B4UFLY: App That Tells Drone Pilots Where They Are Allowed To Fly

jos
thumb1.jpgthumb5.jpgthumb3.jpgthumb2.pngthumb4.jpg
you can beta test the app by emailing b4ufly@Faa.gov to request an invite.

Key features of the B4UFLY app include:
A clear "status" indicator that immediately informs the operator about their current or planned location. For example, it shows flying in the Special Flight Rules Area around Washington, DC is prohibited
Information on the parameters that drive the status indicator
A "Planner Mode" for future flights in different locations
Informative, interactive maps with filtering options
Links to other FAA UAS resources and regulatory information

The app will let you both plan future flights and check whether there’s any issue with your current location. 

Judging by the screenshots  the app is going to be pretty easy to use. The main purpose of the app is to tell you whether you are too close to an airport, in a national park (where drone flights are now forbidden), or another restricted area to fly your drone (or “unmanned aerial vehicle” or “remote controlled quadcopter” if you don’t like the word “drone”). I think in future all the drones can only be operated with the app restricting use of drones elsewhere.

Not a bad idea...drones are becoming more popular so you can't just let people fly them near airports, or idk...crowded areas.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Nice concept for us enthusiasts, so that we don't get thrown at by rocks :ph34r:

I've just noticed that the tech news and reviews area has been filled with drone news lately

Sounds good to me.

Anything that lets drone hobbyists or professionals easily be more responsible with their activities is cool in my book.

If this could more or less be hardcoded into drones instead of an app for your phone, that then simply blocks them from going into the perimiter of the airport, that'd be great.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

If this could more or less be hardcoded into drones instead of an app for your phone, that then simply blocks them from going into the perimiter of the airport, that'd be great.

It would, but It could also increase the cost of such a drone by making this a "feature". 

But I think common sense and a decent smartphone are things that every drone enthusiast has, so there's no need for a coded drone as of yet.

If they become cheaper and more popular, then it might raise some eyebrows, but it would be still a problem if the coding goes as a marketing feature. It means cheaper drones wouldn't have that, so the app seems more useful.

Drone makers could promote the app though, under the badge of "Fly safely", on the box, in the manual etc.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Looks good.

But isn't there already geofencing for the drones? That's built into the drone software and it's more effective.

It would, but It could also increase the cost of such a drone by making this a "feature". 

But I think common sense and a decent smartphone are things that every drone enthusiast has, so there's no need for a coded drone as of yet.

If they become cheaper and more popular, then it might raise some eyebrows, but it would be still a problem if the coding goes as a marketing feature. It means cheaper drones wouldn't have that, so the app seems more useful.

Drone makers could promote the app though, under the badge of "Fly safely", on the box, in the manual etc.

I don't think so, it would just be a simple firmware modification in my thoughts at least - no additional costs.

The thing is, there is normal stupid and then advanced stupid. People who will "accidently" fly into an airport with a drone is part of the advanced stupid part, and that group will know nothing about the app, and will never bother installing it, hence being advanced stupid. 

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise