Fan Placement Define r5

bnjmnhns

Hey guys,

So i been wondering whats the optimal way to set up my fans in my fractal design r5.

I have 2 corsair AF120 quiet edition and the 2 stock fans from fractal design, How shuold i place them?

Stock ones as exhaust and the AF as intakes from the front?

or maybe the other way around maybe out one of each at the front and one of each at the back?

any help is apreciated, thanks.

*edit: nh-d15 cpu cooler and 980 ti strix for gpu

CPU: i7 4790k, GPU: ASUS Strix 980 ti, Motherboard: z97x-UD5H-BK , RAM: 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133 Mhz, CPU Cooler: NH-D15, PSU: EVGA GS 850w 80+ Gold, Case: Fractal Design R5, Storage: Samsung 850 evo 250gb and WD black 1tb, Peripherals: Deathadder 2013 and G710+, Monitor: LG 29UM67.

i feel like the stock fans fit very nicely in the front.

i'd suggest sticking one of the corsairs in the bottom, blowing up at the graphics cards.

and the other one as rear exhaust.

i feel like the stock fans fit very nicely in the front.

i'd suggest sticking one of the corsairs in the bottom, blowing up at the graphics cards.

and the other one as rear exhaust.

ok that sounds good is it better to have just one exhaust? because i was thinking puting one exhaust at the top and the rear but maybe your suggesiton makes more sense...

CPU: i7 4790k, GPU: ASUS Strix 980 ti, Motherboard: z97x-UD5H-BK , RAM: 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133 Mhz, CPU Cooler: NH-D15, PSU: EVGA GS 850w 80+ Gold, Case: Fractal Design R5, Storage: Samsung 850 evo 250gb and WD black 1tb, Peripherals: Deathadder 2013 and G710+, Monitor: LG 29UM67.

Full specs? Without knowing exactly what drive cages you'll need, what CPU and GPU you have, and which coolers they're using we can say a lot of things that only may or may not work for you.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Full specs? Without knowing exactly what drive cages you'll need, what CPU and GPU you have, and which coolers they're using we can say a lot of things that only may or may not work for you.

Nh-d15 cooling a 4790k and a 980 ti strix, both the processor haven't arrived yet so im just here sitting with my case empty lol

Nh-d15 cooling a 4790k and a 980 ti strix, both the processor haven't arrived yet so im just here sitting with my case empty lol

How many HDD's? And which PSU? (To know which, if any HDD cages need to be in, and how long the PSU is.)

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

How many HDD's? And which PSU? (To know which, if any HDD cages need to be in, and how long the PSU is.)

1 wd black and samsung 850 evo ssd and 850w evga psu

1 wd black and samsung 850 evo ssd and 850w evga psu

B2, G2 or GS? Or one of the less desirable options? 140-160 (GS) should let you put a 140 in the bottom, 180 (G2 and B2) should let you put a 120.

The WD Black could go into a 5.25" bay, though that will generally require an adapter purchase. Though with only 1 HDD, why didn't you buy a Define S?

So options:

Option 1 - http://i.imgur.com/41o9VxK.jpg

Option 2+2.5 - http://i.imgur.com/1sDWC6H.jpg (Best picture I found, ignore the AIO and imagine a rear exhaust fan. Also you could open up a little more airflow by just using the 5.25" bay for your WD Black.)

There are other options, but these two are the most worth mentioning.

ok that sounds good is it better to have just one exhaust? because i was thinking puting one exhaust at the top and the rear but maybe your suggesiton makes more sense...

my idea with the one exhaust is that the R5's back is mostly mesh, so any positive air pressure will just find its way out.

the exhaust fan is more so for providing an airflow path, than for outputting air.

--

i've had this exact setup i mentioned for a while, but two of my fans were horribbly noisy compared to the rest (a pair of yate loons i got for free)

currently i just have 2 front intakes, and they do a surprisingly good job at keeping everything cool.

every fan in my system is either at minimum or turned off, and my 4790K is running 45°c under slight load. (this goes down to the low 30s if i ramp up the fans)

B2, G2 or GS? Or one of the less desirable options? 140-160 (GS) should let you put a 140 in the bottom, 180 (G2 and B2) should let you put a 120.

The WD Black could go into a 5.25" bay, though that will generally require an adapter purchase. Though with only 1 HDD, why didn't you buy a Define S?

So options:

Option 1 - http://i.imgur.com/41o9VxK.jpg

Option 2+2.5 - http://i.imgur.com/1sDWC6H.jpg (Best picture I found, ignore the AIO and imagine a rear exhaust fan. Also you could open up a little more airflow by just using the 5.25" bay for your WD Black.)

There are other options, but these two are the most worth mentioning.

i have the gs so i gues i will go with option one thanks and i liked the define r5 more just personal preference