Got new fast internet, but steam download speed crazy inconsistent?

slayerming2

Hello

So I just got the comcast blast deal, 150mbps, and got a new router and modem for it as well. Speeds seem pretty high.

But when I tried downloading a game on steam http://i.imgur.com/NpM47Hc.png   It went from downloading at 15.0 MB/S to 0.... I was kind of expecting a consistent speed, especially since I'm the only one using it currently. Granted I'm not exactly sure what disk usage actually is? And it moved around a lot too. 15.0 MB/S, although high, wasn't as fast as I expected. Anyone know of a fix??

Thanks

edit: Tried with ethernet, got same results. Also tried on origin, speed was a bit slower, but completely consistent speeds and no large drops at all. So steam is the problem? And if so, is there a fix??

You using wireless or ethernet?

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Bear in mind 132mbps is 16.5MB/s, so it's pretty close to your max speed. Have you tried using a hardwire to see what the speeds are like? It should be more consistent, at least. 

You using wireless or ethernet?

For the example above it was wireless, but I tested it out with ethernet. Same problem happenend. I was actually shocked how it instantly went from 15 to 0. Or 10 to 0. Previously it was like 10 to 9 to 8 to lower and lower. It was never instant. 

Steam caps downloads speeds, I have 25/5mb and get around 2-5mb on steam

Bear in mind 132mbps is 16.5MB/s, so it's pretty close to your max speed. Have you tried using a hardwire to see what the speeds are like? It should be more consistent, at least. 

Ahh okay thanks for explaining that! What do you mean hardwire? I tried it with ethernet, and got the same results.

Ahh okay thanks for explaining that! What do you mean hardwire? I tried it with ethernet, and got the same results.

Hardwire is using an ethernet cable to connect directly to the router. 

If you got the same results with that, then that is your speed. It may be good to try a large download from another site, just to see if it's a cap on Steam, rather than your speed. Either way, it's uncommon to get a download to completely max your speed.

For the example above it was wireless, but I tested it out with ethernet. Same problem happenend. I was actually shocked how it instantly went from 15 to 0. Or 10 to 0. Previously it was like 10 to 9 to 8 to lower and lower. It was never instant. 

try it with other programs? maybe its steams fault

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hardwire is using an ethernet cable to connect directly to the router. 

If you got the same results with that, then that is your speed. It may be good to try a large download from another site, just to see if it's a cap on Steam, rather than your speed. Either way, it's uncommon to get a download to completely max your speed.

Yeah speed is honestly fine, I use to not be able to get 1 mbs. So I'm not complaining at all. I just don't know why the speed is so inconsistent, and goes from 15 to 0?? Any ideas?

try it with other programs? maybe its steams fault

Tried downloading a game on origin. Seemed a bit slower, but consistent, so how do I fix the problem on steam?

/\

pls  people learn your units.

nice ip btw

/\

pls  people learn your units.

nice ip btw

Uhh thanks? Not sure if my IP address was good? 

Uhh thanks? Not sure if my IP address was good? 

nxt time i would hide it before posting it on the internet :)

nxt time i would hide it before posting it on the internet :)

Just curious why? Should I remove it now??

Steam caps downloads speeds, I have 25/5mb and get around 2-5mb on steam

Uh no, Steam doesn't cap download speeds. You have 25 megaBITS for your speed you pay, that converts to ~3 megaBYTES. You're getting your full speed. Every 8 BITS=1 BYTE.

For exmaple, I have AT&T U-Verse, I pay for 75Mb down and 6Mb up, when I download off of Steam I usually get 9MB-10MB depending on time of day. 75/8=~9.4, so my ISP is allowing some bursting of speed since there isn't congestion/high usage in my area.

You can also use Google and search for "megabit to megabyte" and there should be a calculator converter that pops up where you can input your megabit speed and it'll convert it megabytes for you. Or just use X divided by Y = Z, where X is your megabit connection, Y is 8, and Z is your result. You can also convert megabytes to megabits if you multiply megabytes by 8 and you'll get your speed in megabits.

can't you also change servers on steam to get one closer to you

ive heard that can help some people alot

Uh no, Steam doesn't cap download speeds. You have 25 megaBITS for your speed you pay, that converts to ~3 megaBYTES. You're getting your full speed. Every 8 BITS=1 BYTE.

For exmaple, I have AT&T U-Verse, I pay for 75Mb down and 6Mb up, when I download off of Steam I usually get 9MB-10MB depending on time of day. 75/8=~9.4, so my ISP is allowing some bursting of speed since there isn't congestion/high usage in my area.

You can also use Google and search for "megabit to megabyte" and there should be a calculator converter that pops up where you can input your megabit speed and it'll convert it megabytes for you. Or just use X divided by Y = Z, where X is your megabit connection, Y is 8, and Z is your result. You can also convert megabytes to megabits if you multiply megabytes by 8 and you'll get your speed in megabits.

Honestly don't care that much for speed at this point. Looking for consistentancy. Any idea why my download speeds goes from 15 to 0 and than slowly back up?

can't you also change servers on steam to get one closer to you

ive heard that can help some people alot

Do you think that will make it more consistent? 

try it

uhh I actually have no idea how to do it. Wana explain or provide a link please?

Honestly don't care that much for speed at this point. Looking for consistentancy. Any idea why my download speeds goes from 15 to 0 and than slowly back up?

It could anything from your machine to your router/modem, your ISP, or even Steam's servers uploading to you.

Do you think that will make it more consistent? 

It's possible, I'm closer to the LA server in Southern California, but I like downloading from the San Diego server because it feels more stable and less congested.

uhh I actually have no idea how to do it. Wana explain or provide a link please?

Go to your Steam client, in the top left click on "Steam", then "Settings" and then go to the "Downloads" section in the new window. Then there should be a "Download Region" area with a drop down menu where you can choose from any server from Steam.

It could anything from your machine to your router/modem, your ISP, or even Steam's servers uploading to you.

It's possible, I'm closer to the LA server in Southern California, but I like downloading from the San Diego server because it feels more stable and less congested.

Go to your Steam client, in the top left click on "Steam", then "Settings" and then go to the "Downloads" section in the new window. Then there should be a "Download Region" area with a drop down menu where you can choose from any server from Steam.

I feel like it's probably steam, since I tried the same with origin, and although it was a bit slower. It seems to be perfectly consistent. Okay I'll try that.

Well, I got a 50/5 Mbit line where I live and my record speed on steam is 5,7MB/sec (quite consistent too) out of 6,25MB/sec maximum. How long do you download for at 15MB/sec? Does it drop to 0 in a second or so?

CPU: Intel i7 12700KF; M/B: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A D4; RAM: DDR4 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz/C16; GPU: Gigabyte RTX4090 Gaming OC 24GB; Monitor: Asus PG348Q 34" ultrawide 1440p; Storage: 1x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB, 1x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 1x Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 1x WD Green 6TB; Optical: Asus Blu-Ray recorder; PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1200W; Case: BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900; Sound: Sound Blaster Z; Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumKeyboard: Corsair K95 RGB; Internet: FTTH 100Mbps; OS: Windows 11 Pro.

Well, I got a 50/5 Mbit line where I live and my record speed on steam is 5,7MB/sec (quite consistent too) out of 6,25MB/sec maximum. How long do you download for at 15MB/sec? Does it drop to 0 in a second or so?

Yeah it kinda does drop to 0 in a second... And than it takes quite a while to go slowly back up.