Best budget DSLR for making tech reviews that can shoot 1080p 60fps?

lol1290

I have the D3200, don't get the D3300 if video is your primary focus. Go with the T3i, which I've used a number of times. It's much better for video and has a rotating screen which is so amazingly useful.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Would this be a good camera for that? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00HQ4W1QE/smartreview36-20

If you know a cheaper camera, recommendations are welcome.

Get this camera: Sony HDR CX405, it records 1080p @ 60fps

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1109390-REG/sony_hdr_cx405_hd_camcorder.html

Or this one: Panasonic HC V250

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023345-REG/panasonic_hc_v250_full_hd_camcorder.html

This is all you will need for recording tech review videos.

If you plan to go for the DSLR video route... prepare to spend at least double the camera's cost on pimping it up.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Get this camera: Sony HDR CX405, it records 1080p @ 60fps

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1109390-REG/sony_hdr_cx405_hd_camcorder.html

Or this one: Panasonic HC V250

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023345-REG/panasonic_hc_v250_full_hd_camcorder.html

This is all you will need for recording tech review videos.

If you plan to go for the DSLR video route... prepare to spend at least double the camera's cost on pimping it up.

Thx for recommendation, but I'm looking for DSLR cams.

Thx for recommendation, but I'm looking for DSLR cams.

Do you have even the faintest idea of the pros and cons of using a DSLR for video?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I have the D3200, don't get the D3300 if video is your primary focus. Go with the T3i, which I've used a number of times. It's much better for video and has a rotating screen which is so amazingly useful.

This? http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-18-55mm-discontinued-manufacturer/dp/B004J3V90Y

I'm trying to go under the price tag of D3300...

Do you have even the faintest idea of the pros and cons of using a DSLR for video?

A little, not much, that's because I created this thread, to ask some question about DSLRs. As i've seen on youtube, most youtubers recommend a DSLR camera, so that's why I'm asking about it.

A little, not much, that's because I created this thread, to ask some question about DSLRs. As i've seen on youtube, most youtubers recommend a DSLR camera, so that's why I'm asking about it.

And most Youtubers are idiots! 

The biggest reason for getting a DSLR, over a camcorder (like the ones I mentioned) or a higher price model closer to the price of a D3300 or Canon T3i, is the larger sensor creating a more visually appealing look with the shallow depth of field, a visually appealing look in filming movies and other cinematic works of art.

But do you care about shallow depth of field, should you care?  For your tech review videos I hardly think it should matter.

With DSLR videos you need to rig it up, buy good external mics and for better audio you also need external audio recorders/preamps because what comes built in the camera doesn't cut it at all.  This aspect alone is at least an additional $100 to your budget for the audio.

Now the rig, even a simple rig for the camera (like the one in the image below) will cost at least another $100 on ebay.  Not to mention the cost of buying a tripod, external lights, etc.  Also, even if autofocus in a DSLR works in video recording mode, you should avoid it.  Most AF in a DSLR is not optimized for videos, they are optimized for taking photos, their continuous AF tracking capabilities suck compare to what is inside a low cost camcorder.  So for the best results you need to stick to using manual focus, and knowing how to use something like a follow focus (another $50-100 minimum).  And without a good viewfinder or field monitor, manual focusing on a DSLR will be quite tedious, especially for shots where there is lots of movement.

dslr-shoulder-rig.jpg

snip

Well I have to buy a better mic in the first place... so you r sayin that a 100$ handycam is better huh? Well I guess I need to read a bit more about cams before making my choice.

Also, does anyone know any cheap lights on amazon. Those would be really handy...

Well I have to buy a better mic in the first place... so you r sayin that a 100$ handycam is better huh? Well I guess I need to read a bit more about cams before making my choice.

Also, do know any cheap lights on amazon. Those would be really handy...

Its not about what is better or not, it is about what is more suitable.  You can go the DSLR route, but be prepared to do a lot of tedious work and buy extra accessories.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah it should be pretty good :) 

I have the "bigbrother" D5300, and Nikon colors are really nice.

One of the pros for getting a DSLR for video is that you can use it for stills too.

Another is that you can change the lens to match your needs.

Another is that you can get a lot of accessories.

You could also go for the camera that Barnaclues and JayZTwoCents just got :) 

Sony FDR AX33

Im going to say right now that you absolutely do not need 60fps for making YouTube videos. If you choose to go the dslr route, i would go with a canon dslr like the t5i as it offers more for video. You can use a firmware called magic lantern that gives you focus peaking and other great things that are unavailable with other options like the nikon you listed.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Yeah it should be pretty good :)

I have the "bigbrother" D5300, and Nikon colors are really nice.

One of the pros for getting a DSLR for video is that you can use it for stills too.
Another is that you can change the lens to match your needs.
Another is that you can get a lot of accessories.

You could also go for the camera that Barnaclues and JayZTwoCents just got :)
Sony FDR AX33

AX33... 1000$, a little 2 expensive 4 me. But thx for reply! :D

snip

I will take a look at the t5i and other canon dslr's. Thx for replying!

I'd rather have OP spend on a Sony A6000.

thx for recommendation ^_^ , right now I'm looking at Nikon D5300 for 485€ (body only). Is it worth for the given price?

