Colour coolant

Hi guys,

Basically I am doing a water cooled rig (obviously because of title)

I have a beautiful white Fractal R5 and the mother board i'm eventually getting will have hits of gold on it, so ideally I would like a gold coolant, however I cant find a gold coolant, would you be able to recommend me one?

Or if you think there is a better colour other than gold or will go with gold then please let me know and head me in the right direction.

Many thanks :)

Hydra, Executioner of Consoles.

A8-6600K 4.2GHz//MSI A78-G41 PcMate//1x8 Crucial DDR3-1600 CL11//MSI 750Ti Twin Frozr "Baldr" 1375/3300

Gold is pretty hard to replicate without using a sort of metallic effect coolant, which tend to gunk up the loop pretty fast. You could go for a white coolant, maybe with gold fittings? 

EDIT: If you really wanted to look into gold coolant, then Mayhems should have something in their Aurora 2 range. Tends to look more yellow than gold though. 

Tbh I dont mind the Metallic look, and the only reason why I dont really want to go with a white coolant is because the case is white and I wanted somethign to offset the white.

And I tried looking at Mayhems Hydra gold but I just couldn't seem to find it, I looked on a website a while back and found it but at that time iw anted it to be pink and then when I decided against it I couldn't find the gold again :/

A8-6600K 4.2GHz//MSI A78-G41 PcMate//1x8 Crucial DDR3-1600 CL11//MSI 750Ti Twin Frozr "Baldr" 1375/3300

Tbh I dont mind the Metallic look, and the only reason why I dont really want to go with a white coolant is because the case is white and I wanted somethign to offset the white.

And I tried looking at Mayhems Hydra gold but I just couldn't seem to find it, I looked on a website a while back and found it but at that time iw anted it to be pink and then when I decided against it I couldn't find the gold again :/

Welcome to the Forums!

While the Aurora 2 coolants would be a good choice they are show coolants only so they aren't designed to be run as a long term while better than the Aurora 1 in terms of life it's still not the same as say the X-1 or Pastel lineup.

Head over to Mayhem's forum for more information on Aurora 2. My gf wanted some cobalt blue and at first when I asked Mick said the months on the bottle was to cover their backs against clogging in restrictive loops, It can be run for a while apparently in a low restrictive loop but will eventually need blitz part 2 ran through it in order to clean it all out (easiest way). For someone like me cleaning out coolant isn't a big deal, depends on how much time you want to spend maintaining your loop.

Snef made white coolant in a white case work...

PS. Black with gold flecks in it would look great in an ice white case.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

-SNIP-

Metallic fluids would be a great option if they had a long term version sometime say in the future, and that sounds good if your trying to re-color heatsinks on like an Asus board I can definitely say it looks much better all black. If you don't want to permanently color them, plasti-dip or even vinyl wrapping them is possible.

I did it on my Z97-pro board due to the color scheme I was going for:

http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1149/gallery_4038_1149_1166302.jpg

spraying a GPU is one thing, spraying a motherbaord is another and I'm not all too keen on the idea of killing a functional Z97. I'm using a Z97X UD3H from Gigabyte

Yeah I can see how that would work. I will ask her. I like that Idea, any idea on the mtbf for that fluid?

Well I wouldn't spray with the heatsinks in place, taking them off would be a good idea, overall the process isn't very difficult other than a matter or taking them off and putting them on.

If your interested I have a writeup I did on it under Motherboard and RAM painting:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407754-modding-faq-common-mods/

spraying a GPU is one thing, spraying a motherbaord is another and I'm not all too keen on the idea of killing a functional Z97. I'm using a Z97X UD3H from Gigabyte

Yeah I can see how that would work. I will ask her. I like that Idea, any idea on the mtbf for that fluid?

MTFB? What's that? The coolant Snef used is EK pastel white but knowing Mayhems deals with EK it might be their pastel white. People run pastel for a year or so before changing it as the colour change happens gradually and they don't notice due to PH levels in the loop. 

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

i'll gie that a read, I can see how two of the three will come off (held in place by snap pins) but the third is bolted on and from past experience dismantling motherboards (to reveal a fried chipset) there is wierd thermal gunk which doesn't quite come off, nor does it ever sit quite right again. Somewhere between a thermal pad and paste

It's a weird thermal pad, I know what you're talking about as I watercooled my motherboard and had the displeasure of removing that crap myself. I scraped most of it off with a credit card then used acetone to get the last bits.

Snef's build log here

MTBF = Mean Time Between Failure, aka, how long is it going to last before it fucks the loop

So change coolant once a year, sounds fair enough tbh. I'm going to try and build in a drain valve to this loop, but there will unfortunately be parts of the loop under the valve, ah well, flush them out with water until it runs clear I guess. Big tank of distilled.

Coolant won't "fuck" your system, contaminants from rads will due to the flux and debris in them which is why Mayhems sells Blitz kits to help clean everything properly.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

i'll gie that a read, I can see how two of the three will come off (held in place by snap pins) but the third is bolted on and from past experience dismantling motherboards (to reveal a fried chipset) there is wierd thermal gunk which doesn't quite come off, nor does it ever sit quite right again. Somewhere between a thermal pad and paste

When I did work on mine they all use thermal pads on the heatsinks around the CPU and VRM, not too sure about the soutbridge though since I left that one on when I did my modification.

Also for the MTBF the pastel lineup recommends it to be replaced every 12months at most.

When I did work on mine they all use thermal pads on the heatsinks around the CPU and VRM, not too sure about the soutbridge though since I left that one on when I did my modification.

Also for the MTBF the pastel lineup recommends it to be replaced every 12months at most.

Says this on their product page:

• 3 Year in system life span.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

-SNIP-

Yes but in general it's best to replace it every 12 months or so for almost all fluids, and yes it is possible to run it for longer than 12 months.

Yes but in general it's best to replace it every 12 months or so for almost all fluids, and yes it is possible to run it for longer than 12 months.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, as long as steps have been taken to stop algae and contamination it'll be reet, besides, chances are something will be swapped out for another part etc  :lol:

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Head over to Mayhem's forum for more information on Aurora 2. My gf wanted some cobalt blue and at first when I asked Mick said the months on the bottle was to cover their backs against clogging in restrictive loops, It can be run for a while apparently in a low restrictive loop but will eventually need blitz part 2 ran through it in order to clean it all out (easiest way). For someone like me cleaning out coolant isn't a big deal, depends on how much time you want to spend maintaining your loop.

Snef made white coolant in a white case work...

PS. Black with gold flecks in it would look great in an ice white case.

Dont get me wrong that looks beautiful, but he also has a seperate colour in the case so it doesn't look too much, my case is white with a couple of black parts witin it, but i wanted a colour to really make it stand out, also I dont really have the money to be making a Pc look that good

but i'll have a look at the black with gold flecks and see what i think :)

thank you for taking the time and helping :)