed (level 8 option) without any loss in quality? It's pretty much like ripping from a CD, right?

Thanks!

MOBO: MSI Z97A Gaming 7 || CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz, 1.25V || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz || GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 3.5GB @ +200MHz Core/+500MHz Memory, +50mV

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB || HDD: 2x HGST 1TB || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

Will converting uncompressed FLAC to compressed FLAC be different from ripping straight to compressed FLAC?

My situation is that I have a lot of albums I ripped from CDs I own a long time ago, but back then I did not know that the compression options for FLAC didn't affect audio quality, so I went with uncompressed. However, as my library of FLAC has built up over the years, I figured I should compress it. Since FLAC is lossless, can I convert my old uncompressed FLACs to compressed (level 8 option) without any loss in quality? It's pretty much like ripping from a CD, right?

Thanks!

Absolutely.

Yeah, you'll be totally fine!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)