Im going to say right now that you absolutely do not need 60fps for making YouTube videos. If you choose to go the dslr route, i would go with a canon dslr like the t5i as it offers more for video. You can use a firmware called magic lantern that gives you focus peaking and other great things that are unavailable with other options like the nikon you listed.

Btw, I will need 60fps, cause I plan to do some slow-motion vids. Can't really do that with 30fps, can I? (ok, I know I can, but the vid is gonna be s*it) ^_^

Btw, I will need 60fps, cause I plan to do some slow-motion vids. Can't really do that with 30fps, can I? (ok, I know I can, but the vid is gonna be s*it) ^_^

60fps slowed down to 30 or 24 fps is not as slow as you might think. If you want high speed video, you might want to look at somthing like the new sony rx100 mark 4. That camera is a true high speed camera and is capable of recording up to 1000fps.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

60fps slowed down to 30 or 24 fps is not as slow as you might think. If you want high speed video, you might want to look at somthing like the new sony rx100 mark 4. That camera is a true high speed camera and is capable of recording up to 1000fps.

thx for reply, but I'm looking for something more affordable. I'll be happy with a 60fps camera.

You need at least 120fps for good slowmotion, 60 fps slowed down to 24fps is like this, not too slow.

Here is a camera does 240fps at 1090p

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023343-REG/panasonic_hc_v750_full_hd_camcorder.html

thx for recommendation ^_^ , right now I'm looking at Nikon D5300 for 485€ (body only). Is it worth for the given price?

Call me a mirrorless fanboy, but I don't think its worth it. Because of the mirror, the flange distance that each SLR/DSLR has, the size, how a DSLR's shutter mechanism works, and since Sony makes Nikon's sensors (not sure if it is to this day, but I'm pretty sure they still do unless someone can update me on that since I've lost all care for DSLR's), you're better off with a smaller package that pretty much does the same thing but have a much more flexible lens variety (thanks to adapters)

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, since I'm a bit too lazy to read all the comments, but remember all DSLR/Mirrorless camera have a time limit on video usually between 12-30 minutes so it can pass for lower taxing (Europe laws) for production of a camera. So depending what you produce on youtube, or how you like to produce/edit the files camcorder could be better or not matter.

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, since I'm a bit too lazy to read all the comments, but remember all DSLR/Mirrorless camera have a time limit on video usually between 12-30 minutes so it can pass for lower taxing (Europe laws) for production of a camera. So depending what you produce on youtube, or how you like to produce/edit the files camcorder could be better or not matter.

Sorry, but I can't understand what are u saying. :huh: About what kind of taxing are u talking about?

Call me a mirrorless fanboy, but I don't think its worth it. Because of the mirror, the flange distance that each SLR/DSLR has, the size, how a DSLR's shutter mechanism works, and since Sony makes Nikon's sensors (not sure if it is to this day, but I'm pretty sure they still do unless someone can update me on that since I've lost all care for DSLR's), you're better off with a smaller package that pretty much does the same thing but have a much more flexible lens variety (thanks to adapters)

And what do u recommend as a "smaller package"? (Sorry, I might have not understood you, but are u saying I should get a different dslr for more options of choosing different lens (thx to adapters, as you've said??))

EDIT: Btw, I'm a total noob as much as DSLR's goes, so that's why I don't understand everything u say... :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I can't understand what are u saying. :huh: About what kind of taxing are u talking about?

And what do u recommend as a "smaller package"? (Sorry, I might have not understood you, but are u saying I should get a different dslr for more options of choosing different lens (thx to adapters, as you've said??))

EDIT: Btw, I'm a total noob as much as DSLR's goes, so that's why I don't understand everything u say... :rolleyes:

A mirrorless camera doesn't have an optical viewfinder. Basically, a DSLR looks like what the D5300, and when you take the lens/body cap, you see a mirror as if it works like a periscope. Thats a DSLR.

I am saying you should go mirrorless like the A6000 because its smaller. Thats what I mean by a smaller package. 

Basically DSLR=has a mirror and a prism. Mirrorless means there's no mirror and prism.

A mirrorless camera doesn't have an optical viewfinder. Basically, a DSLR looks like what the D5300, and when you take the lens/body cap, you see a mirror as if it works like a periscope. Thats a DSLR.

I am saying you should go mirrorless like the A6000 because its smaller. Thats what I mean by a smaller package. 

Basically DSLR=has a mirror and a prism. Mirrorless means there's no mirror and prism.

ohhhhhh.....ok, ok, now I know what u are talking about... I got a bit confused when u were talking about the "flange distance". :P

Anyway,

- I have no problem with the size of DSLR's (no need of a smaller camera),

- If I'm right, u have much more options of different lens to chose with D5300 (for example), right?

- It doesn't have a flip-out screen, which is extremely usefull

btw, I already have 2 lens from canon (from my old camera) (worth 200-300$), and as I've searched there are only nikon to canon adapters (ok, there are also canon to nikon, but its a bit more complicated). Does that mean if I buy a Nikon DSLR, that I won't be able to use those lens I already have on it?