CRAZY HEAT PROBLEM HELP

Crazy_guy_757

I just started using my new pc today and the cooler is was using (Cooler Master Hyper TX3) was giving me high 50s to 60s IDLE so i replaced the thermal paste 2-3 times and still getting problems, switched to the stock cooler and still 50s to 60s, I dont know what to do.

HELP

No problem, just add a potato to your AMD i7 and it will work.

Specs please.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

I'm using what came with the tx3

reseat it, sounds like it didn't get a get seal. Also see if the brakets are loose.

What happens if you start aida64? Does it immediately skyrocket? What thermal paste did you use? Some pastes such as Arctic Silver need to be under thermal load to "set"

I have one of 'these' pastes and they aren't this drastic.  Maybe 5-10 degrees at most.

@OP is the mount on there good and snug?

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

do you have good/decent case airflow?  what are your cpu fan speeds like?  have you checked your cpu voltage?

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Heres the voltages http://imgur.com/mVQEqq1

like darkyoshi said I'd try and put the cpu under load and very closely monitor the temps. Amd is notorious for shoddy, not even actually temperature sensors (i believe that extends too apu's). They could be way off

Do things feel hot? At 60c you should be able to feel some heat coming off pretty good

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Heres the voltages http://imgur.com/mVQEqq1

No wonder you get high temperatures, look at your cpu voltage, it's too damn high!

Higher voltage = more heat.

I can't really advise you what voltage you should set, but 1.4 is definetly too high for an air cooler, even the best one.

Do you have any automatic perfomance-enhancements enabled in the BIOS or OS (via additional software)? The voltages seem very high.

Also does your CPU change it's clockspeed with changing load? If not that would explain the high idle-temperatures.

Edit: Here is a forum thread addressing this problem.

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

Build-log (way out of date)

No wonder you get high temperatures, look at your cpu voltage, it's too damn high!

Higher voltage = more heat.

I can't really advise you what voltage you should set, but 1.4 is definetly too high for an air cooler, even the best one.

Not necessarily, I am running at 1.5v and have a temp of 42c with air cooling. I am running an AMD 9370 @ 4.4ghz

Not necessarily, I am running at 1.5v and have a temp of 42c with air cooling. I am running an AMD 9370 @ 4.4ghz

I'm just curious, but what air cooler are you using? And are these your idle temps, or your load temps?

CodeMaster (Name Due for Update):

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

I'm just curious, but what air cooler are you using? And are these your idle temps, or your load temps?

Yes this is idle temps, well I say idle. I have roughly 6 browsers going, an IM service for work, Outlook and a few other things, but no games at the moment. with a load on it playing a game I have reached about 52c to 54c but nothing extreme. I have 2 140mm in the front, 1 140mm in the back, a Cooler Master Dual fan CPU fan, top of case is open (mesh) for air flow.

Yes this is idle temps, well I say idle. I have roughly 6 browsers going, an IM service for work, Outlook and a few other things, but no games at the moment. with a load on it playing a game I have reached about 52c to 54c but nothing extreme. I have 2 140mm in the front, 1 140mm in the back, a Cooler Master Dual fan CPU fan, top of case is open (mesh) for air flow.

Huh. That sounds pretty great, to be honest! I guess I was just thrown off a bit by the 1.5V and the fact that it's a 220W-rated AMD FX CPU. I have friend that has the FX-9590, and that thing runs HOT, even with an H110i GT attached.

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

Huh. That sounds pretty great, to be honest! I guess I was just thrown off a bit by the 1.5V and the fact that it's a 220W-rated AMD FX CPU. I have friend that has the FX-9590, and that thing runs HOT, even with an H110i GT attached.

Well here is the thing about the all inclusive CPU water coolers like the one you mention. And to give you a little of my back ground so you understand where I am coming from. I am an energy and controls engineer. I started as a commercial/industrial electrician 27yrs ago, I installed control systems and programmed them for commercial and industrial cooling and power plants.

The all inclusive CPU water cooler like the one you mention above does not really have lot of travel time for the water from the time it leaves the CPU block, goes back through the radiator and then back to the CPU, so it doesnt really have a lot of time for the water to cool very much before it gets back to the CPU and then re heats all over again.

Air cooling is simple thermo dynamics, heat rises. If you have side bottom case fans bringing in air, front fans bringing in air, or side panel fans bringing in air, then either an open top or fans in the top pushing air out, and the rear fan pushing air out you are then helping to push the heat in the direction it already wants to go anyway. Plus creating the mostly positive preasure will help keep dust out.

I sincerely hope I didnt come across the wrong way, I do that sometimes and dont mean to.

