Help to make a bootable usb for Windows 10

I recently changed the HDD on my brother's laptop because it broke and wasn't being read. However, I don't have a copy of windows to install onto the new WD hard drive. With Windows 10 being free, I thought that it could be possible to create a bootable usb drive. I've seen a couple of guides on how to make a bootable usb drive on mac but to no avail. You guys have any thoughts on how I can make one on either mac or windows 7? 

I recently changed the HDD on my brother's laptop because it broke and wasn't being read. However, I don't have a copy of windows to install onto the new WD hard drive. With Windows 10 being free, I thought that it could be possible to create a bootable usb drive. I've seen a couple of guides on how to make a bootable usb drive on mac but to no avail. You guys have any thoughts on how I can make one on either mac or windows 7? 

rufus supports win7 and 8, linux, mac, etc

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

download which version you need and save it to a usb drive... very easy

edit: not the exe file, you need to run that and then it will ask you which you want to create, save the outgoing to usb drive and youre good to go

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

You will need serial number for that Microsoft tool make sure you have it on hand... not sure if the Windows 7/8 will do...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

download which version you need and save it to a usb drive... very easy

edit: not the exe file, you need to run that and then it will ask you which you want to create, save the outgoing to usb drive and youre good to go

Okay I have it downloaded but how can I run it on my mac?

You will need serial number for that Microsoft tool make sure you have it on hand... not sure if the Windows 7/8 will do...

Any idea on how I can get one?

Okay I have it downloaded but how can I run it on my mac?

dont know about macs unfortunately ... you said you could run it on a win 7 machine so i would do that since its an exe file

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

dont know about macs unfortunately ... you said you could run it on a win 7 machine so i would do that since its an exe file

okay sounds good :) I'll try it out right now (Worried about the serial number thought)

well you need to have a win 10 key, if you dont have one you wont be able to install it you can get one here https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

but if you have a win 7 key you can install that using your win 7 key then use the usb drive you created to upgrade it to win 10 for free but either way you need to have a windows 7/8/10 key

well you need to have a win 10 key, if you dont have one you wont be able to install it you can get one here https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

but if you have a win 7 key you can install that using your win 7 key then use the usb drive you created to upgrade it to win 10 for free but either way you need to have a windows 7/8/10 key

It lets me download the tool only. SO i tried it but my computer isn't letting me run it. When trying to open it it says to restart the computer which I've done 3 times already to no avail. Rufus isn't reading my USB either so...

I also tried to download the iso onto the mac and then transfer it over but it only lets me burn it onto a dvd drive