Why I cringe everytime someone asks for camera advice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=178&v=v9xVeWzdYDI

...especially when they explain it's for their Youtube channel and do this kind of absurdity (mildly putting it here).  I guess I shouldn't complain, it is due to idiots like him that I get paid to take photos.  May parents keep on giving birth to such fools.

Is this guy a member here?

This is also why I always tell people the manual that comes with your camera is the No.1 book you should read.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

You expect everyone to know how to operate something immediately?
Sure, he should have read the manual first, but it's an unboxing. Most people don't open it before hand (disregard the comment he made about it being already open).

What does this have to do with asking for camera advice?
Nothing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Sure, he should have read the manual first, but it's an unboxing. Most people don't open it before hand (disregard the comment he made about it being already open).

Nothing.

It's called "standards", you'd expect someone who is doing a "tech blog" channel to have some sort of intuitive rudimentary understanding of technology and how it works.

Most product manuals are free for download on the manufacturer's website.  If someone is going to make this kind of video they should do prior research.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Nothing.

Well if you  bought a DSLR for 400$ you should hopfully know some stuff, like why you have a lens cap (like its seems like he dont beacuse he is like "oh what is this thing") And they way he tried to attach the lens, and how he twisted all the things and such before even taking a closer look..like still this thing is worth 400$ and it would be fun if you didn't break it the first thing you do or scratch the lens. Like even if he is a unboxer he should have been able to read this online in like 10 min instead of sitting there and just "trying" stuff

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Well if you  bought a DSLR for 400$ you should hopfully know some stuff, like why you have a lens cap (like its seems like he dont beacuse he is like "oh what is this thing") And they way he tried to attach the lens, and how he twisted all the things and such before even taking a closer look..like still this thing is worth 400$ and it would be fun if you didn't break it the first thing you do or scratch the lens. Like even if he is a unboxer he should have been able to read this online in like 10 min instead of sitting there and just "trying" stuff

Exactly!!!  Even if you are going to do an unboxing video of an unopened product you should do some research online so that you avoid appearing like a fool.

As for camera advice, a lot of people who have never used cameras such as DSLR's go online asking for advice and some end up doing this kind of crap.  Luckily, often they give up after a few failures and then read the manual before they break anything.  After a while you can differentiate between the people who will be careful with their purchases and fools like him by reading between the lines in their questions and comments.

Exactly!!!  Even if you are going to do an unboxing video of an unopened product you should do some research online so that you avoid appearing like a fool.

Yeah like the way he tried to attach the lens.. Like he litterly tried to push it on like if it had push pins...I wonder what photos will be taken with that camere..He would probably been better of with a compact camera. They are more idiot proof and will probably take better pictures than he will with that DSLR honsestly...

Oh and btw you said you was a photographer?, if so do you have any good tips? I just started myself (got a Sony A5000 seemd like a good entry) I take decent pictures but if you have any tips it would be appreiceated

It's called "standards", you'd expect someone who is doing a "tech blog" channel to have some sort of intuitive rudimentary understanding of technology and how it works.

Most product manuals are free for download on the manufacturer's website.  If someone is going to make this kind of video they should do prior research.

Did you see him? He's clearly pretty young and just starting out.

Do you think all of Linus's first videos were flawless? Absolutely not. Quite a few times he didn't even know all the features of what he was reviewing.

He's by no means a professional. You're expecting far too much from something like Youtube. Not everyone is doing it as a career.

He was excited. It was likely his first DSLR. $400 is extremely cheap for a DSLR, so it's not surprising that he'd never handled one before.

Some people like the experience of opening something and exploring it themselves. I know I do. It's more fun that way.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Did you see him? He's clearly pretty young and just starting out.

Do you think all of Linus's first videos were flawless? Absolutely not. Quite a few times he didn't even know all the features of what he was reviewing.

He's by no means a professional. You're expecting far too much from something like Youtube. Not everyone is doing it as a career.

He was excited. It was likely his first DSLR. $400 is extremely cheap for a DSLR, so it's not surprising that he'd never handled one before.

Some people like the experience of opening something and exploring it themselves. I know I do. It's more fun that way.

Well I myself bought a mirrorless just a few weeks ago wich was my first one. (And this argument that he is young he is defenatily older than me) and if you are young you probably don't have much money and should be careful with what you have so you don't break it. And yeah you might be exited with a new toy but even if you are you should take some time to either read or look more closley since he just grabbed the lens and then just tried to push it onto the camera. If he would have looked just a liittle he would have seen that wouldnt work. And all this he could have read online before opening. Or just opend the first page of the manual.

I guess you think we shouldnt be hard on him and I agree you don't always should beacuse you might not know stuff since its your first time. But this dude passed the between begginer with common sense to plain stupid.

Oh and btw you said you was a photographer?, if so do you have any good tips? I just started myself (got a Sony A5000 seemd like a good entry) I take decent pictures but if you have any tips it would be appreiceated

1. Go out and take photos, explore different settings in your camera, play around with different compositions and shutter speeds.

2. You don't have to buy books, but I recommend you either go online or in bookstores/libraries look at some photo art books.  Look at photo books on your favorite genre (landscapes, portraits, boudoir, etc.) or books by your favorite photographers and take inspiration from their works.  Note the comments/stories that accompany their photos.

3. General photographic rules are good to know, but you don't have to follow all of them all the time.  Learn to break the rules.

And feel free to send me a PM on this forum anytime you have questions or comments.