Safe way of completely wiping a HDD. With no harm to drive

Orbis_Domitor
Go to solution Solved by Syntaxvgm,

Formatting it, but not a quick format. A proper format writes all zeros, a quick just deletes file system data.

To go further, and prevent the possibility of forensic tools recovering it, us Dban to write random data on it, the more passes the more secure.

Both solutions make the drive do a lot of writing, dban being more stressful to the drive with a lot of passes.

So.

I want to buy a bunch of old HDD's off some people i know (and some i don't).

Is there a method of completely destroying the data on a HDD (with no hope of recovery) without affecting the drive itself.

ie. magnets?

This is just a reassurance to the people, that i DO NOT want there personal info. which i don't.....

And my own.(i don't want to be caught with illegal material)

All thoughts appreciated

Orbis

Format. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Use DBAN or format the drive manually with windows.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Formatting it, but not a quick format. A proper format writes all zeros, a quick just deletes file system data.

To go further, and prevent the possibility of forensic tools recovering it, us Dban to write random data on it, the more passes the more secure.

Both solutions make the drive do a lot of writing, dban being more stressful to the drive with a lot of passes.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

i believe CCleaner allows you to do 32 passes over a hard drive to destroy all data.

Get CCleaner and do a heavy 35-pass overwrite on the drive, it'll basically zero-out the drive so that it's filled with 0s all the way through. Then reformat the drive and use to your heart's content.

Using the Windows quick format will be fine. You can also use cleaner.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

So.

Is there a method of completely destroying the data on a HDD (with no hope of recovery) without affecting the drive itself.

ie. magnets?

This is just a reassurance to the people, that i DO NOT want there personal info. which i don't.....

All thoughts appreciated

Orbis

Using the Windows quick format will be fine. You can also use cleaner.

lol

Please quick format all of your drives and send them to me. If you had relevant any info on it, I will have your bank account within 24 hours of receiving your drives.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

lol

Please quick format all of your drives and send them to me. If you had relevant any info on it, I will have your bank account within 24 hours of receiving your drives.

LOL

precisely what im trying to avoid.

thanks for pointing out.

LOL

precisely what im trying to avoid.

thanks for pointing out.

xD I am a little mean 

muh specs 

All parts black

lol

I don't have any important info on my HDD that I care for. I have physical copies of all my music and games and pictures I have backed up on 2 different external drives. No personal info though.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I don't have any important info on my HDD that I care for. I have physical copies of all my music and games and pictures I have backed up on 2 different external drives. No personal info though.

well I'll enjoy your games and music at least  ^_^

muh specs 

All parts black

I personally use DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) to completely zero the drive.

Although, a full format of the drive will be sufficient.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

So.

ie. magnets?

All thoughts appreciated

Orbis

Hey there Orbis_Domitor,

Writing zeros would be the most effective and problem-free way to do that. Filling each bit with a zero makes the data on the drive practically nearly impossible to retrieve. I could recommend using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic too to do that. Go for the full erase. Do have in mind that this takes a very long time to complete (the larger the capacity of the drive - the longer). Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=M73IAb

Feel free to ask if you happen to have any questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/