Looking for Over-Ear Casual Heaphones for <$300

DR0WN

I'm looking for a pair of over ear headphones for casual listening, i.e on the train or bus, plugged into a Nexus 6. I don't dare go out wearing my Beats Mixrs anymore (got them as a present when they launched, have served me well when mixing), but I'm looking for something very comfortable with capable drivers and minimal sound leakage.

I've been looking at the Sol Republic Master Tracks due to their build quality and style, however for something I'll be using on the every day commute, I'd be willing to spend a bit more.

THE BOTTLENECK:

i3 4130 | 8GB 1333Mhz | Reference R9 290X120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 2x 2TB HDDs

Well it depends, what music do you like to listen to? Also, buying a $300 pair of headphones will be a waste used with a phone. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Audio techncia Ath-M50 : http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1440848518&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=audio+technica+athm50 ,From what I have heard they are FANTASTIC headphones. I have the ath-m30x's and they are great aswell for the price.

I have an i5 and many other things

Audio-Technica is hands down the best stuff for studio-quality headphones.

I personally own the ATH-M40X headphones and love them to death, and people rave about the ATH-M50X.

And you won't need to spend anywhere near $300, I got mine for $140 and I think the M50X is around $200.

Well it depends, what music do you like to listen to? Also, buying a $300 pair of headphones will be a waste used with a phone. 

Bass heavy, chilled electronic music or metal core. How much would you say I should be spending for a set of headphones to be used daily?

Audio techncia Ath-M50 : http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1440848518&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=audio+technica+athm50 ,From what I have heard they are FANTASTIC headphones. I have the ath-m30x's and they are great aswell for the price.

I've borrowed a mate's set of M50s for a week about a month ago. I found the padding very harsh and not particularly comfortable.

THE BOTTLENECK:

i3 4130 | 8GB 1333Mhz | Reference R9 290X120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 2x 2TB HDDs

Bass heavy, chilled electronic music or metal core. How much would you say I should be spending for a set of headphones to be used daily?

I've borrowed a mate's set of M50s for a week about a month ago. I found the padding very harsh and not particularly comfortable.

I've heard about that. But if you look around amazon you can find find cushions for about 10$, And I'm sure there's a video out there on hwo to do it

I have an i5 and many other things

yeah I'd definitely look at a pair of M50/M50Xs. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

How about the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0? Also the first model (not the 2.0) are selling for much lower now. The 2.0 are much more comfortable but they sound similar and have the same build quality. 

Regarding the $300 to be used on a phone, its just typical BS. I use $1000 headphones with my phone when my cable isn't long enough for me to use when I take a nap on a hammock. A phone, even without an external amp, is more than enough.

I personally own the ATH-M40X headphones and love them to death, and people rave about the ATH-M50X.

And you won't need to spend anywhere near $300, I got mine for $140 and I think the M50X is around $200.

The M50's are underwhelming. I honestly do not know why this headphone gets on so many "top 10" or even "top 15" headphones to buy, when there's the Braiwavz HM5 and even its little brother, the M40X, which doesn't have the poorly executed elevated bass.

As for my recommendation, go with the Nad Viso HP50. The TS/Thread Starter has a $300 budget and is looking for headphones that are to his liking.

Random person here...

Regarding the $300 to be used on a phone, its just typical BS. I use $1000 headphones with my phone when my cable isn't long enough for me to use when I take a nap on a hammock. A phone, even without an external amp, is more than enough.

The M50's are underwhelming. I honestly do not know why this headphone gets on so many "top 10" or even "top 15" headphones to buy, when there's the Braiwavz HM5 and even its little brother, the M40X, which doesn't have the poorly executed elevated bass.

As for my recommendation, go with the Nad Viso HP50. The TS/Thread Starter has a $300 budget and is looking for headphones that are to his liking.

It's not about it just plain sounding like crap on a phone, it just wouldn't come close to using the headphones true potential, at all. 

It's not about it just plain sounding like crap on a phone, it just wouldn't come close to using the headphones true potential, at all. 

Its just placebo effect or expectancy bias. Just because its on a phone, does it mean that "it wouldn't come as close to using the headphones true potential"? No. The only thing you won't get is as much power from the volume. And volume does NOT mean more detail the more you crank it up.

If you want to get technical, then okay. I'm just stating from research and experience, here.

Random person here...

