[UPDATE - Will Not Sell Outside China] AMD Quietly Launches 370X

HKZeroFive

PCWorld: The new Radeon R9 370X appears based around the same graphics processor as the older Radeon R9 270X, packing the same 1,280 stream processors, 80 TMUs, 32 ROPs, and either 2GB or 4GB of memory with a 256-bit bus. TechPowerUp was the first to report on the launch, spotting a Sapphire Vapor-X variant overclocked to 1,200MHz. (Pictured above courtesy of TechPowerUp.)

When I reached out to AMD to confirm the launch, it confirmed that the specs that TechPowerUp reported for the card are accurate. A representative’s comment also revealed why the launch was so low-key: “The R9 370X is regionalized product which is today limited to the China market,” she said.

post-237505-0-08872900-1440810936.jpg

AnandTech: As for the R9 370X itself, the SKU is the refresh successor to the R9 270X. This means we’re looking at a fully-enabled Pitcairn GPU with all 1280 stream processors enabled. This marks the fourth such desktop SKU for the full Pitcairn configuration, following the original Radeon HD 7870 and the R9 270 & 270X, both of the latter being fully enabled parts.

At this time we don’t have official AMD specifications for the R9 370X SKU (nor do we expect to get them). Furthermore based on information released by TechPowerUp, the first card released is a factory overclocked Sapphire model, so we have limited information available on clockspeeds. However based on the 5.6Gbps memory speed, it would appear that this is closer to a straight re-badge than was the case with the release of the 200 series, as AMD reworked their board designs to improve memory clockspeeds for that refresh.

This card, from what I've read, is a straight up rebadge with a few tweaks. Expect it to perform marginally better than its 270X predecessor with DX12 and Freesync support (along with the newer technologies that the 270X doesn't support), but still remains to have GCN 1.0. This aims to be the competitor to the new GTX 950, so they need to price this well. If they do, I expect them to sell reasonably well in a country like China, given the economics, pricing and the popularity of the F2P market.

On a side note: Yes, it's a rebadge. Stop complaining about it, I've already heard enough.

PCWorld: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2976945/components-graphics/amd-quietly-launches-new-radeon-r9-370x-graphics-card-but-not-in-the-usyet.html

AnandTech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9571/amd-quietly-releases-radeon-r9-370x-chinaonly-for-now

UPDATE

https://www.twitter.com/Thracks/status/636958891989798912

Robert Hallock of AMD has stated that the 370X will not launch outside of China.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

At this point, AMD is just standing on the edge of the grave nvidia has dug for them

Stuff like this isn't going to turn them around and move them away

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

If only that sexy cooler was on a better card  -_-

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Go home, your drunk

You must be drunk because that use of 'your' is completely wrong!

Kappa

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

At this point, AMD is just standing on the edge of the grave nvidia has dug for them

Stuff like this isn't going to turn them around and move them away

For China it might.

However using obsolete architecture is not good. Full Freesync and DX12 support should be mandatory on all AMD products.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

For China it might.

However using obsolete architecture is not good. Full Freesync and DX12 support should be mandatory on all AMD products.

yeah, this is based on the 200 series, and they are based on the 7000 series.

All in all, AMD hasnt made a worthwhile new thing since 2012

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Go home, yore drunk

fixed

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

yeah, this is based on the 200 series, and they are based on the 7000 series.

All in all, AMD hasnt made a worthwhile new thing since 2012

Fury series of cards and the 285 are quite impressive honestly. And looking at DX12, they are much better than their nvidia equals.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

You must be drunk because that use of 'your' is completely wrong!

Kappa

grammmer goes out the window when it's 3 AM in the morning and im out of Pringles!

Fury series of cards and the 285 are quite impressive honestly. And looking at DX12, they are much better than their nvidia equals.

Yeah i guess.

I mean, i like AMD, and plan to get my next GPU from them, possibly CPU (zen?????)

But other than a few new products, many of them are old.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

grammmer goes out the window when it's 3 AM in the morning and im out of Pringles!

True...so true

Perhaps a workout can fix it?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Yeah i guess.

I mean, i like AMD, and plan to get my next GPU from them, possibly CPU (zen?????)

