SW:KOTOR crashing and missing options

Vozella

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

I rememeber playing this game a long time ago. I don't know how I ran it back then because I'm having so many problems now.

First of all, when the game runs, it doesn't do anything when I click.

Before that happened, I couldn't change the resolution without the game crashing. 

Also, my friend is also playing this game and he has settings that I either don't have or it doesn't let me click.

It only lets me have either 4X AA or off even though it says there are more avaliable on the side.

It displays Soft Shadows, but it doesn't let me click it.

The only way is to use virtual machine or install win xp in dual boot (or onto another drive).

Try running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP sp1. I have had similar issues with it, it's just not programmed to run on modern hardware or software.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

oh dear god

I'm guessing Windows 7 then. It's probably broken there or something?

I don't know what you mean by broken. I have a legit Windows 8.1 if that's what you're asking.

Try running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP sp1. I have had similar issues with it, it's just not programmed to run on modern hardware or software.

I didn't know you could do that. I'll look it up.

I don't know what you mean by broken. I have a legit Windows 8.1 if that's what you're asking.

Oh, Windows 8.1

Meh, I might have to see if it'll work on my shitbox 552

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Right click the game executable, go to properties, and select compatibility. Then select run in compatibility mode, and in the drop down select "windows XP SP1"

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Right click the game executable, go to properties, and select compatibility. Then select run in compatibility mode, and in the drop down select "windows XP SP1"

I only have SP2 and SP3. Not SP1. 

I only have SP2 and SP3. Not SP1. 

Then use either of those. Any XP sp will help the game run more stably.

Then use either of those. Any XP sp will help the game run more stably.

Okay. I tried every version the list had and none of it work. 

I reinstalled it and now it crashes after the three first short clips it shows before the menu.

Please help. I just want to play Kotor.

Okay. I tried every version the list had and none of it work. 

I reinstalled it and now it crashes after the three first short clips it shows before the menu.

Please help. I just want to play Kotor.

Interesting, I had a very similar issue trying to run it on W7 where it would crash just after reaching the title screen. Simply changing to the comp mode and spamming esc to skip the opening cutscenes for the companies was enough to fix it though.

Besides trying that, I really don't know >.>

Interesting, I had a very similar issue trying to run it on W7 where it would crash just after reaching the title screen. Simply changing to the comp mode and spamming esc to skip the opening cutscenes for the companies was enough to fix it though.

Besides trying that, I really don't know >.>

I think I'll do a clean install of Windows. That's all I have left to do.

Try disabling the videos. It used to crash the game for me. Either that or try an emulator if nothing else works.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Try disabling the videos. It used to crash the game for me. Either that or try an emulator if nothing else works.

I disabled the videos by renaming them, but all that did was go straight in to crashing. It might have something to do with the menu.

Do you know any emulators for Windows XP?

I disable the videos in the options. You havea tickbox there for videos. As for emulators, never needed to use one so idk... Google it? You could try a virtual machine i guess.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.