Its just placebo effect or expectancy bias. Just because its on a phone, does it mean that "it wouldn't come as close to using the headphones true potential"? No. The only thing you won't get is as much power from the volume. And volume does NOT mean more detail the more you crank it up.

If you want to get technical, then okay. I'm just stating from research and experience, here.

Yeah, more volume means less detail, and higher powered audio controllers allow you to push the sound higher, giving more clarity in low and high level sound. 

Yeah, more volume means less detail, and higher powered audio controllers allow you to push the sound higher, giving more clarity in low and high level sound. 

By high powered audio controller, you mean static amp, right? An amp is supposed to amplify the sound from the source WITHOUT introducing distortion or raising the noise floor. It should not add any coloration AT ALL like "giving it more clarity in low and high level sound" when it means CLEAN sound.

Something like the Fidelio X2, HE-400S, Nad Viso HP50, and even the more expensive HD600 can get away with it because their sensitivity is above 96db. Its high enough that it can get away without the need of an amp. Oh, did I mention that the Fiio X1 or even a Nexus 5 can power the HD600? 

Random person here...

By high powered audio controller, you mean static amp, right? An amp is supposed to amplify the sound from the source WITHOUT introducing distortion or raising the noise floor. It should not add any coloration AT ALL like "giving it more clarity in low and high level sound" when it means CLEAN sound.

Something like the Fidelio X2, HE-400S, Nad Viso HP50, and even the more expensive HD600 can get away with it because their sensitivity is above 96db. Its high enough that it can get away without the need of an amp.

Clarity is a lack of distortion, what?

Anyway I'm kinda tired and bored of arguing. Let's give it a rest alright?

Audio techncia Ath-M50 : From what I have heard they are FANTASTIC headphones. I have the ath-m30x's and they are great aswell for the price.

You've heard wrong. The m50x is over priced and really not that great unless you can get a pair for less than $100 new. They are overhyped. Think beats, but to a slightly lesser extent.

And you won't need to spend anywhere near $300

Audio technica is NOT hands down the best at anything. The benchmark for studio headphones, and the most commonly used in audio production are the Sony mdr v6/7506. They have been the benchmark for years.

When you say "you don't need to spend anywhere near $300", you don't need to spend more than ten dollars on a pair of headphones. $300 is enough to give you a significantly better experience than the audio technica m series does. The m series is over hyped, and you clearly haven't listened to a good pair of headphones that cost more than whatever the different ath m series do. So try to temper your suggestion with that, rather than pretending that it's absolute fact. Also, are you aware that 99% of studios use speakers for their mixing, and only use headphones to check the mix?

Read the above posts to see why that suggestion is not particularly helpful.

Thank you!!!

How about the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0? Also the first model (not the 2.0) are selling for much lower now. The 2.0 are much more comfortable but they sound similar and have the same build quality.

Not a bad suggestion, although I do have a couple of edits:

While the sound signature and sound in general should be pretty much the same, the momentum 2.0 over ear versions have much larger ear cups, so they will be more comfortable for a much larger amount of people. Also, the 2.0 folds, so that may come in handy. That being said, the 1.0 comes with one of the nicest headphone cases ever. (it's nicer than the one with the 2.0, imo)

Also, buying a $300 pair of headphones will be a waste used with a phone.

If you have a halfway decent phone, this is not true at all. Also, if you insist on believing in that, in ears get rid of any reason to not spend $300 on some cans for commuting, etc.

"true potential" what does that even mean? Can you quantify it with anything other than perhaps, "the headphones aren't loud enough"? Honestly, any sensitive headphone will sound just as good on a phone as it will anywhere else, provided the phones hardware doesn't have any issues.

I'd say that you should spend $300 on a pair of daily headphones, if you can afford it. The sound quality will be markedly improved, and I'm sure you'll find that you quote enjoy them. In ears provide the best sound quality for the price, if it's below about $1,000, assuming you'll be using them daily, on the go, etc.

Now, my personal suggestion is the shure se425. Imo, they sound better than the se535, and they're right on your budget. Of course, if you're against in ears for some reason, I can give you other suggestions, but really, the se425 is an amazing headphone. I really liked it for edm when I had it. If you want something with a lot of bass though, look into the RHA t20/t20i. They have some serious bass, and the tuning filters are a cool feature. Plus, injection molded stainless steel is always a cool thing.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Replies in red

Excuse me, did I stutter?