Indeed, but they still hold up value, which is the most important. But we will see entirely new lines of cards next year from AMD (3 confirmed so far), probably because they all go 14/16nm FF, so that's cool. 2016 will on all acounts be an amazing year for PC gamers and hardware enthusiasts (ZEN might launch, 14/16nm FF cards from AMD and NVidia, DDR4 for AMD systems, VR headsets, lots of DX12 games and so on. Can't wait).

I wish they would release the r9 380x because that would be the only chip that we havent see before. it would most likely use a tonga XT chip which is differnet then the r9 280x Tahiti XT.

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

For China it might.

I like how AMD made the world smallest Mini-ITX card and didn't put HDMI 2.0 on it... yeah AMD is going full retard now.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Nvidia dug for them? What about Intel? Seems to me a succession of awful decisions and terrible marketing has led to AMD being where they are now, not Nvidia doing well.

Source? The only Directx 12 benchmark that exists has shown Nvidia and AMD performing equally. If you don't bother to look at the numbers you can be fooled into thinking AMD does better due to AMD's Directx 11 performance being nothing short of appalling meaning the difference between Dx 11 and Dx 12 is bigger for AMD than Nvidia. 

The 285/380 is no more impressive than the 960. Neither is as good as the 280X which what those cards should have at least rivalled.

Still. At least the 370X is equal in every way to the 270X, and not a downgrade like the 370 was from its last gen counterpart.

Yeah i guess.

It used to be that a gpu architecture lasted at most two cycles per process node. AMD planned 28nm in the same way, and then it overstayed its welcome. I'll bet my ass there's a lot of products that got axed due to skipping 20nm, and I'll bet Fiji and Tonga were two of four chips for a release planned on 20nm. Then when 20nm fell through, development resources had to be shunted around to make the planned chips work on 28nm (I bet HBM was an absolute must to make Fiji work) and Nvidia isn't immune to this either. Maxwell probably was slated for 20nm, and they adapted their chips by cutting Doyle precision performance as opposed to adopting new memory tech.

(That was all speculation. @patrickjp93 - does all that seem feasible?)

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Blah blah blah.

there was a little person inside/a side of me that cheered on for AMD, put in a bad position, maybe AMD could do something that would capture the imagination, do something even if not groundbreaking, just be at least interesting.

that person now resembles what the pizza you ate 7-9 months ago would look like today.

If it wouldn't cause a monopoly, ....i hate to say it but more of this and if zen is a dissapointment, then i'd be happy to see AMD not just fall into their grave but crash and burn into it.

I'm wondering why the heck haven't they rebadged the R9 280 (7950)

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Blah blah blah.

there was a little person inside/a side of me that cheered on for AMD, put in a bad position, maybe AMD could do something that would capture the imagination, do something even if not groundbreaking, just be at least interesting.

that person now resembles what the pizza you ate 7-9 months ago would look like today.

If it wouldn't cause a monopoly, ....i hate to say it but more of this and if zen is a dissapointment, then i'd be happy to see AMD not just fall into their grave but crash and burn into it.

I'm wondering why the heck haven't they rebadged the R9 280 (7950)

they did with the 380

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I like how AMD made the world smallest Mini-ITX card and didn't put HDMI 2.0 on it... yeah AMD is going full retard now.

A lot of people are let down by that and I get that. It seems like a really dumb decision. I don't know why they made it, I just know that HDCP 2.2 is a steaming pile of donkey manure. Really wish the vastly superior DisplayPort became an industry standard, like right now.

Source? The only Directx 12 benchmark that exists has shown Nvidia and AMD performing equally. If you don't bother to look at the numbers you can be fooled into thinking AMD does better due to AMD's Directx 11 performance being nothing short of appalling meaning the difference between Dx 11 and Dx 12 is bigger for AMD than Nvidia. 

The 285/380 is no more impressive than the 960. Neither is as good as the 280X which what those cards should have at least rivalled.

Still. At least the 370X is equal in every way to the 270X, and not a downgrade like the 370 was from its last gen counterpart.

You forget that those AMD cards equalling the nvidia cards are cheaper, and thus not direct competitors. Sure the best that AMD can make was just marginally better than the best NVidia can make, but the latter is quite a bit more expensive. I'm comparing DX12 to DX12 here, not DX11.

285 had better tessellation performance and used less electricity, which means less heat. It also had all the new technologies fully supported, but yes it was never the fastest card out there.

they did with the 380

But isn't the 380 a redone 285?

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD