Different types of ethernet cables?

Samer_hammer

I keep seeing cat5 cat6 and cat7 ethernet cables, whats the difference and which one should i get for my newly built gaming pc?

Insulation. cat 5e is good enough for you

Speed- distance rating. Check that linus did a techquickie over it

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Insulation. cat 5e is good enough for you

Im running 120 foot ethernet cable are you sure?

Juanse mhh im running my ethernet cable 120 feet from my router should i get cat6?

If it's only like a bit more money go for CAT 6 it has better shielding and slightly thicker insulation making the cable a bit more durable, but CAt 5e does the same thing with no difference in speeds.

Juanse mhh im running my ethernet cable 120 feet from my router should i get cat6

120 Feet daaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm

cat 6 

Juanse mhh im running my ethernet cable 120 feet from my router should i get cat6

those are 36,5m, technicaly cat5e is capable of 55m at 10gb/s. But you can also play it safe and go cat6 at a higher cost of course

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Actually cat5 is good for up to 328ft, you would use cat6 for distances up and over 2000ft. cat5 can produce a GB network up to 328ft. That is industry standard. Generally you would stop at about 300 to 325, in a commercial install I have always stopped at about 320 and then tested the cable before making the ends.

I keep seeing cat5 cat6 and cat7 ethernet cables, whats the difference and which one should i get for my newly built gaming pc?

cat6 for sure