You started off with something thats based off of "general agreement" that didn't have any research or thought in it. If you did your research, maybe you wouldn't have to participate in a losing argument and call it quits.

Random person here...

Clarity is, by definition, a lack of distortion. Clear water allows you to see what is beneath it, despite there being water between you and what's below. Yes, clarity IS a lack of distortion. For something in audio to possess the quality of clarity, it should be presenting the most faithful reproduction to the original recording/mix as possible, no? And how does one come to a faithful reproduction of the original other than providing sound without any form of distortion from the original? I don't know how it could be anything other than a lack of distortion.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Replies in red

No, it's 20 past 11 in Australia and I'm pretty damn tired. What I was trying to say is, there is always some amount of distortion in sound, using an AMP can reduce the already small amount of distortion in quiet music, and at the same time reduce distortion at higher volumes to make it tolerable, giving a better, more precise, clear view of what you're listening to, and it's almost necessary if you're looking at buying a really good pair of headphones. 

Clarity is, by definition, a lack of distortion. Clear water allows you to see what is beneath it, despite there being water between you and what's below. Yes, clarity IS a lack of distortion. For something in audio to possess the quality of clarity, it should be presenting the most faithful reproduction to the original recording/mix as possible, no? And how does one come to a faithful reproduction of the original other than providing sound without any form of distortion from the original? I don't know how it could be anything other than a lack of distortion.

That's what I said, I was trying to tell JPop that. 

No, it's 20 past 11 in Australia and I'm pretty damn tired. What I was trying to say is, there is always some amount of distortion in sound, using an AMP can reduce the already small amount of distortion in quiet music, and at the same time reduce distortion at higher volumes to make it tolerable, giving a better, more precise, clear view of what you're listening to, and it's almost necessary if you're looking at buying a really good pair of headphones.

I agree with the first part, not the second. First of, $300 decidedly nets you a relatively middle of the road pair of headphones. Secondly, as long as you have a decent phone, or motherboard, and you get high enough volume, distortion levels will be low enough that you really don't need to worry about it for a headphone.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Then I apologize and one (or both) of us must be very tired, because that's not what it seemed like to me [emoji14]

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I agree with the first part, not the second. First of, $300 decidedly nets you a relatively middle of the road pair of headphones. Secondly, as long as you have a decent phone, or motherboard, and you get high enough volume, distortion levels will be low enough that you really don't need to worry about it for a headphone.

I have an $80 pair of headphones that almost need an AMP there (I intend to buy one) as I have to put the sound at 90 for it to be loud enough, and my motherboard actually has a really good audio controller. There are no real noticeable distortions, but it definitely isn't as loud as it could be. 

I have an $80 pair of headphones that almost need an AMP there (I intend to buy one) as I have to put the sound at 90 for it to be loud enough, and my motherboard actually has a really good audio controller. There are no real noticeable distortions, but it definitely isn't as loud as it could be.

See, but that all depends on how loud you like to listen. I had a pair of hd650s that I would run off my phone sometimes, and I'd top out at 50%, because that's how quiet I like my music.

Sensitivity matters more than anything for loudness, and sensitivity doesn't have any bearing over price.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

You got into this argument when you were tired, and not thinking it through. Pretty much your fault for getting here. And the thing is, we're already at the era since maybe 2010 that tons of phones have a decently clean output that the distortion is barely noticeable anyways. Here's the impedance ballad which explains the need (or the lack of need) for an amp, which shows that even a Nokia phone from maybe the 90's or pre-2005 era of phones can drive (certain) headphones and sensitivity matters more than impedance. Like what I said, an amp is supposed to raise the volume without introducing distortion or raising the noise floor. But the only good reasons to get an amp are if your source cannot produce the volume you want without introducing distortion or if you have headphones that are under 90db sensitivity. An amp doesn't make anything better, just louder and potentially cleaner, but at the end of the day it gives negligible improvements on clarity if you have a decent source.

Saying it won't reach its full potential because its plugged to something thats not amped is BS.

What the hell are you trying to tell me when you're exhausted and come up with counter-arguments that don't even make real sense?

Random person here...

@op, just read that you're looking for over ear specifically. Honestly, I still stand by my suggestion for in ears, but if you can't stand in ears for whatever reason, I'd suggest whatever the closed back beyerdynamic headphones are in your budget.

Hey! New SIgnature!