Overheating MSI R9 290 Twin Frozr

Mattieboi1

Hey there guys,

So I knew these cards ran hot but this is crazy, my card seems to be running at 94C while fans are at 100% during witcher 3 and battlefield 4 as well :/ It is also sitting at idle at 60C?

The clocks are all stock, the core is at 1007 in OC mode but can never stay there so it throttles down.

So I've underclocked it to 950Mhz but it still drops to about 850MHz while at 100% fan speed and still at 94C?? 

I have only noticed this recently however it may have always been like this, noise cancelling headphones sure do work. SO this may have been like this from day 1 but I did not know because i never monitored my in game temps :/

Attached is a photo, sorry for potato quality.

So broken or what? Like the case has not been moved, there's no dust, its probably 25 in the room and this is all with the side cover off.

Specs.

Intel i5 4670k.

MSI H97 Gaming 3.

Antec TP 650W.

MSI R9 290 Gaming.

8GB Crucial Tactical Tracer RAM

Noctua NH 12S.

NZXT H440.

Windows 10.

Latest drivers for AMD 15.7.1.

post-115290-0-97457800-1440806473_thumb.

Edited by Mattieboi1

Photo?

Anyways, open your case and see if there is a difference.

YOur gpu is rated for up to 95 degrees celcius, so you could be fine

What case do you have?

Sounds like you might need to RMA because 94c at 100% fan speed WHILE throttling is an issue..

I have the H440 but the front is off, the dust filter is off, the side panel is off, there is plenty of airflow so not sure. But yeah its crazy, the only issue is to try do that here in South Africa is apparently almost impossible, they don't have any local offices in africa at all apparently. I'm taking it back to where I bought it on Monday.

Photo?

Anyways, open your case and see if there is a difference.

YOur gpu is rated for up to 95 degrees celcius, so you could be fine

Picture is up now, sorry don't know how it didn't get included there. The only issue is yeah its at 94C but its throttling down to as seen in the photo :/ 

I have the H440 but the front is off, the dust filter is off, the side panel is off, there is plenty of airflow so not sure. But yeah its crazy, the only issue is to try do that here in South Africa is apparently almost impossible, they don't have any local offices in africa at all apparently. I'm taking it back to where I bought it on Monday.

Demand a refund or replacement from where it is because that is definitely a hardware issue

Demand a refund or replacement from where it is because that is definitely a hardware issue

Yeah look I'm taking it to them on Monday but they only have a 1 year warranty on the parts they have they say, doesn't like MSI usually have a international warranty time period? They will obviously try not to but I'll try my best. I've always wondered why I was never getting the same FPS in games as others with the exact same card :/

Well if warranty doesnt work try re-applying thermal paste on the GPU...

Well if warranty doesnt work try re-applying thermal paste on the GPU...

I was actually thinking about that, apparently some people had issues with the heatsink not being attached properly as well so if all else fails i guess that is my last option, or watercool it which I have been wanting to do :D

I was actually thinking about that, apparently some people had issues with the heatsink not being attached properly as well so if all else fails i guess that is my last option, or watercool it which I have been wanting to do :D

**You may void your warranty**

**You may void your warranty**

Yeah I know but if they screw me around and dont help then ill just bite the bullet and see if thermal paste replacement works, if it does then cool and then I might watercool, if not it may be a dud :/