Well here is the thing about the all inclusive CPU water coolers like the one you mention. And to give you a little of my back ground so you understand where I am coming from. I am an energy and controls engineer. I started as a commercial/industrial electrician 27yrs ago, I installed control systems and programmed them for commercial and industrial cooling and power plants.

The all inclusive CPU water cooler like the one you mention above does not really have lot of travel time for the water from the time it leaves the CPU block, goes back through the radiator and then back to the CPU, so it doesnt really have a lot of time for the water to cool very much before it gets back to the CPU and then re heats all over again.

Air cooling is simple thermo dynamics, heat rises. If you have side bottom case fans bringing in air, front fans bringing in air, or side panel fans bringing in air, then either an open top or fans in the top pushing air out, and the rear fan pushing air out you are then helping to push the heat in the direction it already wants to go anyway. Plus creating the mostly positive preasure will help keep dust out.

I sincerely hope I didnt come across the wrong way, I do that sometimes and dont mean to.

Oh no, I complete get what you're saying, no worries. I know that, for the most part, AIO water coolers don't tend have much more cooling potential than corresponding air-coolers, and that water-cooling only really starts to shine with larger, custom loops. Still, my friend with the FX-9590 went from using a Hyper 212 Evo to the H110i GT, so I think he got a fairly decent upgrade in terms of overall cooling capabilities.

Oh no, I complete get what you're saying, no worries. I know that, for the most part, AIO water coolers don't tend have much more cooling potential than corresponding air-coolers, and that water-cooling only really starts to shine with larger, custom loops. Still, my friend with the FX-9590 went from using a Hyper 212 Evo to the H110i GT, so I think he got a fairly decent upgrade in terms of overall cooling capabilities.

Yeah to make a real difference in temps with water the loop needs to be a good bit longer/ Thats why in large chillers or cooling towers the copper loop is a coil that it hundreds of feet long if you straightened it out. And copper is the best cooling pipping around. I helped a friend custom make a cooling system from copper tubing with a decent coil in it hidden in the case and he gets pretty good temps.

[...]

[...]

If by additional time to travel you meant additional cooling-capacity, I understand your point and you can ignore the following text.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the time the coolant spends in the radiator(s) is relative to the time it spends in the cooling-blocks. Therefore the speed of the coolant-flow shouldn't make a significant difference, once it's above a system-specific value. The coolant should get a similar relative time to heat up as it gets to cool down so the travel-time shouldn't affect temperatures much.

By changing the flow-rate you mostly just increase or decrease the inlet-outlet-delta-temperature of all components, but not the coolant-mean-temperature.

Again, if you meant additional cooling capacity, I understand your argument.

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

If by additional time to travel you meant additional cooling-capacity, I understand your point and you can ignore the following text.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the time the coolant spends in the radiator(s) is relative to the time it spends in the cooling-blocks. Therefore the speed of the coolant-flow shouldn't make a significant difference, once it's above a system-specific value. The coolant should get a similar relative time to heat up as it gets to cool down so the travel-time shouldn't affect temperatures much.

By changing the flow-rate you mostly just increase or decrease the inlet-outlet-delta-temperature of all components, but not the coolant-mean-temperature.

Again, if you meant additional cooling capacity, I understand your argument.

Yes, additional cooling capacity. There isnt really enough distance or length in the tubing run or the within the radiator to make significant change in the temprature. So its not about speed, its about heat disipation. Dont get me wrong, the all in one CPU coolers are good for maintaining good temps, but I achieve good temps with air cooling as well. And I am not against liquid cooling, with a larger case then the one I currently have, using copper, I myself would use liquid cooling but would create a copper loop/coil that would be in line with the raidator to better disipait heat.

Yes, additional cooling capacity. There isnt really enough distance or length in the tubing run or the within the radiator to make significant change in the temprature. So its not about speed, its about heat disipation. Dont get me wrong, the all in one CPU coolers are good for maintaining good temps, but I achieve good temps with air cooling as well. And I am not against liquid cooling, with a larger case then the one I currently have, using copper, I myself would use liquid cooling but would create a copper loop/coil that would be in line with the raidator to better disipait heat.

Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying.

I am not really a fan of AIO, either, but that's because the pump-noise would actually make a difference in my system.

I also like the simplicity of air-cooling.

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying.

I am not really a fan of AIO, either, but that's because the pump-noise would actually make a difference in my system.

I also like the simplicity of air-cooling.

I'm an old timer, I can remember when there was nothing but air cooling, so it is what I grew up with. Plus my work environment is all about energy/cooling/electricity and control. If you bring in air from front/sides/bottom and push air out through top and back with enough air flow you can maintain very good temps even with a load. Currently I am maintaining 42c CPU temp @ 1.5v CPU and 23c MB temp, CPU clock is 4.4ghz