1080p monitor with 2715x1527 resolution?

xDanielxOossiex

Hello guys! I bought a 1080p monitor and in every game there's a resolution setting for 2715x1527, even in Windows resolution settings. When I choose this option, everything looks a bit blurry. And when I take a screenshot, it's also at that resolution.

post-195944-0-72751200-1440839954_thumb.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

I want to say this might have happened to me after using DSR for the first time. Except I was messing around with my TV acting as a second monitor and it hurt my brain to see that resolution as an option on a 1080p set.

"Ghost"

Intel i5-4690k 4.6 GHz 1.25v | NZXT Kraken x61 | Asus Z97-AR | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT 2050 MHz

NZXT h440 White | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GS | 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB  |Asus VG248QE  | Win 10

I didn't touch anything in the Nvidia settings, control panel of whatever. I only set the resolution to it.

Now going to watch a video in 1440p. maybe I see a difference.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

why don't you just, change it back to 1080p?

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Don't worry about it; the monitor is correctly recognized as it shows the right resolution as recommended. The new resolution is just supersampling, it won't hurt leaving it be.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Now going to watch a video in 1440p. maybe I see a difference.

It will actually look worse. Check the first link in my signature

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It will actually look worse. Check the first link in my signature

The only thing that might look worse with downsampling would be text. Games and video content will look better downsampled than at native resolution. It's only scaling from a lower resolution to a higher resolution monitor that looks worse than at native resolution.

The only thing that might look worse with downsampling would be text. Games and video content will look better downsampled than at native resolution. It's only scaling from a lower resolution to a higher resolution monitor that looks worse than at native resolution.

As you said, text may look worse - in the same way the rest of the image will be less accurately presented if the downscaling is weird like in this case. This may not be particularly noticeable, but in this case normal anti-aliasing should produce better results.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Check the OSD.

If the OSD reports 1920x1080 then the GPU is using GPU scaling and/or DSR (supersampling).

If the OSD reports that 2715x resolution then the monitor is actually being fed a signal for that resolution and it's NOT being supersampled at all.  Rather the monitor is interpolating it to fit in its physical screen size (the same thing as something like a 1024x768 non GPU scaled signal being fed to 1920x1080 and the 1:1 option (black bars) being selected, but in reverse.

Usually a monitor scaler won't accept resolution data that is higher than the native resolution, although there ARE exceptions.  If you can dump the monitor firmware and find the resolution data that the scaler can accept, there "may" be certain porch/blanking/vertical total values that mght work to allow the higher resolution to be accepted without getting an out of range error.  But that's usually very rare for it to happen.

For example, because the Blur reduction benq Z monitors can accept higher vertical totals (by design), to lower strobe crosstalk, if the vertical total is within the normal range of being able to output a signal (e.g. VT 1500, VT 1350, etc), if a higher resolution than native can use that vertical total, then you might actually get a picture from the scaler (example: 1920x1440 on a 1920x1080 screen) that is **NOT** GPU scaled. 

This won't work on the Asus VG248QE.

As you said, text may look worse - in the same way the rest of the image will be less accurately presented if the downscaling is weird like in this case. This may not be particularly noticeable, but in this case normal anti-aliasing should produce better results.

All forms of anti-aliasing are "less accurate" in this way if you're changing the image from its original form. Text depends on very precisely defined shapes to be recognizeable, it's different from other parts of an image.

Downsampling is a normal form of anti-aliasing, it's the original form and recognized as the best-looking one, SSAA. It's just extremely inefficient.