Laptop wont load login screen on first startup, works on restart

PilotA256
Go to solution Solved by DrackyWacky,

Have you tried disabling fastboot in the BIOS? I have seen that a lot of the time when people describe issues like this, it is usually an issue with this feature.

Hi all,

I've been having a rather peculiar issue with my laptop as of late. I find that when I boot my computer after shutting it down beforehand, it won't load the login screen, it just loads a blank screen instead. After a little while it restarts and boots into the login screen fine. The solution I have for now is after the logo disappears and the blank screen is displayed, I hold the power button then turn my computer on again, at which point it works. Also, if from windows I select restart instead of shutdown, it restarts and loads the login screen fine.

I do notice that when the logo appears on the first boot, the options at the bottom (press F2 for Setup, F12 for something else, etc etc) dont display and the spinning loading dots dont display either, the logo just appears for a few seconds then disappears and the blank screen appears. These options and dots all appear when I force restart it or it automatically restarts before loading the login screen correctly.

I've made sure all my drivers are up to date and disabled the option in Windows Startup to display OS options for x time, both to no avail. I'm not sure what exactly is happening, my first assumption was the boot order was set incorrectly however upon looking in the BIOS there's only one Boot priority and it is Windows Boot Manager (intel volume 1), so I assume that's all fine.

I've attached a DxDiag if that helps, but I can't think of anything else to try now - the issue has been occurring sometime near the upgrade to windows 10, but I can't remember whether it coincided with the upgrade or if it started afterwards, I'm not sure what Windows 10 would have done to cause it anyway even if it did coincide.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony

DxDiag.txt

Have you tried disabling fastboot in the BIOS? I have seen that a lot of the time when people describe issues like this, it is usually an issue with this feature.

Ahh, thought I'd turned that off already when I first got it because I heard that it had issues, just dug around and yup it turns out I hadn't. Turning that off seems to have worked, thanks!

Anthony